Channel 5 +24 may be closing.

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,314
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Heard/seen rumours that Viacom may be closing the relatively new Channel 5 +24 channel and replacing it with a Ginx TV format (Ginx TV are themselves alleged to be in financial trouble).

Game Trailer TV and Spike TV are amongst those that I've seen mentioned.

Anyone know how C5 +24 is doing in the ratings?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    But Viacom doesn't own C5 (as far as I know)!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Viacom doesn't own C5 (as far as I know)!
    They bought it on 1st May, just awaiting approval for the takeover but it is expected to go through. I do however very much doubt they have made decisions on closing any channels yet.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard/seen rumours that Viacom may be closing the relatively new Channel 5 +24 channel and replacing it with a Ginx TV format (Ginx TV are themselves alleged to be in financial trouble).

Anyone know how C5 +24 is doing in the ratings?

Got a source?

As far as I know the channel timeshares on Freeview so whatever they replace would only be 24hrs on other platforms
    They bought it on 1st May, just awaiting approval for the takeover but it is expected to go through. I do however very much doubt they have made decisions on closing any channels yet.

I think anyone with logic would plan to close 5+24 down as soon as humanly possible.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member

The former is a show, not a channel, so the latter would be more likely.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Got a source?

As far as I know the channel timeshares on Freeview so whatever they replace would only be 24hrs on other platforms

I think anyone with logic would plan to close 5+24 down as soon as humanly possible.

No credible source/proof, it's just rumours going round at present.
    beemoh wrote: »
    The former is a show, not a channel, so the latter would be more likely.

The rumours about Game Trailer TV are that the show branding will be used to create a seperate television channel.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    The rumours about Game Trailer TV are that the show branding will be used to create a seperate television channel.

Interesting.

Dunno what they'd fill it with (There is content outside the main show on the GT website, but very little of it would fit on TV) unless there's a major tie-in with Ginx TV, though.

EDIT: Maybe a timeshare/fixed-hours rebrand, similar to Cartoon Network/Adult Swim in the US? Can't say that format wholly worked for XLeague, though.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beemoh wrote: »
    Interesting.

Dunno what they'd fill it with (There is content outside the main show on the GT website, but very little of it would fit on TV) unless there's a major tie-in with Ginx TV, though.

EDIT: Maybe a timeshare/fixed-hours rebrand, similar to Cartoon Network/Adult Swim in the US? Can't say that format wholly worked for XLeague, though.

Maybe it will be a timeshare or fixed hours channel, i'm not sure as no details about any broadcasting hours have been mentioned so far.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No credible source/proof, it's just rumours going round at present.
    And we all know how credible rumours tend to be, especially those that sweep round the internet and especially social media sites.
  • RacketRacket Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    Didn't Viacom just sell off GameTrailers?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It ain't been on long has it?
  • tvsatweektvsatweek Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should be sky 2 hd we need sky 2 hd
  • mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 5 +24 doesn't really show an exact 24hr repeat of the channel anyway. Most of the day it shows teleshopping and most films shown on Sunday don't get repeated and is replaced by alternative programming. So its not really a +24hr channel, more like 5 version of 4 Seven.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvsatweek wrote: »

What's that got to do with anything being discussed here?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattyb wrote: »
    Channel 5 +24 doesn't really show an exact 24hr repeat of the channel anyway. Most of the day it shows teleshopping and most films shown on Sunday don't get repeated and is replaced by alternative programming. So its not really a +24hr channel, more like 5 version of 4 Seven.

IMO it's a pointless waste of space.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    tvsatweek wrote: »

And just how does Sky2HD relate to CHANNEL 5?!?!?! :confused::confused::confused:

As a concept, it was unique, but a +1 channel, 5oD are enough IMHO... a +24 channel isn't really needed in todays world!
  • bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wont be closed straight away, I think they need to give 24 hours notice :D
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Closing it for a niche channel isn't going to bring in viewers.

I can see it closing yes but VIVA+1 would probably get more viewers.
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wont be closed straight away, I think they need to give 24 hours notice :D

(Granada) Plus shut down with little or no notice, half way through an episode of 'Pie In The Sky'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Closing it for a niche channel isn't going to bring in viewers.

I can see it closing yes but VIVA+1 would probably get more viewers.

Spike TV is far from niche
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spike TV is far from niche

Spike TV (if it could get the rights for some of the shows they show in the US) would provide good competition to itv4 and Dave.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Definitely, especially as it's really just a teleshopping channel for around 19 hours per day on DTT.

I think there's a good chance Viacom will close it but the claims about Spike TV or some kind of video game channel are just rumours (or, quite probably, wishful thinking presented as a rumour).
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Freeview could do with a channel like VH1 since they won't want to use Comedy Central or MTV name on Freeview.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorksdave wrote: »
    Spike TV (if it could get the rights for some of the shows they show in the US) would provide good competition to itv4 and Dave.

Which makes logical sense with the amount of female skewed channels recently launched (TLC, LifeTime, ITV Be)
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginx Tv, get that babe Julia Hardy back on :D