Options

Minder - The 2009 Remake Thread

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    True anything that has Shane Ritchie in must come with a Government Cack Warning:D:D

He was in the very excellent 'Night & Day', though.:cool:
  • Options
    jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    Arthur Daley's stil exist all over England to this day.

There is still a multitude of small time business men/small time conmen around,they just do business in a different,more contemporary way (Think - internet tricksters,cowboy tradesmen etc).
    Arthur was by day a used car salesman of often dodgy vehicles,and trust me there are still quite a few of those about in 2008.

From what I've read,Shane Richie's 'Archie Daley' deals in stolen mobile phones.
  • Options
    nostalgic62nostalgic62 Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    I am dreading this without even watching it. I wish it had never been re-made. The old minder with Cole and Waterman was a classic and Ritchie is not fit to lick George Coles Boots.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive just watched a clip of this new Shane Ritchie version, including the "revamped" theme tune. Jesus Christ, what a crock of ****.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not looking too good is it?

Whereas the original theme was good (if very cheesey),this is just well - bad.

Shane is playing the London wideboy all wrong in my opinion.Whereas George Cole (the great actor that he is) played a rogue character very subtly,Shane is doing it way too forced and comes across like irritating parody of both Del Boy and Arthur Daley.

Shane isn't untalented,but they needed a MUCH finer actor to even attempt to follow in Cole and Waterman's shoes,Lex appears to do a fine job though.

Personally,I'd have cast Timothy Spall to play Archie Daley.
  • Options
    Imogen MImogen M Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shane just plays the same character (himself) in everything he's ever done. I've lost all interest in this remake though I suspect I'll still end up watching at least the first episode out of morbid curiosity. I remember Lex Shrapnel from the 2004 Thunderbirds film and he was one of the few better aspects of that God-awful movie so I'd like to see what he's like in Minder.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive just watched a clip of this new Shane Ritchie version, including the "revamped" theme tune. Jesus Christ, what a crock of ****.

While this looks nowhere near as good as the original, I will give it a watch.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1114713/Minders-EastEnder-Shane-Richie-promising-geezer-chic-Arfurs-nephew-Archie.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Looks ok to me, I just hope the new actor playing the minder is ok. I loved the old minder
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I speak as a fan of the original series...for me one of the best shows ITV have ever made ! Loved George Cole !! A superb actor who made it his show....despite the show being a vehicle for Dennis Waterman.

I'll watch this new version...first show 4 Feb, I think....but sadly I fear the worst ! :(
  • Options
    Simon-SmithSimon-Smith Posts: 2,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so far so good. I may watch it.
  • Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks ok to me, I just hope the new actor playing the minder is ok. I loved the old minder

Slightly off topic I always have severe reservations when they decide to remake programmes, for example Steve Coogan was going to star in a movie version of the Persuaders,now its not going to happen till 2011
  • Options
    BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I remember rightly they tried doing this with The Professionals................bad mistake:(

Things like Minder, The Sweeney and The Professionals were excellent.............but they were of their time.
    We just do not have the calibre of actors anymore.

Completely agree. The creators of these so called re-makes just play on people's nostalgia and if they tried making the series without using the words Daley or Minder then I'd seriously doubt the programme would stand on it's own merit. Re-makes and Reality shows are basically just lazy television productions.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamespondo wrote: »
    Personally,I'd have cast Timothy Spall to play Archie Daley.

He came close to Daley in the rather excellent "Frank Stubbs Promotes".

I feel homicidal urges whenever I’m unfortunate enough to catch sight of that abysmal trailer for Richie’s travesty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    He came close to Daley in the rather excellent "Frank Stubbs Promotes".

I feel homicidal urges whenever I’m unfortunate enough to catch sight of that abysmal trailer for Richie’s travesty.

He did indeed.
    Tim can play that kind of character as good as anybody can.

I see George is pissed off at the remake/reboot/11th series (whatever the hell it is).He's probably the only one that could save this from bombing,so why Talkback Thames/Five didn't want him involved as a consultant is beyond me.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I see George is pissed off at the remake/reboot/11th series (whatever the hell it is).He's probably the only one that could save this from bombing,so why Talkback Thames/Five didn't want him involved as a consultant is beyond me.

