Any of these cheap plasmas any good?

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Considering Pioneers are still the reference TV of today, HD ready included, is why what you say should be taken with a pinch of salt. ;)

What a ludicrous statement :p

So a 480 resolution Pioneer Plasma is the reference today for 1080P BluRay - they didn't even do PAL resolution, never mind HD.
    Forum Member
    hardylane wrote: »
    Should've gone to Specsavers.

I have, have you? :p

Mine is superb.

And what have you compared it with? - and can you tell instantly if you're watching HD or not (without OSD or DOGS).
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Deacon1972 is referring to the hd ready pioneers (4280, 5080 etc). Which are still brilliant displays.
    http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Pioneer-PDP4280XD/Conclusion.php
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    What a ludicrous statement :p

So a 480 resolution Pioneer Plasma is the reference today for 1080P BluRay - they didn't even do PAL resolution, never mind HD.
    Come on Nigel, you know we are discussing HD ready plasma so why mention SD resolution.....

Pioneer's HD ready plasma's were market leaders in pq, manufacturers today strive to equal what Pioneer achieved.

The latest batch of HD ready plasma's may have subjective pq, but that's not to say every HD ready plasma is rubbish/crap at displaying HD, that simply is not true.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering Pioneers are still the reference TV of today, HD ready included, is why what you say should be taken with a pinch of salt. ;)

My 50" Pioneer Kuro is three years old now and I've not seen anything around today in terms of picture quality to match it,
    Forum Member
    The latest batch of HD ready plasma's may have subjective pq, but that's not to say every HD ready plasma is rubbish/crap at displaying HD, that simply is not true.

I've yet to see one that isn't - including all the Pioneers I've seen.
  • hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have, have you? :p

And what have you compared it with? - and can you tell instantly if you're watching HD or not (without OSD or DOGS).

I've compared it with my friend's 2012 65" Panasonic plasma.

Of course I can tell HD from SD.

I'm a technician.

Please don't patronise me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In your opinion. Which, at the end of the day, is all it really is. Not a fact. Just your opinion.
    Forum Member
    hardylane wrote: »
    I've compared it with my friend's 2012 65" Panasonic plasma.

Which is presumably a Full HD set and a Plasma, did you take your set round there, or his set to your house?.

Presumably neither, so not much of a comparison if they aren't side by side.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is presumably a Full HD set and a Plasma, did you take your set round there, or his set to your house?.

You really won't stop flogging a dead horse will you Nigel? This is why I rarely post on here... Mr 34,000 postings and his unimpeachable sarcastic expertise.

I refuse to justify my personal experience to someone who so clearly has none, and I refuse to lock horns with your smug intransigence yet again.
    Forum Member

The same could be asked of you regarding all the Pioneers you have seen - I trust you did a full side by side comparison for each one you've seen.

You work in the industry so you will know, or should know the reputation pioneer had, in fact still hold, even professionals still use them as they still have the best 2D PQ. Got to say you are the only one I know that has the opinion Pioneers are rubbish/crap.

I think it's plain to see where your where your loyalty lies. :D
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    The cheapest crappiest supermarket HD Ready LCD are stunning on HD, so why aren't HD Ready Plasma's?.

You seem to have a strange idea of picture quality. Very strange.
    Forum Member
    It's funny how all the Plasma fans (presumably in a desperate attempt to try and keep the technology alive?) refuse to entertain my continual advice to actually compare them side by side in a shop.

If Plasma's are supposedly so 'wonderful' why would you refuse to agree that it's a good idea to do your own comparison?.

As always, try them side by side on both SD and HD, and THEN make your own decision.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do Panny still make HD ready (ie not Full HD) sets then?
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Do Panny still make HD ready (ie not Full HD) sets then?

Yes they do - or at least they still did recently.

However, I've just checked on the Panasonic website and it seems not to bother mentioning the panel resolutions?.
  • anapanap Posts: 6,925
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    anap wrote: »

Nice link - but I'd be more impressed if they didn't wrongly call it a 720P set :p
    Forum Member

As always, try them side by side on both SD and HD, and THEN make your own decision.

I did extensive comparisons, I hope most would, the problem is you continually telling everyone that bought plasma they have made a poor decision.
    Yes they do - or at least they still did recently.

However, I've just checked on the Panasonic website and it seems not to bother mentioning the panel resolutions?.

It does if you go to the "specifications page"

GENERAL

Suppliers Trademark Panasonic

Model ID TX-P50X60B

Energy Efficiency Class B

Visible ScreenSize (diagonal) 127 cm/50 inches

On mode Average Power Consumption*** 132 W

Annual Energy Consumption**** 183 kWh/year

Standby Power Consumption 0.40 W

Off mode Power Consumption 0.30 W

Screen Resolution 1,024 (W) x 768 (H)

Rated Power Consumption 240 W

Power Supply AC 220- 240V, 50/60 Hz

Dimensions (W x H x D) (w/o stand) 1,184 x 716 x 81 mm (General depth: 63 mm)

Dimensions (W x H x D) (with stand) 1,184 x 757 x 266 mm

Weight (w/o stand) 20.5 kg

Weight (with stand) 21.5 kg

Swivel Angle —

Wall Bracket TY-WK4P1RW

VESA Compatible —

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/VIERA+Flat+Screen+TV/2013+New+VIERA+TV/TX-P50X60B/Specification/12231891/index.html?trackInfo=true
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    It's funny how all the Plasma fans (presumably in a desperate attempt to try and keep the technology alive?) refuse to entertain my continual advice to actually compare them side by side in a shop.

If Plasma's are supposedly so 'wonderful' why would you refuse to agree that it's a good idea to do your own comparison?.

I have an HD ready plasma and a full HD LCD in the same room. Yes, an actual living room - not a brightly lit (or any other kind of) shop.

The LCD is sharper and has more spatial detail on true HD material but it definitely doesn't have a better picture from a normal viewing position (not "nose to the screen"). Spatial resolution and sharpness isn't everything, in fact, it's not even half. If I needed a new set, I'd take one of those cheap Panasonic HD Ready plasmas in preference to any similarly priced LCD set... but my plasma is still going strong after 5 years.
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plasmas do look dim in a shop but that's because of the ridiculous bright lighting.
    Put one in a house and they are completely different. You can't compare lcds and plasmas in a shop so that's probably where your going wrong Nigel.
    Forum Member
    webbie wrote: »
    Plasmas do look dim in a shop but that's because of the ridiculous bright lighting.
    Put one in a house and they are completely different. You can't compare lcds and plasmas in a shop so that's probably where your going wrong Nigel.

Except I'm not comparing the lower brightness levels, and not exclusively in shops either.

I have an HD Ready Plasma at home (my main TV, which I'm VERY happy with) and (like others I've tried) it's not really worth bothering with HD on it - I watch Sky+ in preference to my Freeview HD box via it.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anap wrote: »

Not HD ready, its got Freeview HD, so cant be called HD ready.
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Not HD ready, its got Freeview HD, so cant be called HD ready.

Thought that was just one of the conditions for the HD ready label in the states, not the UK?
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The problem with most shops is that they are crap at displaying TV sets. i have seen plasma and LCD sets side by side, the same make as well. but in a house and I still prefer plasma, better blacks for a start. But some one else may find LCD is better.

Not been impressed with LED sets, the few I have seen, seems to be pretty dull, it is as if the LEDs can't cope with lighting the screen.