Options

Judy Finnigan in "Non-Violent" Rape Furore - over Ched Evans Case

Comments

• Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    I agree with this. I was deeply disappointed when she effectively held the victim responsible for what happened.

I don't understand how people can't see that a drunk person's consent carries no weight. If no one trusts a drunk person to drive them home, how could anyone expect a drunk person capable of giving informed consent?

I also can't see how could one enjoy having intercourse with a person who's so drunk that they won't remember next day. Where's self-respect?
    Wasn't there a similar outburst from Ceelo Green a couple of weeks back? where he said some thing along the lines of' it's not rape if they are unconscious'? .
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get her overall point, I think she could have articulated some of it a bit better though. The fact she felt forced in to an apology is sad.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a similar outburst from Ceelo Green a couple of weeks back? where he said some thing along the lines of' it's not rape if they are unconscious'? .

Yes, he did. From a Hollywood Reporter article:
    TBS' decision to cancel The Good Life comes as the former The Voice coach is mired in controversy following tweets over the weekend about the nature of rape.

The musician/TV personality has since deleted the tweets in which he implied that women can only be raped if they are conscious. He also compared rape to a home invasion. "If someone is passed out they're not even WITH you consciously! So WITH implies consent," Green wrote. "People who have really been raped REMEMBER!!!" he added.

Green pleaded no contest in August to a felony count of furnishing ecstasy to a woman. He faced sexual assault charges in 2012.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tbs-cancels-cee-lo-greens-729557

Well done for remembering his name, though. I couldn't remember the idiot's name when I read another poster's response earlier.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't it funny how the same people calling for the club not to take him back are a lot of the same people who extol the virtues of a justice system built upon rehabilitation and allowing a person to get on with their lives after they have served their time.

I guess that is only acceptable for some crimes.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    I think she worded what can be a valid point badly.

All rape is bad, and rapists should clearly be punished via jail time. Some rapes are more serious/violent/definition of your choice and therefore deserve higher sentences. This is not one of those cases.

Once released, people who have served their time must be able to make a living, otherwise the whole system has failed. There may be restrictions on what jobs they can do, based on the nature of the crime, such as a convicted fraudster not being an accountant, for example.

I fail to see how this crime would prevent Evans from being employed as a professional footballer - that is down to the individual clubs involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Isn't it funny how the same people calling for the club not to take him back are a lot of the same people who extol the virtues of a justice system built upon rehabilitation and allowing a person to get on with their lives after they have served their time.

I guess that is only acceptable for some crimes.
    I wonder if they are the same people that whine on at length about the benefits culture and paying people who are out of work JSA?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if they are the same people that whine on at length about the benefits culture and paying people who are out of work JSA?

Relevance?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Relevance?
    Not much, but asking that the foofender who has served his sentence should not be permitted to follow to return to his profession, would probably result in a period of unemployment.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Not much, but asking that the foofender who has served his sentence should not be permitted to follow to return to his profession, would probably result in a period of unemployment.

Freudian
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Got ya (I'm tired). Yes, one must ask the question, do we really want a person who has served their time to continue being a drain on the state or do we want them to go back to contributing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Freudian
    Haha! :D
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she made her first comment without thinking. She probably meant no punching etc when she said no violence. Not so sure about him being able to return to the club though, even if no punching/slapping wasn't used. Why should being violent during a rape affect if you're allowed to return to your football club? I dunno, that way of thinking's a bit weird.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    if he`s done his time that`s the issue. the grading of rape is unnecessary and irrelevant, she deserves a backlash.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with this. I was deeply disappointed when she effectively held the victim responsible for what happened.

I don't understand how people can't see that a drunk person's consent carries no weight. If no one trusts a drunk person to drive them home, how could anyone expect a drunk person capable of giving informed consent?

I also can't see how could one enjoy having intercourse with a person who's so drunk that they won't remember next day. Where's self-respect?

Clearly if someone is passed out its wrong, but there are many stages of inebriation before that. At what point is someone too drunk? How are we supposed to know, short of a breath test? Almost makes me glad I'm not a randy young footballer.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

The expert who gave evidence at the trial made the assertion that an alcohol related loss of short-term memory after the event does not automatically equate to a lack of decision-making capacity at the time, and it is that which was called into question. A drunk consent is still consent, and according to McDonald (the guy who took her back to the hotel and was subsequently acquitted) when Evans showed up, she was asked if he could participate and she said "Yes". According to Evans, she was enthusiastic, appeared to be enjoying herself and even asked (Evans) to perform oral sex on her. She didn't even make a complaint about either of them with regards the rape claim, it seems as if it were simply concluded when both men were interviewed and, believing they had engaged in a legal (if tacky) night of sex with the girl, they admitted having intercourse with her.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think her view is a valid one, but I think where she went wrong was declaring that the rape wasn't violent and the victim hadn't suffered(paraphrased)
    She can make her point about the offender returning to work after a sentence has been served,without being so dismissive of the effects on the victim.

