Batch cooking ideas please

2»

Comments

• Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    I have another question if I may?

I plan to do a large batch cooking job of Spaghetti Bolognaise this weekend and freeze it (without the spaghetti of course) :)

Which method of defrosting would you good people recommend - leaving the cooked mince and sauce out overnight and in the fridge during the day and then cooking, or leaving just in the fridge for the day before cooking?

The reason I ask is that I seem to remember in the dim and distant past my Mum had issues with pork chops that she'd taken out of the freezer overnight and left in the fridge to cook and eat at tea time, but parts of them were still frozen. She then refused to cook them as she said it was dangerous to cook partly thawed meat. :confused:

Thanks again for your ideas on this thread - it's been making me hungry just reading them
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,464
    Forum Member
    Another batch question for the pro's here if I may jump in?

When making and freezing individual cottage pies, do you make the potato on top too? Or is it best to make just the mince and add the potato when reheating?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newda898 wrote: »
    Another batch question for the pro's here if I may jump in?

When making and freezing individual cottage pies, do you make the potato on top too? Or is it best to make just the mince and add the potato when reheating?

I always put the potato on then freeze. Just don't make the mash too 'wet'. Add some butter, but not milk/cream etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clank007 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have another question if I may?

I plan to do a large batch cooking job of Spaghetti Bolognaise this weekend and freeze it (without the spaghetti of course) :)

Which method of defrosting would you good people recommend - leaving the cooked mince and sauce out overnight and in the fridge during the day and then cooking, or leaving just in the fridge for the day before cooking?

The reason I ask is that I seem to remember in the dim and distant past my Mum had issues with pork chops that she'd taken out of the freezer overnight and left in the fridge to cook and eat at tea time, but parts of them were still frozen. She then refused to cook them as she said it was dangerous to cook partly thawed meat. :confused:

Thanks again for your ideas on this thread - it's been making me hungry just reading them
    I would take it out of the freezer on the day, and leave it out to defrost in a cupboard (not the fridge) during the day.
  • ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    I take my flat pack frozen food out the Freezer before bed
    and put it inside my 28cm Ceracraft Fry pan - on top of the cooker - With the LID on

If I want to eat any frozen vegetables with it the next day
    I will also take them out from the freezer at the same time
    and just pop them all into the frypan - together
    :)
    Forum Member
    orangebird wrote: »
    I always put the potato on then freeze. Just don't make the mash too 'wet'. Add some butter, but not milk/cream etc.

Okies, thanks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newda898 wrote: »
    Okies, thanks!

And before you put it in the oven to cook, put a few more little dots of butter on top. Makes the potato 'catch' a bit, makes the very top of the mash lovely and crispy golden brown. :)
    Forum Member
    And before you put it in the oven to cook, put a few more little dots of butter on top. Makes the potato 'catch' a bit, makes the very top of the mash lovely and crispy golden brown. :)

Righto, I found some lovely little dishes in Morrisons a few weeks ago that'll be perfect for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    Are there any health fears about leaving a previously cooked frozen chicken stew out on the kitchen cabinet for example during the day and then cooking it from room temperature that evening?

Chicken is normally kept in the fridge so wont bacteria form in the chicken should this left to defrost and warm up to room temperature for a few hours?
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Hi,
    Are there any health fears about leaving a previously cooked frozen chicken stew out on the kitchen cabinet for example during the day and then cooking it from room temperature that evening?

Chicken is normally kept in the fridge so wont bacteria form in the chicken should this left to defrost and warm up to room temperature for a few hours?

Yes, that's right in theory, although to be honest I've left things out to defrost on the counter many times without any problems. You should really leave it to defrost in the fridge, then remove it not long before cooking, to finish defrosting. The problem is that harmful bacteria will rapidly start to multiply at room temperature. The longer the food is at room temperature, the longer this process will go on for. Defrosting in a fridge or microwave is better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Yes, that's right in theory, although to be honest I've left things out to defrost on the counter many times without any problems. You should really leave it to defrost in the fridge, then remove it not long before cooking, to finish defrosting. The problem is that harmful bacteria will rapidly start to multiply at room temperature. The longer the food is at room temperature, the longer this process will go on for. Defrosting in a fridge or microwave is better.

