Birdsong

muppeteermuppeteer Posts: 3,350
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Oh my god. Just finished it and it's unbelievable.

It's so, so sad and moved me so much. I actually felt that the characters were real and got really absorbed in the book.

I was in tears at the end, so emotional and I never ever cry at books or films. The love that Stephen had for Isabelle was just incredible.

Best book I've read.

Any thought on it? Did Isabelle really love Stephen?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I got halfway through book and lost it that was a few years ago. My husband loved it though. Maybe I should try it again now. Everybody else I know who has read it have said the same as you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Birdsong, its in my top 10 books of all time. It inspired a real interest that I now have in WW1: the history, literature and poetry. I also researched the service and death of my great-grandfather in WW1 because of Birdsong.

I wrote to Sebastian Faulks to tell him how much I enjoyed his book and I got a very nice reply from him. I've never written to any other author and I don't make a habit of it.

Yes, a wonderful book.:)
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    I read it years ago and loved it. It did lead to me wanting to read as much as i could about WW1. I'd also recommend 'All quiet on the Western Front'.
  • muppeteermuppeteer Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Birdsong, its in my top 10 books of all time. It inspired a real interest that I now have in WW1: the history, literature and poetry. I also researched the service and death of my great-grandfather in WW1 because of Birdsong.

I wrote to Sebastian Faulks to tell him how much I enjoyed his book and I got a very nice reply from him. I've never written to any other author and I don't make a habit of it.

Yes, a wonderful book.:)

Really, that's nice of him to do that. I was thinking of looking on his website to send something myself because I think he has an exceptional talent if he was able to write a book like that.

Do you have any thoughts on whether Stephen was in love with Jeanne? Or was Isabelle in love with Stephen or did she just use him for passion?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muppeteer wrote: »
    Really, that's nice of him to do that. I was thinking of looking on his website to send something myself because I think he has an exceptional talent if he was able to write a book like that.

Do you have any thoughts on whether Stephen was in love with Jeanne? Or was Isabelle in love with Stephen or did she just use him for passion?

Its a while since I read it... I am going to re-read it. But, yes I thought Isabelle loved Stephen and vice-versa.

One of the best parts for me was the sub-plot about Jack Firebrace, I really found his story moving, about his son, John... so sad.

I also loved the passages about the Battle of the Somme, they were so poignant. In fact, for me the love affair and the 1970s chapters were secondary to the great tragedy of the war itself and how that affected the characters and the society they lived in, then and later.
  • muppeteermuppeteer Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a while since I read it... I am going to re-read it. But, yes I thought Isabelle loved Stephen and vice-versa.

One of the best parts for me was the sub-plot about Jack Firebrace, I really found his story moving, about his son, John... so sad.

I also loved the passages about the Battle of the Somme, they were so poignant. In fact, for me the love affair and the 1970s chapters were secondary to the great tragedy of the war itself and how that affected the characters and the society they lived in, then and later.

I thought the Somme chapters were very harrowing, as was
    the bit in the tunnel at the end.
    I think maybe Stephen did love Jeanne but grew to love her gradually rather than with Isabelle.

It's definitely made me think a lot more about WWI and how it affected people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    I think I might be a slightly bigger fan of 'The Fateful Englishman'.

I've just found an unread copy of 'Human Traces' - Result.
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a wonderful book, really bringing home the reality of war

I've not enjoyed his other books anywhere near as much
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found it rather disappointing.

Not bad, but not exceptional.

As a WWI book "All Quiet On the Western Front" leads the way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is one of my favourite books of all time. Also read 'Human Traces'.....quite good but long and sometimes overly 'medical'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    picked this up from the Charity Shop yesterday in excellent condition, for £1..... will start reading it sometime next week, its been on my 'to do' list for a while
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just finished Birdsong tonight. I thought it was a really good book.

I felt more for Jack Firebrace than Stephen, and found the story about his tragic son and Jacks outburst of grief when faced with his own death very moving.
    I also felt that Stephen was a mixed up individual and didn't do enough to pursue Isabelle considering the passion they felt early on in their relationship.
    The trench story was very powerful and the descriptions of the men waiting to climb the ladder knowing they were walking into death as they went over-the-top was very well written. I can't begin to understand the emotions they must have felt.

I feel like reading it again now I think about it. Must be the sign of a good book.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised it's never been made into a film, would be perfect for 2014 and the hundredth anniversary.
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I'm surprised it's never been made into a film, would be perfect for 2014 and the hundredth anniversary.

It has been adapted for TV and is on BBC1 next Sunday night.
    Early reviews say it is very good.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »
    It has been adapted for TV and is on BBC1 next Sunday night.
    Early reviews say it is very good.

Thanks Nailz, seen that and my PVR is already set.It certainly looks good from the promos, apparently it's been in development for years and they dropped the idea of a feature film to adapt it for TV.