Downloads slow from certain sites (and Windows Update problem)

DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey all,

First noticed this problem a couple of weeks ago when I tried to download a Playstation 3 Software Update (2.53) on my PS3, and it was taking forever (when downloading directly using the PS3 and downloading using the PC onto a USB key), crawling at some 2 kb/s (see http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=948968)

Anyway, since then I've also found it to be the case with Microsoft Update (which now fails to work at all, but more on that later) and the Microsoft download centre website. Because Microsoft Update doesn't work, I tried to download .NET Framework 3.0 off the Microsoft website, but again, it crawls at 2 kb/s.

Thing is, I can browse the internet as normal (I have a 4MB connection), my brother is playing Xbox Live with no problem, I just downloaded Adobe Reader 9 from Adobe.com at 250kb/s and internet speed checkers all come up with a download speed result of around 2800kbps. I've restored my Wireless router to factory settings and have since re-entered the settings, updated the firmware etc.

I use IE7 for Microsoft Update because you have to, but Firefox for everything else (including the attempted downloads from Microsoft download centre).

OK, so now for problem number 2.

I ran Microsoft Update earlier today with no problem and installed a few updates with no problem. (Actually, I literally just checked my Add/Remove Programs, expecting to see .NET Framework 2.0, but it's not there, telling me that maybe the updates didn't work...) Regardless, since the last attempted update, it won't work any more. It gets to the page saying "Checking to see if your system has the latest software for updates" or words to that effect, but then freezes. IE7 stops responding, and I have to end it using Task Manager. I've tried all the solutions suggested here http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&tid=2d13ba14-d480-42a9-a28e-00fc21700063&p=1.. I'm now going to try and repair my IE7 installation.

Any help would be great appreciated. I'm on Tiscali MAX (up to 20mb/s) by the way.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    all my .NET Frameworks are there 1.1 , 1.1 hotfix. 2.0 and 3.0

have you uninstalled them?
  • DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all my .NET Frameworks are there 1.1 , 1.1 hotfix. 2.0 and 3.0

have you uninstalled them?

I had .NET 1.1 and the hotfix, but I've since uninstalled them in the hope that it might make Microsoft Update work, although I'm clutching at straws now :p

I don't see how the fact all of your .NET Frameworks are present is relevant though :confused:

Thanks anyway.
  • DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, I've fixed the Microsoft Update problem, thanks to some help on another forum for somebody with a similar issue. I've lost the link though, otherwise I'd post it. Involved going into Command Prompt, disabling the wucrypt service or something, renaming a folder in the system32 directory and then re-enabling the service. Sorry I can't be more specific!

Now it's just downloading a load of updates (.NET frameworks, some Office 2007 stuff, IE7 - I downgraded to IE6 in a bid to fix Microsoft Update) really slowly (about 20kb/s I think) but it's better than nothing, and certainly better than 2kb/s!

So now it's just the internet download speeds issue.