mike skinner cameo.

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know him...well not personally obviously;)....I do like one or two of his songs, mainly because they tend to be different to the usual norm....but I have to say that it was quite suprising to see him first thing in that episode last night, as I thought I tuned into on of the music channels...:eek:

kind of glad he didn't have a speaking part.....for now at least...although his character is probably dead now, so won't have a speaking part at all..
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Streets have actually had two number one albums, with total sales of almost 5m across the four albums to date and spent quite a lot of time about five years ago or so being the favourite topic of the Review section of weekend newspapers. In the same way that Zadie Smith did a decade ago. Based on Wikipedia's listing, the first four Streets albums outsold e.g. the first four Blondie albums.

You also probably have heard something by them; they're briefly on the car radio in Father's Day, back in Eccleston times.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd heard of him but I wouldn't have been able to tell you what he looked like
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Not everyone is interested in the same things. I listen to the radio-but Radio 2, Radio 4 and BBC 7 aren't really likely to showcase this bloke's kind of music, I suspect. Out of touch with the kind of stuff important to teenagers is not out of touch with 'real life'.

However admonishing things that have previously been reported on this site by just saying "whos this?" and "never heard of him" just shows lazy commenting..

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s7/doctor-who/news/a169765/mike-skinner-for-new-doctor-who.html

There was a big fuss at the time as Mike Skinner "twittered" about his appearance in the show before it had been revealed by the BBC.
    Forum Member
    Vabosity wrote: »
    You're obviously still young. When you get to a certain age, showing ignorance, or better still, comtempt for modern popular culture (Doctor Who excepted, of course!) is an increasingly desirable attitude to adopt. When one's youth is well and truly over it definitely becomes cool to be uncool.

Shame as i'm 33. However i prefer not to stick my head in the sand when it comes to the world around me..

Its not fashionable to show a lack of knowledge unless you have been spoonfed information rather than sought it out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike Skinner isn't in the Streets, he IS The Streets.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However admonishing things that have previously been reported on this site by just saying "whos this?" and "never heard of him" just shows lazy commenting..

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s7/doctor-who/news/a169765/mike-skinner-for-new-doctor-who.html

There was a big fuss at the time as Mike Skinner "twittered" about his appearance in the show before it had been revealed by the BBC.
    I rarely read the news page. And I'm still not clear on what 'twittering' is, nor do I really care. As I said, not everyone is interested in the same things.
    Shame as i'm 33. However i prefer not to stick my head in the sand when it comes to the world around me..

Its not fashionable to show a lack of knowledge unless you have been spoonfed information rather than sought it out.
    I did 'seek it out'. I asked who he was.
    Forum Member
    Does the phrase going "off topic" mean anything.? This thread is about Mike Skinner and his cameo in Doctor Who..

Personally I thought he would be there longer..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does the phrase going "off topic" mean anything.? This thread is about Mike Skinner and his cameo in Doctor Who..
    OK: apparently, this Skinner bloke was in it for a few seconds, which is indeed a cameo. That seems to about cover it.
    Why?
    Forum Member
    OK: apparently, this Skinner bloke was in it for a few seconds, which is indeed a cameo. That seems to about cover it.

Why?

Why? I'm a little confused if you have watched this episode or not? He was the guard with the lipstick on his face.

As a big fuss was made about his appearance at the time he was discussing it on twitter. And several newspapers and forums including this one discussed it as some big deal.

It amounted to less than a minute onscreen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? I'm a little confused if you have watched this episode or not? He was the guard with the lipstick on his face.
    Fair enough. To me, the guard with lipstick on his face was just a bloke with lipstick on his face. River song got him with a hallucinogenic drug in the lipstick, yes? But he could have been anybody. He still could. I watched it, yes, but I couldn't point him out to you in a line up.
    As a big fuss was made about his appearance at the time he was discussing it on twitter. And several newspapers and forums including this one discussed it as some big deal.

It amounted to less than a minute onscreen.
    I never read any of that. Lots of people make cameo appearances on Who. Look at Patrick Moore, a man who is undoubtedly a lot more recognizable to most people than this Skinner bloke. Yet nobody made a fuss about him appearing. Must have been a slow news day.
    Forum Member
    Fair enough. To me, the guard with lipstick on his face was just a bloke with lipstick on his face. River song got him with a hallucinogenic drug in the lipstick, yes? But he could have been anybody. He still could. I watched it, yes, but I couldn't point him out to you in a line up.
    I never read any of that. Lots of people make cameo appearances on Who. Look at Patrick Moore, a man who is undoubtedly a lot more recognizable to most people than this Skinner bloke. Yet nobody made a fuss about him appearing. Must have been a slow news day.