If you cook it thoroughly, the heat should kill the bacteria. I've always left food out to defrost all day at room temperature. Not died yet. Although I do have the constitution of an ox when it comes to food.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    If you cook it thoroughly, the heat should kill the bacteria. I've always left food out to defrost all day at room temperature. Not died yet. Although I do have the constitution of an ox when it comes to food.

Making sure the food is piping hot is a must, yes, but it the heat won't kill all the bacteria, and the more there are in the first place, the more will survive. Having said that, I do it all the time too, and am also still alive to tell the tale! I've never made myself or anyone else sick.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cooking will kill bacteria, but some bacteria produce toxins which will survive cooking and make you ill anyway. We all make our own risk assessments, of course, but if you want to minimise the risk, defrost in the fridge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    Thanks to this thread I've been batch cooking for a few weeks now and the time it saves the evening of eating is great.
    The only problem I'm finding is that the re-usable microwavable contaners that I use (link here either split when opened after freezing, or the lids expand when freezing meaning I have to wrap elastic bands around them tightly before freezing food in them.

Do any of you guys use similar products? If so, which would you recommend please?
    I'm tempted to use freezer bags like others have syggested in the thread previously but to be honest would prefer stackable containers if poss.
    Cheers
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only problem I'm finding is that the re-usable microwavable contaners that I use (link here either split when opened after freezing, or the lids expand when freezing meaning I have to wrap elastic bands around them tightly before freezing food in them.

Do any of you guys use similar products? If so, which would you recommend please?
    I'm tempted to use freezer bags like others have syggested in the thread previously but to be honest would prefer stackable containers if poss.
    Cheers
    Sounds like you are overfilling them - you need to leave some room for (mostly water-based) contents to expand as they freeze.

I use the type of container that has plastic clips that firmly attach the lid to the base. Would probably have bought them from a supermarket, but I can't recall the details offhand!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    yep..i just cooked fresh lasagne, and then divide it into bowls to freeze the lasagne mince...then i just get one out when i next want a lasagne,,get it out the night before then just do the pasta and cheese sauce,
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,
    Thanks to this thread I've been batch cooking for a few weeks now and the time it saves the evening of eating is great.

Cheers

I have been using this company for a couple of years now. I do a lot of batch cooking and never had a container split on me. In fact I use them again and again (I don't buy the ones marked "disposable).
    http://www.ampulla.co.uk/Clear-Plastic-Food-Pots-&-Tubs/c-1-206/
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of my containers are ones I've saved after getting a take-away;-)
    I've also bought some from Tesco, and more recently Wilkinsons - 6 for a quid!:D

I tend not to use the thicker containers for freezing as they get very fragile when cold - if you drop them they will crack. Of course the same applies to the cheapo ones, but I'm not bothered about them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I got a pack of foil containers from Morrisons today and it was £1.59 for them. I use them along with the the takeaway plastic ones.

The foil ones are great for stuff you put back in the oven... I'm making a sausage casserole to freeze so they are perfect for that!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    home made chicken soup is another one i freeze into batches..Comes in handy when you want soup or if your not feeling well..i love soup when i'm not feeling 100%
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

If your chicken was properly cooked, then swiftly chilled first time around, then there shouldn't be much to worry about bacteria wise, but it's always good practice to avoid having your food in the danger zone for longer than necessary.

The safest way to be sure your food doesn't get warm, before you want to cook it, is to defrost in the fridge, but how long that takes will depend on the size and shape of the food. If you use the fridge, the defrosting food will help keep that cool, so saves a tiny bit of power. But if it only half defrosts, and you end up microwaving it, you've gained nothing. If you defrost out of the fridge, then the still frozen bits of food will keep the defrosted bits cool.

You would need to make a judgement. If you defrost out of the fridge, and the food is already room temperature by the time you come to cook it, you have to wonder how long it has been warm?

I generally batch cook the same as everyone else on here. Any kind of stew or soup seems to work best. Anything with a sauce is easiest to reheat without the meat drying out, or getting tough.