Options

Qatar tells tourists to dress according to its 'culture and values'

AdsAds Posts: 37,062
Forum Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2641453/Qatars-clothing-modesty-campaign-clarifies-stance-leggings-new-advertising-campaign.html

The World Cup in 2022 should be fun then! :o

A lot of the Daily Mail commentators are making the point that tourists from the Middle East certainly don't show Brits the same courtesy by wearing Burkas - I guess its a salient point, but I think we in Britain show the Qatari's to be the repressive regime they are by allowing people to wear what they want, and not dictate to people what they can and cannot wear.

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's their country's rules. They're only asking women to have from their shoulders to their knees covered. I think this is fair enough. I'd imagine that there'd be very thin clothes for women out there that would do this.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I've no interest whatsoever in visiting their country, so they can say what they like.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck with that plan.:o
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How on earth FIFA gave them the world cup in the first place is beyond belief, and there can only be one reason. They bought it. Disgraceful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the leggings aren't pants point though...
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How on earth FIFA gave them the world cup in the first place is beyond belief, and there can only be one reason. They bought it. Disgraceful.

Yes indeed.

Corruption at it's finest.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very, very well established what the acceptable forms of dress are - I don't see any issue.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    redrose89 wrote: »
    I agree with the leggings aren't pants point though...

I'm glad they reprinted that flyer in colour. I was convinced that the third image from the left was naked from the waist down in the first photograph.:o. I mean, I know football fans get out of order but not to that extent.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which is why, despite all the outcry, it won't get switched to anywhere more suitable. That would mean the corrupt slime-bag Sepp Blatter and his cronies handing their suitcases of money back.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2641453/Qatars-clothing-modesty-campaign-clarifies-stance-leggings-new-advertising-campaign.html

A lot of the Daily Mail commentators are making the point that tourists from the Middle East certainly don't show Brits the same courtesy by wearing Burkas - I guess its a salient point, but I think we in Britain show the Qatari's to be the repressive regime they are by allowing people to wear what they want, and not dictate to people what they can and cannot wear.

its their rules at the end of the day, if you you don't like it, don't go there
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    do they dress western when they jet in to europe...what hypocrites ...people should stay away
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    As others have said, it's their country and their rules. Don't like it, don't go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    It's their country's rules. They're only asking women to have from their shoulders to their knees covered. I think this is fair enough.

Its not really fair enough for any women who live out there thought who might not want to be told by the state what they can and cannot wear? Would you be happy if the UK Government brought in laws saying what you can and cannot wear?
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is repressive to dress modestly, we should have a right to bollock naked since it is part of Western culture since Ads created a thread on DS

Some people think it is repressive that we have laws against speaking about the monarch in a negative way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lil_M wrote: »
    It is repressive to dress modestly, we should have a right to bollock naked since it is part of Western culture since Ads created a thread on DS

Some people think it is repressive that we have laws against speaking about the monarch in a negative way.

What on earth are you on about? :confused:
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People travel to Qatar for pleasure?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    do they dress western when they jet in to europe...what hypocrites ...people should stay away

I doubt Britain issues a leaflet on what to wear when coming here to see the World Cup. I don't think Britain has a dress code anyway. There's alsorts of clothing styles in Britain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What on earth are you on about? :confused:

Please tell me what is repressive about wearing clothes? Are you naked when you go to tesco? Nope, why make racist comments about Qatar?
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    There is some good old DS style hypocrisy on this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I doubt Britain issues a leaflet on what to wear when coming here to see the World Cup. I don't think Britain has a dress code anyway. There's alsorts of clothing styles in Britain.

It does.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do their slaves die according to their cultures and values?

Do tourists who go to any of these backward countries participate in murdering their slaves according to their cultures and values?
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

I doubt FIFA were that bothered about the political and civil rights in the country, just how much cash they could get into 'the bank account'.

The World Cup in 2022 should be fun then! :eek:

Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I've no interest whatsoever in visiting their country, so they can say what they like.

http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2013/qatar

http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2013/united-kingdom

Democracy versus dictatorship. Which one would you visit. Yep, I wouldn't be visiting Qatar (ever). Not until, it totally re-invents itself. The difference being is the UK is a pretty liberal country when it comes to dress code (amongst other things) and Qatar basically isn't.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member

The difference being burkas aren't immodest in Britain, or probably anywhere else. A comparison would being a naked tribesman visiting Britain and being asked not to walk round naked as we are accustomed to that being viewed as immodest. Perfectly reasonable. On the flip side I wouldn't expect to visit said tribesman's village and be told I had to strip off, which is similar to what we'd be asking Muslims to do if we forced them to adopt Western dress.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »

:D. Indeed and only a few posts in. Gladdens the heart, really.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »

And we're only on page 1 !

Edit - oh, page 2 now...