Microsoft unveils Windows 10 operating system

Comments

• call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Thanks for the video, Not much new to be honest, if MS done the option for the start menu to be text only and not tiles I may be more interested, but I hated the tiles on windows 8, so having them on windows 10 in a menu system is worse.
    I suppose some of the third party menus will work with ten.
    I'm still not sure why you continually pop up on the W10 thread when you don't use it and don't like it. I think you are more into it than you like to admit....:cool:
    Anyway, the TP menus still work in W10.
    My main gripe with windows ten, ok my two main gripes are too much integration, with cortana, their sky drive and also with Skype. I use Skype, but I have my own username, which is separate and the problem with skype on windows 10 is that you need to use a MS account,
    You seem to be missing the point of W10 as an OS.
    You can download and use the desktop version of skype, if that is what you prefer and you can sign in with whatever account you have.
    The second one is their apps, they are awful and it takes time to get rid of them and to stop files from calling them up. Like say MP3 calling up the music player app, instead of windows media player.
    I takes as long to change the default player etc in W10 as it does in any other OS
    The other thing that worries me, is the lost of the control panel, will they get rid of that for their silly setting menu or will it stay? Ok Worry is a bit strong.
    I can still get to the control panel. There is no reason to get rid of it any more than they did in 8.1
    TBH, I was not a fan of windows 8, but I now got it working as I want it to work apart from my intermittent problem with it disconnecting from my network, but that happens in windows 10 as well, so changing to windows 10 will muck it up and I got a image of my computer as it stands if it goes belly up then I can just put the image back on. Not sure if I can be bothered any more with mucking about with operating systems,
    And yet you continue to do so.
    Mint is rock steady, which is what I am starting to use more than windows. windows is only for some software like Vegas these days.
    Best stick with the Linux threads then...;-)
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    I'm still not sure why you continually pop up on the W10 thread when you don't use it and don't like it. I think you are more into it than you like to admit....:cool:
    Anyway, the TP menus still work in W10.
    I like looking at different OS, I do not install them like I used to, I used to install different linux distros on my laptop or my other drive on this machine. These days I just watch videos about them.
    I like to know what is going on.
    some TP menus will work with windows 10, at the moment.,
    You seem to be missing the point of W10 as an OS.
    You can download and use the desktop version of skype, if that is what you prefer and you can sign in with whatever account you have.
    So what is the point of windows 10 as a OS?
    In my view a OS is so you can run software on it, not be spied on, not have a load of stuff that you can not get rid off installed.
    Windows have been getting more and more integrated for years and before windows 8 I knew it would not be long before MS puts a system in place to try and get you to connect to their servers all the time.
    Thankfully you do not have to use it, yet, but you do a install with a lan connection and getting past the MS account is a pain.

Sure the Skype desktop version run on ten, at the moment.
    I takes as long to change the default player etc in W10 as it does in any other OS

But it is not just the default player, PDF, pictures, videos, they are come up in the apps, which are a waste of space.
    I can still get to the control panel. There is no reason to get rid of it any more than they did in 8.1

But it is going around that MS may get rid of the control panel, they be silly if they did.
    And yet you continue to do so.

Not as much as i did, windows 8 and mint are the only OS on this computer now.
    Best stick with the Linux threads then...;-)

I would love to just stick with Linux and dump windows full stop, sadly I can't.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But it is going around that MS may get rid of the control panel, they be silly if they did.

IMO all the settings should be in the one place; either Control Panel or the new Settings app, but not spread between the two.

At the moment they are moving more and more settings from CP to Settings.
    Why they are doing it piecemeal, and not all at once is beyond me? But just as long as they end up with all the settings in one place by the final release. Or at least a seamless join between the two.

At the moment if you right click the desktop and choose 'Personalise' you are sent to the new app, but if you want to change the theme you are sent back to Control panel.
    That's not a professional set-up IMO.

