Options

Frozen jacket spuds - WTF?

Comments

• Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you microwave first, then bake it works.
    People who don't eat the skin are mental, just buy some instant mash if that's all you want
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always microwave a potato for 4-5 minutes, depending on size. I then bung it in the oven for half an hour.

The McCains ones are ok, but as someone said, they can be dry.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Landis wrote: »
    Buy a large sack of potatoes.
    Wash them.
    Cook them in the oven. Yes - all of them. Fill the freaking oven.
    Let them cool.
    Put them in the freezer.
    Take one out of the freezer the night before you want to use it.
    Microwave it for a few minutes: Baked Potato with perfect crispy skin.

The McCain offering is just fine - but too expensive.
    I think the point of frozen jacket spuds is that it only takes 5 minutes. Either you want a quick meal or it's a quick decision to have one.

Taking them out of the freezer the night before to defrost defeats the object.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »
    Disagree.
    If you tried one as hot and spicy as I like mine then you would change your mind.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    queenshaks wrote: »
    I always microwave a potato for 4-5 minutes, depending on size. I then bung it in the oven for half an hour.

The McCains ones are ok, but as someone said, they can be dry.

Sometimes I do that too :) And always rub the skin in olive oil and salt too, that way the skin goes crispier apparently.
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I think the point of frozen jacket spuds is that it only takes 5 minutes. Either you want a quick meal or it's a quick decision to have one.

Taking them out of the freezer the night before to defrost defeats the object.

No need to take them out the night before - I freeze my own cooked jackets then micro them from frozen.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Sometimes I do that too :) And always rub the skin in olive oil and salt too, that way the skin goes crispier apparently.
    Crispy skin is the whole point of a baked spud so it's got to be the oven:p
    I prick them lightly and massage them well with a mixture of oil salt, crushed black pepper and paprika and place in oven proof dish.
    Deelicious!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've just put them straight in the oven, it seems to go crispy ok :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crispy skin is the whole point of a baked spud so it's got to be the oven:p
    I prick them lightly and massage them well with a mixture of oil salt, crushed black pepper and paprika and place in oven proof dish.
    Deelicious!

It does go crispy after it has been microwaved then placed in the oven.

Best baking potato variety is Maforna - they are just ace!
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    queenshaks wrote: »
    It does go crispy after it has been microwaved then placed in the oven.

Best baking potato variety is Maforna - they are just ace!
    Yes, I've used a microwave to get a head start but it has to be an oven for best overall results.
    Another great idea is to remove the flesh, keeping the skins on low heat, mash/cream the flesh and pop it back in the skins - grated cheese on top and under the grill.

Where do you obtain Maforna? I've not heard of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hate jacket potatoes with crispy, chewy, orrible skins. Worst thing about them.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I thought they tasted lovely. And very different to a potato microwaved from scratch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It may be because I was brought up to enjoy baked potatoes rather than "jacket" potatoes which seems to be a more modern suffern affectation.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    2 hours seems a long time in the oven for 1 potato though (and could be a waste of energy). I'd NEVER microwave potatoes, they have to be baked but then again.....

I'm not particularly concerned about the energy it uses, I just want a nice jacket potato.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    I hate jacket potatoes with crispy, chewy, orrible skins. Worst thing about them.

Really? It's the best bit for me.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you tried one as hot and spicy as I like mine then you would change your mind.

I like Egg Mayonnaise on mine :D
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Yes, I've used a microwave to get a head start but it has to be an oven for best overall results.
    Another great idea is to remove the flesh, keeping the skins on low heat, mash/cream the flesh and pop it back in the skins - grated cheese on top and under the grill.

I love those, mixed with onions, bacon and cheese :)
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I thought they tasted lovely. And very different to a potato microwaved from scratch.

Me too. I love them!! I think the name is bansters or something like that. I dont really use spuds much so if i buy a bag of 4, some will get chucked out.

The frozen ones suit me and my lifestyle. I dont have a spare hour to cook a potato :o
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I were a lad we used to bake spuds on 'bonfire... in the bathroom.

In those days spuds were known as "doodlebugs" and were 2 or 3 feet long, one spud would feed a family for weeks.

You would need a special licence to buy one, worth it though for the silver and gold content in the skins. "Skin Man" would come 'round every 2nd Tuesday to collect the valuable skins, melted down to be used to create a tiara for posh folk down the road.

But tell kids today about this and they won't believe you!
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    When I were a lad we used to bake spuds on 'bonfire... in the bathroom.

In those days spuds were known as "doodlebugs" and were 2 or 3 feet long, one spud would feed a family for weeks.

You would need a special licence to buy one, worth it though for the silver and gold content in the skins. "Skin Man" would come 'round every 2nd Tuesday to collect the valuable skins, melted down to be used to create a tiara for posh folk down the road.

But tell kids today about this and they won't believe you!

I'd have killed for a spud bonfire when I were a lad. You were looky
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not great but considering they only take 5 minutes to cook and last for months in the freezer. they're not bad either.

If I know in advance when I'm going to want a jacket potato, I'll buy the biggest one I can find and cook it for 1-2 hours in the oven but life isn't always like that.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It may be because I was brought up to enjoy baked potatoes rather than "jacket" potatoes which seems to be a more modern suffern affectation.
    They're the same thing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Usually M&S, my mum used to work there and got them for me.

In Tesco and Asda, they do a 4 pack and if you read the variety, it should tell you. That's a hit and miss though. I bought some from Asda 2 weeks and I got Maforna, today I got another variety.

So if you see that variety anywhere (keep your eyes peeled), grab some. The flesh is amazing when it's been baked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    They're the same thing
    Not judging by how people on here are describing how they prepare theirs. A baked potato does not have to end up with a thick, hard to chew skin as a jacket. I prefer mine naked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not judging by how people on here are describing how they prepare theirs. A baked potato does not have to end up with a thick, hard to chew skin as a jacket. I prefer mine naked.

You're doing them wrong if the skin is hard to chew.