Options

Is Men Behaving Badly the best comedy of all time?

goodol lsgoodol ls Posts: 1,948
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This thread is designed to recount your memories and quotes of the greatest comedy of all time. It made Friends look like the weakling that it was.

Tony-"You Mazda" Literally lol

Comments

• Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's one of my favourites. I remember sticking the tv on really quiet and watching it in my room

When they have the bbq with the girls next door is my favourite episode and when gary goes to a rave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite episode is when we first see Tony. He has a pig's head. I also like the episode where Gary thinks Tony is a homosexual. I don't think there was a bad episode made.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    No! (In my opinion :p) I was a big fan of it as a kid (yes, I was allowed to watch it :D) so I recently downloaded it, for the nostalgia. It's still amusing, even funny in parts, but I don't think it's aged very well. Still, it's sad in a way to see how much the word has changed just since the 90's, it all seemed a bit more laid back back then.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er No "Fawlty Towers" wins hands down.:)
  • Options
    ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Men behaving not very badly at all was crap in its day, never mind now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good comedy but it has nothing on MBB. Why cant they bring it back?
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly best comedy of all time, but very good, and arguably managed to sustain the same level of humour and quality (for good or bad) right up to the end, considering how many episodes there were, which very few sitcoms seem able to do. Many people seem to forget - if they ever knew about - series one with Harry Enfield, which I still have a lot of affection for.

OT slightly, but have there been many other sitcoms that were resurrected on a different channel and went on to be successful?
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    What better than "Mad about Alice"?
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was good, but I don't think it was in the top ten. What spoiled it for me was the final episodes (was it a set of three 'specials'?) in which they treated the morrisey character as though he were a spoiled child, and constantly humoured him.
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure that I ever made it through a whole episode...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlucky Irma. You missed a gem
  • Options
    jamiesdjamiesd Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Classic Tv

One of the best ones was when Tony returned from travelling with the beard.
  • Options
    cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Not even in the top 1000.
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er No "Fawlty Towers" wins hands down.:)

Agree.Although I did find several episodes of MBB funny.
    The sticky tissues episode especially.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    For a series or two, in the middle of it's run, it was fantastic. It was very good when it based it's comedy on character. Sadly, the writer didn't trust, or wasn't able to sustain this for long, so you got nonsense like Tony wearing contact lenses and being unable to blink without being in agony.

One of my favourite things ever was Gary sleeping with the neighbour and shaking her hand as a thank you the next morning.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No it was rubbish. Schoolboy humour acted by men in their late 30s.
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    goodol ls wrote: »
    Unlucky Irma. You missed a gem

If Irna barely made it through an episode, then he/she hardly missed a gem (in their opinion).
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member

No it was rubbish. Schoolboy humour acted by men in their late 30s.

Like Bottom without the violence?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No

Many of us regard Dad's Army as the best (British) comedy of all time and Bilko as the best of all.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    OT slightly, but have there been many other sitcoms that were resurrected on a different channel and went on to be successful?
    If you can get the search to work then you'll find a couple of thread about shows which have switched channels.
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly not the best but defiantly in the top 15 or so for me.
    They could sit on a sofa and talk crap for 30 minutes and it would be funny. Like the episode when they are waiting for a pizza is always a favourite. The star trek doors sketch always makes me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQJGYXLdtu8

I might even watch them through again.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    The OP seems to want a celebration of the programme but the thread title is phrased in such a way as to encourage any opinion, positive or negative. It can only end badly!

I wasn't a fan for a few reasons but I'm not sure that's the kind of thread you are hoping for so I'll leave it at that. I once declared my dislike for a programme on a neutral discussion about the programme and incurred the wrath of the fans so once bitten, twice shy.

It was very popular though, as I remember.
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Why set a thread with a question, and then just assume the answer is 'yes' in the OP?
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    jamiesd wrote: »
    Classic Tv

One of the best ones was when Tony returned from travelling with the beard.

He travelled with a beard? What was the beard's name?
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .............. I once declared my dislike for a programme on a neutral discussion about the programme and incurred the wrath of the fans so once bitten, twice shy.

It was very popular though, as I remember.

I assumed you meant the arrogant, egotistical, tubby bloke whose name escapes me. His fans are very protective, and anyone who isn't ecstatic about him is clearly deranged or moronic.

However, the last paragraph suggests you meant someone else.