Having said that, there's so much that can be accessed via CP (Device manager for instance) that I think they'll struggle to incorporate it all in the new app.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noise, just stop moaning and trolling threads..........give us all a blooming break.
    Forum Member
    But it is not just the default player, PDF, pictures, videos, they are come up in the apps, which are a waste of space.
    You can set your all defaults to anything you want, not just the default player.
    So what is the point of windows 10 as a OS?
    In my view a OS is so you can run software on it, not be spied on, not have a load of stuff that you can not get rid off installed.
    Windows have been getting more and more integrated for years and before windows 8 I knew it would not be long before MS puts a system in place to try and get you to connect to their servers all the time.
    Thankfully you do not have to use it, yet, but you do a install with a lan connection and getting past the MS account is a pain.
    The point is, that integration is the way to go for the future. The next generation will just expect to be connected all the time and be able to move between devices seamlessly. It's not what all present users may necessarily want granted, but things march on.
    They are logging preview users activity to see how the system is used and implement improvements as it moves on. This won't be carried forward to the full release. Those using the the Insider programme are fully aware of what is happening.
    Should you want to, you can still sign in with a local account and not with an MS account. The choice is there for those who want to opt out.
    So, you don't have to connect to their servers if you don't want to.
    Sure the Skype desktop version run on ten, at the moment.
    Yes it does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can set your all defaults to anything you want, not just the default player.

Just hassle.
    The point is, that integration is the way to go for the future. The next generation will just expect to be connected all the time and be able to move between devices seamlessly.
    so it is easier to spy on us.

It's not what all present users may necessarily want granted, but things march on.
    so that makes it ok then?
    They are logging preview users activity to see how the system is used and implement improvements as it moves on. This won't be carried forward to the full release. Those using the the Insider programme are fully aware of what is happening.

I understand it in the preview, I knew that when I signed up. Not sure if I trust them not to carry it on with the final release.

Should you want to, you can still sign in with a local account and not with an MS account. The choice is there for those who want to opt out.
    So, you don't have to connect to their servers if you don't want to.

Oh i do, use a local account, I just wonder how long it will be before you get little choice

Yes it does.
    I know it does, that is what I said, but for how long? If MS wants it all intergrated then it is easy enough to put a bit of code in either Skype or Windows 10 to stop Skype desktop working on 10.
    They done that with the One drive app to stop it working on Windows 8, so if you want to use the one drive on Windows 8, you have to link the whole computer up to a MS account.
    Thank goodness for dropbox.

I know there are a few good things about Windows 10, it is slightly faster on boot up and shutting down than windows 8 and it does run a bit smoother. But the whole App thing and integrating them more into Windows ten is pretty off putting.
    Forum Member
    Just hassle.
    No more than it is at present.
    Paranoia......Go live in a cave.
    I understand it in the preview, I knew that when I signed up. Not sure if I trust them not to carry it on with the final release.
    See above..
    Oh i do, use a local account, I just wonder how long it will be before you get little choice
    See above and above....
    Yes..
    .I know there are a few good things about Windows 10, it is slightly faster on boot up and shutting down than windows 8 and it does run a bit smoother. But the whole App thing and integrating them more into Windows ten is pretty off putting
    You'll be off to your cave and the Linux thread then...:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just hassle.

I know it does, that is what I said, but for how long? If MS wants it all intergrated then it is easy enough to put a bit of code in either Skype or Windows 10 to stop Skype desktop working on 10.
    They done that with the One drive app to stop it working on Windows 8, so if you want to use the one drive on Windows 8, you have to link the whole computer up to a MS account.
    Thank goodness for dropbox.

I know there are a few good things about Windows 10, it is slightly faster on boot up and shutting down than windows 8 and it does run a bit smoother. But the whole App thing and integrating them more into Windows ten is pretty off putting.

PARANOIA = ABSOLUTE AWARENESS :D:D

Something odd about you at times, well, most of the time :D
    Forum Member
    :D:D Guessing it'll be alone in his case...:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No more than it is at present.

It is to be honest, at least with the older versions of Windows, you had very few built in software, so as soon as you install something, it would become the default. the other problem is a lot of these apps can not be installed, you can get rid of them from the front of the start up menu, but they are still there in the list.
    Paranoia......Go live in a cave.
    Really, so the NSW and GCHQ do not and you do not believe that there is a back door for them in windows and no doubt in other products.

See above..
    This is Microsoft we are talking about, the company with their OS on more machines than any other company, they can do what they want and you would not know about it.
    See above and above....

They more or less try to force people now, have you done a clean install of 10 and 8 for that mater with a lan connected? It is only after clicking on make a new account that you get the option not to make one and go for a local account,
    Took me ages to find that as for a lot of people they would not think that making a new account would have that option.
    It should be put on the front, use your own account, make a new one or use a local account.

I wonder how many people are link to MS servers, and not use any of the services.

i do have a have a Hotmail address, which I access via my email client, not that I use it for much these days.
    Yes..