Probably worried he'd say 'Who's that pillock playing Daley?' and upset their 'star'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    They've got an advert for this travesty of a programme on the side of a phone box near where i work. Surely this will give idiots an even better reason to smash it up.

Minder is an eighties classic and should have been left well alone. The lack of creativity and ideas from TV execs and writers these days is only beaten by the movie producers who are constantly attempting to remake classic and in most cases not so classic films.

I still have not got over the fact they're re-making the Sweeney with Ray Winstone as Jack Regan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wouldnt it have been nice if rather than a remake they done a one of special with the original actors, Would have been good to see where Terry and Arther ended up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How did they end minder ?
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    portowolf wrote: »
    They've got an advert for this travesty of a programme on the side of a phone box near where i work. Surely this will give idiots an even better reason to smash it up.

Minder is an eighties classic and should have been left well alone. The lack of creativity and ideas from TV execs and writers these days is only beaten by the movie producers who are constantly attempting to remake classic and in most cases not so classic films.

I still have not got over the fact they're re-making the Sweeney with Ray Winstone as Jack Regan.

Totally agree with your post. Makes me angry, the lack of creativity these high paid tossers are ridden with.
    On a side note, the Sweeney movie has been shelved, thank the Lord.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another example of today's laziness and total lack of originality. Minder doesn't need to be remade because they found a perfect formula in the original series.

We don't need to see Shane Richie doing a poor impersonation of Arfur Daley. The bloke acts the same in everything he has ever done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wouldnt it have been nice if rather than a remake they done a one of special with the original actors, Would have been good to see where Terry and Arther ended up

How old are they both now ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How did they end minder ?

It actually ended about 3 times.
    Waterman didn't want to make anymore after the 1985 movie version 'Minder on The Orient Express'.He felt the show had run it's course by that point - he was right in retrospect

He was pursuaded to return in 1989 and the final episode 'The Wrong Goodbye' was about Arthur selling his car-lot to some property developers after suffering financial problems.The deal fell through by the end of the episode and it just ended with Arthur & Terry taunting a tax man (if I remember correctly).

In 1991 ITV decided to again revive it,without Waterman who this time refused to comeback.

In the first episode of the new Minder,it was revealed Terry had got married and moved to Australia,to get away from Arthur's influence.

The very last episode broadcast in 1994 ended with Arthur,Ray,Dave and a few more guest characters driven away from the winchester in a police van,after some chaos involving an escaped prisoner,his wife,and her lover.
    Arthur does a speech about how Britain treats the 'honest,entrepreneur' while we get a good overhead night view of London.
  • Options
    djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Minder kicks off 9pm, Wed 04 Feb on Five :)
  • Options
    GonzoTheGreatGonzoTheGreat Posts: 4,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at the location filming of one of the eps - it is truly dire! Even Richie didn't look into the part at all. They put quite a bit of a budget into it tho, it doesn't look cheap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It actually ended about 3 times.
    Waterman didn't want to make anymore after the 1985 movie version 'Minder on The Orient Express'.He felt the show had run it's course by that point - he was right in retrospect

He was pursuaded to return in 1989 and the final episode 'The Wrong Goodbye' was about Arthur selling his car-lot to some property developers after suffering financial problems.The deal fell through by the end of the episode and it just ended with Arthur & Terry taunting a tax man (if I remember correctly).

In 1991 ITV decided to again revive it,without Waterman who this time refused to comeback.

In the first episode of the new Minder,it was revealed Terry had got married and moved to Australia,to get away from Arthur's influence.

The very last episode broadcast in 1994 ended with Arthur,Ray,Dave and a few more guest characters driven away from the winchester in a police van,after some chaos involving an escaped prisoner,his wife,and her lover.
    Arthur does a speech about how Britain treats the 'honest,entrepreneur' while we get a good overhead night view of London.

Thanks for that, Would have much rather seen a one off special with Terry and Arthur than this new show