Thats because Patrick Moore didn't break convention by the way he announced his appearance. I was pretty impressed to see Patrick Moore. But yes it was a slow news day.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I did 'seek it out'. I asked who he was.
    It must have taken longer to ask who Mike Skinner is and wait for a response than it would do to simply type "Mike Skinner" into Google. Are you posting from China or some other country where it's illegal to search the World Wide Web?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It must have taken longer to ask who Mike Skinner is and wait for a response than it would do to simply type "Mike Skinner" into Google. Are you posting from China or some other country where it's illegal to search the World Wide Web?

OK, just done that. Google 'Mike Skinner' and the first result that comes up seems to be about an American racing driver. The one you're talking about shows up after that. Wikipedia states there's also a Rugby player by the same name. For all I knew, the OP could have meant any of them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It kind of irks me to see what is sort of like a snobbery about popular culture...like people swanning into threads about some celebrity or other purely to post

"never heard of them :confused:"

as if they must be such absolute non-entities not to have managed to register in their supreme consciousness. Then saying things such as that being "out of touch with the kind of stuff important to teenagers is not out of touch with 'real life'."

This is what I see when I Google "Mike Skinner," by the way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    goonst wrote: »
    It kind of irks me to see what is sort of like a snobbery about popular culture...like people swanning into threads about some celebrity or other purely to post

"never heard of them :confused:"

as if they must be such absolute non-entities not to have managed to register in their supreme consciousness. Then saying things such as that being "out of touch with the kind of stuff important to teenagers is not out of touch with 'real life'."
    Well, it isn't.

This is what I see when I Google "Mike Skinner," by the way.

That entry's down below the bottom of the screen when I do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    I'm no fan of The Streets, but me and the wife both went 'Oh look, it's Mike Skinner off The Streets' when he appeared. I think it's fine for someone to start a thread pointing this out as it was most unexpected. The fact that it was just a cameo rather than a main role - cf Kyle - made it more unusual somehow.

I don't get the joy some people get out of saying 'I've never heard of him!'. Congratulations - what do you want, a paper hat? Is this supposed to show that you're untouched by grotty popular culture? What are you doing watching Doctor Who then?

And there's not much of a comparison with Patrick Moore, who was playing himself, as other sciency-type figures have done before on Dr Who - ie Richard Dawkins.
  • outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    Orion wrote: »
    I'm no fan of The Streets, but me and the wife both went 'Oh look, it's Mike Skinner off The Streets' when he appeared. I think it's fine for someone to start a thread pointing this out as it was most unexpected. The fact that it was just a cameo rather than a main role - cf Kyle - made it more unusual somehow.

I don't get the joy some people get out of saying 'I've never heard of him!'. Congratulations - what do you want, a paper hat? Is this supposed to show that you're untouched by grotty popular culture? What are you doing watching Doctor Who then?

And there's not much of a comparison with Patrick Moore, who was playing himself, as other sciency-type figures have done before on Dr Who - ie Richard Dawkins.

I, for one, haven't heard of anyone you mention. :confused:

Of course, if your wife is on TV, then I assume she's a "reality TV" star or is in a soap, neither of which I would dream of watching.

I look forward to receiving my paper hat at your earliest convenience. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    I thought to myself...."that guy looks familiar....isn't that....he SOUNDS like Mike Skinner. Nah, can't be.":D

But he was gone in a couple of minutes, so I forgot about it, to it was revived here.

I liked that guy in the suit, incidentally. He was a good mini-villain. He deserves a longer part in something.
  • liquidJPliquidJP Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wanted him to be ;) He is quite nice :o:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    I just wanted to add a bit of on-topic info...
    This episode was directed by newcomer Adam Smith. Previously he had only done music videos including 10 for, guess who, The Streets.
    I presume he offered Mike Skinner the role.
    I like to think it was because Skinner is going to feature in a future episode, or maybe Adam wanted someone who sounded common and poetic at the same time, but it was probably just a way of giving a mate a few extra quid! You can see the other videos he directed on Adam's homepage http://bit.ly/9tSqDR I'm suprised he hasn't updated his CV to include these Doctor Who episodes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Never heard of him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I just have to point out to the people that have been "explaining" who Mike Skinner is - he is not in a band called The Streets, The Streets is his stage name, he's a solo artist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cry::D He could have been in longer ax