No wonder people in this country just accepts what is going on and just go, like bloody robots. That will be proved with the election that they are like robots.
    You'll be off to your cave and the Linux thread then...:D

As I said I would love to go for Linux only, but I can't as the software I use is not on Linux. Saying that there is a couple of new video editing software that I am going to try out, But there is nothing like Adobe after effect sadly.

I can tell you now that I have out Linux on a fair few machines for a few people and they prefer it to windows. I also prefer them having it as well, they can not download viruses and other crap that mucks up the system, so it means I am not called out to sort their computers out every month or so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    PARANOIA = ABSOLUTE AWARENESS :D:D

Something odd about you at times, well, most of the time :D

Wake up and smell the coffee and stop buying your head in the sand
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really, so the NSW and GCHQ do not and you do not believe that there is a back door for them in windows and no doubt in other products.

They'll probably have the best hackers in the country working for them. I'm sure they'd be able to enter any operating system if they wanted to, even without help from Microsoft.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure I could get into many Home Computers.

Just do it like the Israelis did Stuxnet to the Iranian Nuclear program.

USB stick left lying around. Someone picks it up and plugs it in.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is to be honest, at least with the older versions of Windows, you had very few built in software, so as soon as you install something, it would become the default.

Many used to moan that Windows did not have enough bundled in!
    the other problem is a lot of these apps can not be installed, you can get rid of them from the front of the start up menu, but they are still there in the list.

I don't understand why people are bothered by this. If you don't use them yourself why does it matter that they are there? I almost never use Notepad but it's been there from day one. Doesn't stop me form using Notepad++ or whatever. There's also Wordpad that I've used maybe once or twice in the past 10 years.
    This is Microsoft we are talking about, the company with their OS on more machines than any other company, they can do what they want and you would not know about it.

They more or less try to force people now, have you done a clean install of 10 and 8 for that mater with a lan connected? It is only after clicking on make a new account that you get the option not to make one and go for a local account,
    Took me ages to find that as for a lot of people they would not think that making a new account would have that option.
    It should be put on the front, use your own account, make a new one or use a local account.

I would prefer they made it clearer too, but it's their operating system. If you don't like it don't use it. And if you're worried about NSA, GCHQ etc., I would advise not using the web at all or in fact any electronic communication.

You should also remember that no matter how companies such as Microsoft and Google behave, ultimately governments can do what they want. So if they really want MS (or any company) to hand over all its info they can. Of coures, it might take them a while, as they're subject to laws but (in the West) those are just temporary impediments given political will.

I'm less bothered by private companies holding data on me per se on the grounds that, legally, they can sell me ads or whatever but they can't legally kill me. The state can.

No wonder people in this country just accepts what is going on and just go, like bloody robots. That will be proved with the election that they are like robots.

What would they have to do to persuade you that they are not robots? Follow Russell Brand perhaps?
    Forum Member
    The local council in Hereford must have hacked his combine at some time or another and made him wary...
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I'm going to wait until I'm sure most of the bugs have been ironed out.

I'll probably wait the first hour or so. :D Come on people, it's the most widely and extensively tested OS in the history of computing and you've still got the jitters?

Plus what's all this whinging about classic shell and the start menu? Some people are so terrified of change it's beyond ridiculous. :o

Now if you want buggy you should have installed Yosemite and IOS 8. :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wake up and smell the coffee and stop buying your head in the sand

You said in the past you believe in
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemtrail_conspiracy_theory
    are you a 'prepper/survivalist' lol How many cans of your favorite Branston beans are in your bunker:D

Your open hatred of the Masons, is this to do with your belief in the Illuminati ?

This whole 'they are spying on me' is a nonsense, 'they' are welcome to any data on my machines they having access with.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Plus what's all this whinging about classic shell and the start menu? Some people are so terrified of change it's beyond ridiculous. :o

I did not install Classic Shell for 6 weeks. I wanted to use W10 'as the designers intended'.

Sadly, Start Menu and Search have been horribly, unusably buggy.

Start Menu often didn't work at all and could only be temporarily revived by an In-place Upgrade or new Build coming along.
    (all sorts of tips and tricks and Registry hacks and Updates suggested on the Insider site did not work for many)

It's still often very slow to appear (20 secs) and Search is just pathetic.
    Classic Shell makes it all 'just work' as it should do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    They'll probably have the best hackers in the country working for them. I'm sure they'd be able to enter any operating system if they wanted to, even without help from Microsoft.

No doubt, but why make it easier?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many used to moan that Windows did not have enough bundled in!

