Options

Potatoes sticking to my non-stick baking tray

yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been making oven cooked chips, but every time the potato pieces stick to what is supposed to be a non-stick baking tray. Why?

I've even covered the base of the tray with a bit of oil and I've also oiled up the potato pieces as well.

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Not a good quality tray?

Have you washed the potatoes to remove the starch?

Other things you could try are baking/greaseproof paper, tinfoil or a silicone sheet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Not a good quality tray?

Have you washed the potatoes to remove the starch?

Other things you could try are baking/greaseproof paper, tinfoil or a silicone sheet.

It's an ASDA George 'quality living' brand, cost me £3. Its not the cheapest one on the shelf but its not the most expensive either. It seems pretty bog standard to me, I thought it would do the job.

I've only washed the potatoes on the outside, I don't bother peeling them.

If I put tinfoil, surely the same thing would happen, only that the chips would be sticking to the foil instead. It would still be a pain in the arse to remove them one by one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You need to wash or soak the chips to remove the starch.

When I make chips I tend to soak them in a bowl of cold water with a dash of white wine vinegar for an hour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    You need to wash or soak the chips to remove the starch.

When I make chips I tend to soak them in a bowl of cold water with a dash of white wine vinegar for an hour.

so is the starch is making them stick to the tray?

and apart from that, is there anything wrong with leaving the starch?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yesman2012 wrote: »
    so is the starch making them stick to the tray?

and apart from that, is there anything wrong with leaving the starch?
    You can only test and see if that is the problem.

There's nothing wrong with starch apart from it being 'starchy'. I find if I don't wash off the starch the chips brown too quickly. No scientist but I imagine starch -> sugar
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yesman2012 wrote: »
    I've been making oven cooked chips, but every time the potato pieces stick to what is supposed to be a non-stick baking tray. Why?

I've even covered the base of the tray with a bit of oil and I've also oiled up the potato pieces as well.

How long have you had it?

I recently bought a "not cheap" nonstick frying pan.
    It was crap within months despite being properly cared for.

Edit: just thought - are you putting them on a cold tray and then inserting tray when oven is ready?
    If so, try leaving the tray in first then chucking the chips onto the hot tray when ready.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Cover the tray in foil and tuck the surplus foil around the edges, then spread a thin layer of cooking oil (I use groundnut oil) over the surface with a tissue making sure you cover the entire tray area. Stick the tray in the warmed oven (as Toby said) about 20 secs before you want to use it and you will notice that the chips will stick this first time.

Leave the foil and the residual oil on the tray after use and the second time put the tray in the warmed oven as before and this time and subsequent uses the chips won't stick. I buy the cheap light grey non-stick baking trays from Wilkinsons (37 x 25cm) which retain their shape and rigidity.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use a plain cheap tray. I toss my chips in olive oil, salt and pepper then bung on a cold tray and chuck them in the oven. Not once have they stuck so I really don't understand what's going on here.
  • Options
    g jonesg jones Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use a plain cheap tray. I toss my chips in olive oil, salt and pepper then bung on a cold tray and chuck them in the oven. Not once have they stuck so I really don't understand what's going on here.

This the method I use as well and no sticking problems at all. It is all about coating the potatoes in oil first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a roasting tin one year and no matter what I did with it, everything stuck to the damn thing.
    I seasoned it when I first used it and tried everything I could think of, nothing worked. I ended up chucking the thing out. Sometimes you can just get a dodgy one.
    No problems with any of my other tins.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think thats just the way some of them are. I have worked my way through a plethora of tins for this and that and all of them make something or other stick to it, but not consistently, its hit and miss. I dont buy cheap stuff either.

This is also with various experiments of oil or fat, foil or not, dry or not, all sorts of stuff.

I have found that when you first get something out of the oven, if you try to get it off the tray straight away it will nearly always stick, let it cool for a couple of minutes first, and it will have unstuck itself.
  • Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fry them.

In a deep fryer, I cut them big, proper chips, healthier and definitely tastier chips.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fry them.

In a deep fryer, I cut them big, proper chips, healthier and definitely tastier chips.
    Deep fat fried is actually healthier than oven baked?
    I'm getting rid of my oven!
    It only melts the Mars Bars anyway.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get sick to death of baking trays. They are always excellent for about 4 uses and then everything sticks. It drives me mad. I have tried really good quality ones too with a guarantee (and I do take them back) and the same thing happens. I now line every tray with baking paper before I put anything in the oven.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fry them.

No, no, no.

I got rid of my fryer months ago, I use my air fryer for chips. If done right then there is little difference in the taste.

i notice a lot of people are now doing this chips in oven thing lately, my sister does it.

Starch is a problem and will make the chips stick, but I never licked non-stick anyway.
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    No, no, no.

I got rid of my fryer months ago, I use my air fryer for chips. If done right then there is little difference in the taste.

i notice a lot of people are now doing this chips in oven thing lately, my sister does it.

Starch is a problem and will make the chips stick, but I never licked non-stick anyway.

Slimming World recommend doing chips sprayed with fry light in the oven so I suspect it's caught on.

I buy greaseproof paper from Home Bargains and line my oven trays with it when I do roast potatoes or bread rolls. Saves time on washing up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you waiting until the chips are thoroughly cooked and crispy on the underside before you try and move them?