Options

Sarah Silverman Programme...Any Good?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
Forum Member
I notice that Paramount are starting to show The Sarah Silverman Programme next Thurs (4th Oct). Does anyone know if this is any good? Is there any of that awful canned laughter on it, that for me kills a comedy dead!

I think Sarah Silverman is usually a good watch but with it being on Paramount I'm a bit wary as most first view programmes I've seen on here (apart from South Park) have been pretty dreadful!

There is another Paramount exclusive called Knights Of Prosperity which I may be tempted to try but I'm not sure of because of the reason above. Anyone know anything of this?

Comments

• Options
    robhirobhi Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's definitely not what you'd describe as a traditional sit-com (so no, no canned laughter), it's multi-camera and the humour is very Sarah Silverman, quirky (episodes tend to include animated sequences, weird little songs suddenly break-out etc) and quite often dark. It's love it or hate it stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks. I'll give it at a try next week.
  • Options
    alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    If you find her standup funny ou will like the show. I don't and don't.
  • Options
    FiyeroFiyero Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I downloaded one of the episodes on iTunes (US) on a whim then downloaded the whole series. I loved it, but I think it will be marmite.
    Give it a go, you will soon know whether you like it or not.
  • Options
    simsysimsy Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched all of series 1 (series 2 starts next week in US), and I agree it's like Marmite, love it or hate. I loved it. The songs and her wit are so funny. I recommend this HIGHLY..
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Sorry, dont get the hype.

She has one gimmick: 'sweet looking Jewish girl ' who tells extremely near the knuckle material about race and sex.

A 'schtick' that gets old fast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's quite good if you like your comedy a bit surreal.

As a gay guy I like that the gay couple are not made into some stereotype for comedy value.

Not saying this show is trying to advance equality (hah can you imagine?!) but it just adds to it's uniqueness.

It also features the woman who played Jane (the producer) in "The Comeback" lovin' her work.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, dont get the hype.

She has one gimmick: 'sweet looking Jewish girl ' who tells extremely near the knuckle material about race and sex.

A 'schtick' that gets old fast.

I really won't describe her as that.

A lot of commedians have a "thing", being crude is her thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this! Wonderfully politically incorrect!:D The acting was a bit ropey & it looked extremely low budget but I think this was deliberate.
  • Options
    nationwide232nationwide232 Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes - it's really funny. And I hardly like anything so it must be good.
  • Options
    kenny brockellykenny brockelly Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's certainly different. I gave up on Vivienne Vyle and Peter Serafinowicz after about 10 minutes each, whereas I watched bot Silverman episodes.

Whether this because I found it funny or just fancy Sarah Silverman I don't know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    She doesn't look 37...
  • Options
    the_red_devilthe_red_devil Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    rubbish show
  • Options
    TonayBoyTonayBoy Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the first episode ages ago when it was on in the US. Didn't like it much. Some funny jokes tho.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I like the show but can totally see how some people wouldn't - purely a matter of taste (or lack thereof) ;-)
  • Options
    pelicanopelicano Posts: 6,055
    Forum Member
    I saw about 10 minutes of the first show and couldn't watch anymore, so definitely agree with the Marmite thing!
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Rubbish.

Comedy so slow and telegraphed it might as well be wearing lead boots...
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next week?

How come it has already downloaded 6 episodes a few days ago onto my TopUp TV hard-drive?

Already watched the one where she thinks she has AIDS.

Very new-age comedy - i.e. not funny, she just likes to make people feel uncomfortable for no apparent reason.
  • Options
    Magpie11Magpie11 Posts: 9,294
    Forum Member
    Sarah Silverman was on 8 out of 10 cats tonight and she was very funny.

First time I'd really noticed her so I'm going to check out this show if it's still on Paramount.

She's also on Jonathon Ross tomorrow night by the way.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jon_boy wrote: »
    She doesn't look 37...

I can't believe she's that old! Not that she's 'old' but she hardly looks 30. She's really hot IMO, maybe even moreso now than she was years ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    In a word... No
  • Options
    JauntyMontyJauntyMonty Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    Been a while since I wathced the first series but I seem to recall some episodes being far better than others. She is an acquired taste and she doesn't always hit the mark but when she's funny she's very very funny both on her show and in her standup. The blood test scene in Positively Negative was superb.
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    Never really heard of her before watching 8 Out Of 10 Cats tonight.

She was really funny and very cute. Definitely gonna check out her show.
  • Options
    MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My boyfriend absolutely loves her, whereas I sometimes find her a little bit too much. I've not got the constitution for constantly uncomfortable comedy. She is good though, I promise you, you should check her out. We've got the first two series on DVD and they do get watched quite a bit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy the programme but I can really see how lots of people wouldn't like it at all. The one where the batteries on her TV remote ran out and she had an affair with Black God but later dumped him was very good.