My idea of Os is that it should just be the basic Os. enough to get software to work, if they do have other features then there should be a way to choose what you want. i know there needs to be a basic browser, so it is possible to download another browser unless they do what they did on Xp and give you the choice of browsers.

This is the one thing that annoys me with Mint, they seem to add on a load of software I will never use.
    I don't understand why people are bothered by this. If you don't use them yourself why does it matter that they are there? I almost never use Notepad but it's been there from day one. Doesn't stop me form using Notepad++ or whatever. There's also Wordpad that I've used maybe once or twice in the past 10 years.

Maybe because it takes space up on the drive. Notepad is useful and small, but I still think it should on a list of software you can install.
    TBH, I would not install most of the software that comes with windows, IE for instance would never be installed, you can disable it in Windows or you could, but you can not get rid of it. All these apps, like mail, photos, music that I would never us and yet they are taking up space on my hard drive.
    I would prefer they made it clearer too, but it's their operating system.

But we are their customers,
    If you don't like it don't use it. And if you're worried about NSA, GCHQ etc., I would advise not using the web at all or in fact any electronic communication.

May people do not have much choice or will not have much choice but to use it.Once 10 is launched it will be on every computer, just like Windows 8 was.
    sometimes I wish I never got started in computers and I just kept a basic mobile phone.

You should also remember that no matter how companies such as Microsoft and Google behave, ultimately governments can do what they want. So if they really want MS (or any company) to hand over all its info they can. Of coures, it might take them a while, as they're subject to laws but (in the West) those are just temporary impediments given political will.

MS and other companies would just hand the info over, it would not take a while at all.
    I'm less bothered by private companies holding data on me per se on the grounds that, legally, they can sell me ads or whatever but they can't legally kill me. The state can.

The state can kill you? Not legally.
    What would they have to do to persuade you that they are not robots? Follow Russell Brand perhaps?

Maybe stop following each other like lemmings and think with their own minds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    You said in the past you believe in
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemtrail_conspiracy_theory
    are you a 'prepper/survivalist' lol How many cans of your favorite Branston beans are in your bunker:D

I never did say I believed in chem trails.
    What I said is a mate of mine believe in them and that maybe there may be some truth in it. But some of the so called evidence they bring up do not make sense and as I said to my mate, if they are poisoning us with chem trails, then surly they are doing to to themselves as well?
    Your open hatred of the Masons, is this to do with your belief in the Illuminati ?

I do not believe in the Illuminarti, but I do think the Masons are too secret and too many funny hand shakes, with you scratch my back, I will scratch yours.
    This whole 'they are spying on me' is a nonsense, 'they' are welcome to any data on my machines they having access with.

Good for you, myself I prefer to keep some things away from some people.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On thing for certain.
    With it being free the biggest things that bug will be 'features'.

For Windows 7 it is going to be one heck of a tough decision whether or not to 'upgrade'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    I'll probably wait the first hour or so. :D Come on people, it's the most widely and extensively tested OS in the history of computing and you've still got the jitters?

Some people just like things that are familiar. The start menu in ten is not that great, do they really need the tiles, Why not give people the choice?

This is we are going to do it so that is it. I doubt they take notice of any of the feedback. It just make people all warm inside in that they think MS is taking notice.

Now if you want buggy you should have installed Yosemite and IOS 8. :blush:

Not sure about IOS8 as I have not heard anyone I know complaiing about it, apart from maybe it makes some Iphones a little slower. But Yosemite is a different thing, I know a couple of people who have put it on their Macs and taken it off again.
    A friend now got it on two of her 5 Macs and that is the one she do not use that often Mac book pro, he new Mac pro had it installed already, but she hates it.

The Mac pro machine is a powerful computer, but Yosemite seems to slow it down, with it just hanging there as if it is waiting for something. While using Photoshop it will just crash for no reason at all. she is looking at getting the last version of MAC os and installing it on the pro.

I have once again and I have no idea why installed the latest version of windows ten on my computer. While i can not moan about it if I do nto use it I suppose, so I took a up to date image of my windows 8.1 system and updated the whole machine to windows 10.

Lets see if it is better than the last version I tried.
    At least now the start menu can be resized.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Bloatware isn't really an issue these days. Memory is as cheap as chips with storage even cheaper. If programmes I don't use annoy me then I simply get rid of them. I don't cut my nose of to spite my face and say I'm not getting a very good OS simply because the UI might need some tweaking to get it the way I like it.