Options

40 Years of Microsoft

In case anyone didn't know, today is the 40th anniversary of Microsoft. They were founded on April 4th 1975. Has it really been that long?! :D

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/40-years-of-microsoft-40-milestones-in-microsofts-history/537841-11.html

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bill Gates has done very well for himself with Microsoft. He's worth close-ish to $100bn.
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lasted a lot longer than Digital Research! :D
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Bill Gates has done very well for himself with Microsoft. He's worth close-ish to $100bn.

He's down to $80bn'ish. Plans to only leave around $100m to each of his kids.

As for MS they miss-fired a couple times like under estimating the effect of the Internet and mobile devices but generally down ok for themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    He's down to $80bn'ish. Plans to only leave around $100m to each of his kids.

As for MS they miss-fired a couple times like under estimating the effect of the Internet and mobile devices but generally down ok for themselves.

Well, yeah....close-ish. I think even a billion dollars each would easily, easily provide a fantastic life. Considering what he's worth, I think $3bn left to his kids is still a tiny amount compared to almost $80bn. $100m is, in my opinion, too small an amount to leave them.

Edit: Yeah, the internet was destined to just grow and grow in usage as the years went by. I'd say in about ten years, maybe less, only a tiny percentage of the worldwide population won't have internet access. There's so many things to do online, no wonder internet usage is increasing more and more. Thank you Tim Berners-Lee for inventing the World Wide Web.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MS was just lucky that CBM went belly up, I think if CBM had carried on with the Amiga, MS would have had competition.
    The Amiga and OS was far ahead in technology wise than any PC running windows at that time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    MS was just lucky that CBM went belly up, I think if CBM had carried on with the Amiga, MS would have had competition.
    The Amiga and OS was far ahead in technology wise than any PC running windows at that time.

Maybe it's a good thing that CBM lost the battle because Commodore might have been like Apple, in the sense that we wouldn't have been able to build our own computers 15+ years later. Commodore could have stuck to making the computers themselves, as well as the operating system, and then selling them like that, as Apple do. It's good that we have the choice of building our own computers, for the people that can, or buying pre-built ones with operating systems already on them.

Edit: Windows 3.0 did look a bit lifeless compared to the Amiga operating system.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PC games and the expense that went with them looked quite sad compared to the Amiga until maybe 1993 or so. Not bad for a computer designed in 1985. The later cheap ones with integrated HD were like a laptop in size compared to PC boxes
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Edit: Windows 3.0 did look a bit lifeless compared to the Amiga operating system.

As far as I know Windows 3.0 wasn't that popular but Windows 3.1, the updated version, was probably the first Windows OS that was of interest to home users. I always consider Windows 95/98 the first 'true' home Windows OSes. Computers back then were very expensive too and not everyone could afford to have one in their homes. I've never used Amiga OS, only seen pics of it.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

didn't matter who had better technology. Microsoft had the better business knowledge. Look how many times better technology has lost due to business environment.
  • Options
    archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the fact that the Amiga and other similar computers were limited to using RF modulators (and pretty awful TVs) was partly responsible for PCs winning the day. Using a small monitor on a (286 iirc) PC was an eye opener for me.

I doubt if early professional users could have worked 9 to 5, 5 days a week on TV screens as comfortably.
  • Options
    rubikwizardrubikwizard Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    archiver wrote: »
    I think the fact that the Amiga and other similar computers were limited to using RF modulators (and pretty awful TVs)

Actually the Amiga used a proper monitor (I had the Commodore 1084s monitor). If you wanted to use a TV (RF) you had to use a special interface. I have an original Amiga in front of me right now, and use it often.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's a good thing that CBM lost the battle because Commodore might have been like Apple, in the sense that we wouldn't have been able to build our own computers 15+ years later. Commodore could have stuck to making the computers themselves, as well as the operating system, and then selling them like that, as Apple do. It's good that we have the choice of building our own computers, for the people that can, or buying pre-built ones with operating systems already on them.

Never a good thing, If CBM or at least someone else was producing the Amiga or a large scale, MS may make sure their OS are a bit smaller and you do not need tons of ram and storage space to run the flipping thing. Also, maybe software would not be so buggy.
    The Amiga did not like buggy software, if Firefox was on the Amiga with all it memory leaks, the Amiga would have crashed.

I think the Amiga would be more like a PC type of machine now, CBM was working on a new machine when they went belly up and even now you can buy the Amiga Os and run it on a old power pc based machine like a old Mac mini.

The Amiga Os was small and fast, sadly the Amiga 4000/040 had a slower CPU than the machine I replaced it with, which was a 166 PC.
    Put a new version on today CPU and it would fly.

I would certainly drop Windows in a heartbeat if someone came out with a decent Os and the software I require.
    If say Sony decided to produce Vegas for Linux, that would be it, Windows be gone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PC games and the expense that went with them looked quite sad compared to the Amiga until maybe 1993 or so. Not bad for a computer designed in 1985. The later cheap ones with integrated HD were like a laptop in size compared to PC boxes

It was a amazing machine in it's day. Separate chips for it main functions. While the Atari ST was to be more for audio due to its built in midi, my mate used a amiga with Dr dos and also used samples on the Amiga as the sound chip was that good. A lot of the sound samples he used was under the synth or Guitar, but they could still be heard. Those days everything was mixed onto multitrack reel to reel.

