I just cannot warm to Alex

13»

Comments

• Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That depends on what you consider lots, lots of people on DS dislike Madonna, including me but she still sells records.

Don't worry PP - there's not a single contestant on the X factor who is universally liked. When they win there are going to be more people writing about them, that's all. I'm not an Alex fan myself - I don't hate her, but I don't love her singing either. It's just down to personal taste. And she has got a bit of a gushing OTT personality at the moment. Maybe she'll calm down when she gets used to being famous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    would it really matter if you warmed to her or not i mean its not like you see her in everyday life
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would it really matter if you warmed to her or not i mean its not like you see her in everyday life

Not much about what we talk about on here REALLY matters :)
  • GonzoTheGreatGonzoTheGreat Posts: 4,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suniil wrote: »
    may be! but majority of xfactor audience think she is good, hence she got more than 4.5m votes :)

Loads voted for Leon too, but they didn't find him likeable enough to buy into a 2nd single.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads voted for Leon too, but they didn't find him likeable enough to buy into a 2nd single.

Lurrrrve Leon's velvet vocals....:D I like Alex....:)
  • JennylooJennyloo Posts: 14,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel the same - I'm indifferent really - don't hate her, don't like her. Her voice is good but her singing doesn't move me. I'd rather hear Rachel sing, for all her imperfections, as there were a few moments of magic there.

Rachel had a natural, earthy voice but her personality didnt gel. Laura did too. Thought Diane had more appeal especially commercially.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in the same boat, i feel i should like her, and i think she is a worthy winner, but i dont find her genuine and dont feel she has the x factor
  • Imogen MImogen M Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is just very exicted right now, and needs to be clamed.

She desperately needs someone to take her aside and reign her in. If this doesn't happen soon there could be long term damage done. She is hopeless in interviews - far too naieve of journalists. She's already had her quotes twisted and one day she'll say something genuinely stupid that could bring her real harm if people allow her to continue on the current track.
  • olliehotolliehot Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    know what u mean
  • mpskentukmpskentuk Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex is a tabloid hacks dream.
  • Imogen MImogen M Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mpskentuk wrote: »
    Alex is a tabloid hacks dream.

Simon (or whoever else helps look after artists on his label, if anyone) should be guarding her more. He obviously worked much more closely with Leona and groomed her into her current clean-cut image, but I think if anyone needs looking after, it's Alex. Alex is not remotely media savvy and it will be her undoing if she is left to carry on like she is.

I do feel sorry for her because of this. It would take no work on their part for the media to villfy her at this present stage. She's such an easy target right now it has me scared for her and I'm not even a fan.
  • GonzoTheGreatGonzoTheGreat Posts: 4,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ZipGypsy wrote: »
    Lurrrrve Leon's velvet vocals....:D I like Alex....:)

LOL, point being, just because an act wins no longer really guarantees em instant success. I think the public have got a bit too media savvy by now towards reality TV for that kinda manipulation to work on a longterm scale while the shows are off air ... but for sure, in every year of the show, they have used manipulation for sure to get the winner the producers want. Some winners have been more talented than others and not needed as much of it tho ... with Alex, Cowell almost put in an Oscar winning performance as to how she was the "true winner", Cole was almost in tears - all before she won, so there was obviously some question amongst them as to whether the public was taking to her as much as they were trying to spin in those last couple of weeks.

The X-Factor result is 20% talent, 80% PR excercise, the producers dont trust the public to come up with the right decision ... and you have to look in amazement as to how instantly (in almost one episode) they managed to turn Alex into "World Class Diva" from "Nothing different, not yourself", and Diana from "only relevant entrant in series" to "lost what you had", all with the press turning round their coverage of the two as well. It shows you how much the X-Factor people control the whole pantomime, including what gets reported, and how much what the judges say influences people, and how carefully its timed to swing things round for who they want. Look at Eoghan, if he would have been rejected in the first round auditions would anybody have seriously blinked an eyelid? They build these people up, knock em down - the actual acts do very little different from day one and have very little time or tuition during the show to make any improvement. The public just believe what they are told a bit too easily, and thats how they sell 100 gazillion copies of Hallelujah and make an absolute mint.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imogen M wrote: »
    Simon (or whoever else helps look after artists on his label, if anyone) should be guarding her more. He obviously worked much more closely with Leona and groomed her into her current clean-cut image, but I think if anyone needs looking after, it's Alex. Alex is not remotely media savvy and it will be her undoing if she is left to carry on like she is.

