Thomas Dolby
    Human League
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    The Outfield are a great band.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably Talking Heads, though early New Order were great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisqc wrote: »
    Nkotb

Deary me...
  • StephenmarraStephenmarra Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of mine already mentioned but not.........
    The Pogues.
    Tom Waits changed from Bar Room Crooner to something a lot more interesting.
    The Slits. (Loved Ari Up)
    Tracy Chapman.:o
    The Specials.
    Dio.
    Stiff Little Fingers.
  • TheWildHeartTheWildHeart Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    chrisqc wrote: »
    Nkotb
    barely qualify as 80's when they only spent a few weeks in the chart.. most of their material was 90's, as was the production etc.

Thing is, mushymanrob, chrisqc is noted as living in Canada. NKOTB released three albums in the US and Canada during the 1980s, the first in 1986, the second in 1988 (their biggest seller) and a third (a Christmas album) in 1989. Chrisqc is basing his or her choice on the Canadian market, a market that obviously differs to the UK in terms of when NKOTB released their music and when it charted (I'm aware their debut album didn't achieve multi-platinum success in the US or Canada until 1989 but that doesn't change the fact it was first released in 1986). The fact that chrisqc doesn't live in the UK probably means they aren't aware that the bands second album wasn't released there until 1989 (it reached its peak of #2 in Dec of that year), while their Christmas album and debut album didn't chart until the end of 1990 (at least according the Guinness book of British Hit Singles and Albums). By the way, the pop/dance sound on their debut album is very much 1980s as is a lot of the songs on their second album, they're certainly albums of their time.

Quit assuming everyone on this board lives in the UK. You always base arguments and threads on UK success and impact while often disregarding the views of people who live elsewhere and coming across as increasingly condescending towards them. I couldn't care less if this site is British, there's a big, big, big world out there that doesn't centre on the UK. As far as I'm concerned if a band or singer have released one album or more in a specific decade then that band or singer can be included in a list that focuses on that decade.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thing is, mushymanrob, chrisqc is noted as living in Canada. NKOTB released three albums in the US and Canada during the 1980s, the first in 1986, the second in 1988 (their biggest seller) and a third (a Christmas album) in 1989. Chrisqc is basing his or her choice on the Canadian market, a market that obviously differs to the UK in terms of when NKOTB released their music and when it charted (I'm aware their debut album didn't achieve multi-platinum success in the US or Canada until 1989 but that doesn't change the fact it was first released in 1986). The fact that chrisqc doesn't live in the UK probably means they aren't aware that the bands second album wasn't released there until 1989 (it reached its peak of #2 in Dec of that year), while their Christmas album and debut album didn't chart until the end of 1990 (at least according the Guinness book of British Hit Singles and Albums). By the way, the pop/dance sound on their debut album is very much 1980s as is a lot of the songs on their second album, they're certainly albums of their time.

fair comment :)
    Quit assuming everyone on this board lives in the UK. You always base arguments and threads on UK success and impact while often disregarding the views of people who live elsewhere and coming across as increasingly condescending towards them. I couldn't care less if this site is British, there's a big, big, big world out there that doesn't centre on the UK. .

yep, i do, and will continue to do so as long as ds is a british based site and 99% of membership is uk based. just look at the homepage, the tv progs, etc its all uk based or are about things from (mainly america) that effect the uk market. whilst the big big world doesnt centre on the uk, this site does! :p
  • Morgan66Morgan66 Posts: 1,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duran Duran
    The Associates
    The Beat
    Depeche Mode
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Men Without Hats
  • Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944