These days the Amiga as it stood then would not be any good for audio and even I can tell the difference of the quality between my mates old stuff and whaty he does now with Cakewalk, his Yamaha Daughter board and Cool Edit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    didn't matter who had better technology. Microsoft had the better business knowledge. Look how many times better technology has lost due to business environment.

That is the problem
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    archiver wrote: »
    I think the fact that the Amiga and other similar computers were limited to using RF modulators (and pretty awful TVs) was partly responsible for PCs winning the day. Using a small monitor on a (286 iirc) PC was an eye opener for me.

I doubt if early professional users could have worked 9 to 5, 5 days a week on TV screens as comfortably.

I had and still have a Philips monitor that I used on my Amiga 500A and my 4000

My mate used to use a TV in his studio and the picture was pretty good as far as I remember.
    You can still get adaptors to connect the Amiga to a VGA monitor.

I agree when CBM went belly up, the PC was getting better, my first PC, had a decent sound card and graphics for it's time and a 166 chip meant it was pretty speedy. Sadly windows 95 was naff and so often I felt like chucking the machine through the window.
    i know some of it was a new learning curve, I was use to Amiag Dos and doing most things through the command line.
    I would still go back to the Amiga Os if the software was available.
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coincidentally, today's XKCD subject is operating systems. Checkout the 'DOS, but ironically'

http://www.xkcd.com/1508/

One of my fav time wasters is clicking random on the XKCD comic page. Any joke you don't get is explained here

http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I learn a lot of science/computing stuff that way.

One for the Linux dudes -
    http://xkcd.com/149/
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main reason MS won was that it was flogging its product via IBM who in those days had a massive amount of the market in the business sector so you needed to use IBM's pc-dos to access the companies network and pull down files from the mainframe etc and then people would develop for that market which made it even more a part of the corporate landscape as networks grew and more access to information was required on tap not waiting for the IT dept to produce a report overnight its growth was assured as other competing systems didn't have the out of the box support that you would have with the IBM pc-dos systems so by the end of the 1980's the pc is well established in the business community so people are starting to buy them for home use which with the release of VGA by default on most of the ps/2 line allowed the corporate person to have nice graphs and the home person to start to play decent looking games
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    The main reason MS won was that it was flogging its product via IBM who in those days had a massive amount of the market in the business sector so you needed to use IBM's pc-dos to access the companies network and pull down files from the mainframe etc and then people would develop for that market which made it even more a part of the corporate landscape as networks grew and more access to information was required on tap not waiting for the IT dept to produce a report overnight its growth was assured as other competing systems didn't have the out of the box support that you would have with the IBM pc-dos systems so by the end of the 1980's the pc is well established in the business community so people are starting to buy them for home use which with the release of VGA by default on most of the ps/2 line allowed the corporate person to have nice graphs and the home person to start to play decent looking games

wow - that is some sentence! Taken me a while to follow what you are saying:-)
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    wow - that is some sentence! Taken me a while to follow what you are saying:-)

Sorry, was trying to type it while the mrs was on a rant so wasn't paying attention to the smaller details. :)
  • Options
    rubikwizardrubikwizard Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I would still go back to the Amiga Os if the software was available.

It is: Amiga OS 4.1
    Put a new version on today CPU and it would fly.

You can: AmigaOne X1000.

And coming soon is the AmigaOne X5000.
    The Amiga did not like buggy software, if Firefox was on the Amiga with all it memory leaks, the Amiga would have crashed.

A version of Firefox has been ported to the Amiga: Timberwolf.
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Paragraphs would be nice. :)

Digital Research CP/M was the market leader OS back then when it was mainly Zilog Z80 based minis and micros. The rumour was that IBM approached DR to write a version compatible with Intel 8088 /86 instruction sets, but DR (Gary Kildall) turned them down for reasons that have now been debunked.

The rest as they say, is history. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/30/msdos_paternity_suit_resolved/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is: Amiga OS 4.1

You can: AmigaOne X1000.

And coming soon is the AmigaOne X5000.

I know those are available, but the software for my use is not available.
    A version of Firefox has been ported to the Amiga: Timberwolf.

Hardware is different now and maybe the updated the OS to stop memory leaks crashing the machine.,
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a sign of a poor OS if a programme behaving badly takes an OS with it and crashes the whole machine. OS should be robust enough and prevent that.
  • Options
    kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main reason MS won was that it was flogging its product via IBM who in those days had a massive amount of the market in the business sector so you needed to use IBM's pc-dos to access the companies network and pull down files from the mainframe

Actually in the early days of the IBM PC there was hardly any networking with mainframes.
    You could run a 3270 terminal emulator (using non-IBM hardware like the "IRMA" card) and hotkey to it from DOS. But there was no way to get mainframe data into your Multiplan spreadsheet.

Indeed most IBM S/370 sales people saw the PC as a threat to their profitable dumb terminal business and actively discouraged the big "blue" corps from buying them.

Microsoft "won" because IBM forgot to negotiate an exclusive deal for DOS so MS were able to sell it to the clone PC market once that emerged.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Sorry, was trying to type it while the mrs was on a rant so wasn't paying attention to the smaller details. :)

I was likewise cursing you for complete lack of punctuation, but in the circumstances I congratulate you :)