I do feel sorry for her because of this. It would take no work on their part for the media to villfy her at this present stage. She's such an easy target right now it has me scared for her and I'm not even a fan.

Leona already had the training before she went on the X-Factor. Also, as most people were very aware Leona is quite a shy person off stage. The tabloids tried making stuff up about Leona (like the recent nightclub drinking crap and the is she having an affair nonsense) but it just won't wash. Leona tends to give bland answers to media questions (who can blame her?) so they just tend not to bother. They don't follow Leona around Hackney (would you walk around Hackney with an expensive camera around your neck and expect to live out the day:D)

Alex seems to love any media attention. But in return the tabloids expect their pound of flesh. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Alex seems to be copying Cheryl Cole. Thing is Cole is an established celeb and can get away with all the crap. Alex is trying to build a career as a singer. One wrong interview and the whole thing could blow up in her face before she's even recorded her album. Her recent comment about men being a typical example.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL, point being, just because an act wins no longer really guarantees em instant success. I think the public have got a bit too media savvy by now towards reality TV for that kinda manipulation to work on a longterm scale while the shows are off air ... but for sure, in every year of the show, they have used manipulation for sure to get the winner the producers want. Some winners have been more talented than others and not needed as much of it tho ... with Alex, Cowell almost put in an Oscar winning performance as to how she was the "true winner", Cole was almost in tears - all before she won, so there was obviously some question amongst them as to whether the public was taking to her as much as they were trying to spin in those last couple of weeks.

The X-Factor result is 20% talent, 80% PR excercise, the producers dont trust the public to come up with the right decision ... and you have to look in amazement as to how instantly (in almost one episode) they managed to turn Alex into "World Class Diva" from "Nothing different, not yourself", and Diana from "only relevant entrant in series" to "lost what you had", all with the press turning round their coverage of the two as well. It shows you how much the X-Factor people control the whole pantomime, including what gets reported, and how much what the judges say influences people, and how carefully its timed to swing things round for who they want. Look at Eoghan, if he would have been rejected in the first round auditions would anybody have seriously blinked an eyelid? They build these people up, knock em down - the actual acts do very little different from day one and have very little time or tuition during the show to make any improvement. The public just believe what they are told a bit too easily, and thats how they sell 100 gazillion copies of Hallelujah and make an absolute mint.

I agree with some of the above. However, the reason that the winners song sells so well is simply people like a souvenir of a show they've followed for months. Just as people often buy a record they hear played on holiday a lot. After a while, they lose interest and move on to the next holiday. How many people buy the album of an artist they've heard a single of in the nightclub on holiday? Not many I bet, most just want THAT track and that's the same with the X-Factor. I bet there are thousands of people who have every winners record but not a single winners album.

I'm quite sure that Simon looks at the market to see what is going on and how he can make money. Take Same Difference. He clearly would have liked them to do well as he knew there was a lot of interest from Tweenies in the likes of High School Musical and Miley Cyrus, so he could see a market for them. With Leon he probably wanted Rhydian to win but Leon might work well with the Michael Bubble (or whatever his name is) brigade.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    alex this..and alex that..blah.blah..blah..Go Away alex..lol..
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't warmed to her either. She's the first X Factor winner who I don't get any 'likeable' or 'modest' vibe from. I think her hysterics when she sang with Beyonce, and when she won, were OTT and a bit scripted. The keeling over next to Cheryl etc.

Don't jump on me now. It's my opinion!
  • lollyishlollyish Posts: 9,717
    Forum Member
    I never warmed to her. No change there.