Yeah, this basically.

I agree that he should be able to return to work and whatever club wants to sign him well that is their business and it's for them to decide.

The talking about it being non-violent and saying that there had been no bodily harm is where Judy went wrong IMO. It did sound like she was belittling the long lasting effects of rape on a woman just because no "bodily harm" was caused.
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she's a ****ing moron, but she shouldn't have to apologise for being a ****ing moron and neither should her husband :p
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Pitman wrote: »
    she's a ****ing moron, but she shouldn't have to apologise for being a ****ing moron and neither should her husband :p

who is forcing her to?
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who is forcing her to?

her boss I'd imagine, though he/she should also be apologising, if you employ morons don't be surprised if they talk bollocks on your tv channel :p
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if he`s done his time that`s the issue. the grading of rape is unnecessary and irrelevant, she deserves a backlash.

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the guy. She has no recollection of the "rape".

The police arrested both Ched and Clayton at the station, they acknowledged that the only evidence that sexual activity had taken place was their admission. There was no complaint of rape, no forensic evidence, no injury and no complaint.

Donaldson was aquited.

How many footballers have been accused of this.

This is why you never , ever, ever talk to the police , no matter how nice and friendly they are without a Solicitor present. He seemed to have talked himself into a very unsafe Rape conviction with the help of very expert Police interviewers.

He's done his time , leave him alone to get on with his life
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member

That isn't the law, though. It was held in R v Bree (2007) that being drunk does not automatically invalidate consent.

This is the current law on the subject (from the Bree case).

“If, through drink (or for any other reason) the complainant has temporarily lost her capacity to choose whether to have intercourse on the relevant occasion, she is not consenting… However, where the complainant has voluntarily consumed even substantial quantities of alcohol, but nevertheless remains capable of choosing whether or not to have intercourse, and in drink agrees to do so, this would not be rape.”

And this is how the judge directed the Jury in Evans' case.

"A woman clearly does not have the capacity to make a choice if she is completely unconscious through the effects of drink and drugs, but there are various stages of consciousness, from being wide awake to dim awareness of reality. In a state of dim and drunken awareness you may, or may not, be in a condition to make choices. So you will need to consider the evidence of the complainant's state and decide these two questions: was she in a condition in which she was capable of making any choice one way or another? If you are sure that she was not, then she did not consent. If, on the other hand, you conclude that she chose to agree to sexual intercourse, or may have done, then you must find the defendants not guilty."
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That isn't the law, though. It was held in R v Bree (2007) that being drunk does not automatically invalidate consent.

This is the current law on the subject (from the Bree case).

“If, through drink (or for any other reason) the complainant has temporarily lost her capacity to choose whether to have intercourse on the relevant occasion, she is not consenting… However, where the complainant has voluntarily consumed even substantial quantities of alcohol, but nevertheless remains capable of choosing whether or not to have intercourse, and in drink agrees to do so, this would not be rape.”

And this is how the judge directed the Jury in Evans' case.

"A woman clearly does not have the capacity to make a choice if she is completely unconscious through the effects of drink and drugs, but there are various stages of consciousness, from being wide awake to dim awareness of reality. In a state of dim and drunken awareness you may, or may not, be in a condition to make choices. So you will need to consider the evidence of the complainant's state and decide these two questions: was she in a condition in which she was capable of making any choice one way or another? If you are sure that she was not, then she did not consent. If, on the other hand, you conclude that she chose to agree to sexual intercourse, or may have done, then you must find the defendants not guilty."

Yes, nice to have some proper law on this , but as you know in court we will always end up with a very brief snapshot of what happened, but this guy talked himself into a rape conviction and the Police knew they needed a confession as to sex having taken place as there was absolutely no other evidence.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2790939/outrage-judy-finnigan-says-rapist-footballer-ched-evans-allowed-rejoin-club-rape-wasn-t-violent-girl-drunk.html

Judy walked into that on her first day. Should people say what they think or play safe and avoid upsetting the easily upset?

Why do you have to be "easily upset" to find her comment disgraceful?
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    jojoeno wrote: »
    Yes, nice to have some proper law on this , but as you know in court we will always end up with a very brief snapshot of what happened, but this guy talked himself into a rape conviction and the Police knew they needed a confession as to sex having taken place as there was absolutely no other evidence.

Yes you're right, the victim never directly accused either of them of rape. It's a very strange case all round, I am surprised that the case didn't go to the Court of Appeal to further clarify the law on drunken consent.