Blue singer: "I treat disabled people like normal people"

Comments

• Options
    ValereValere Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Unbelievable! Enough said.

What, because I disagree with you? I'm not someone who gets offended easily; I just think his wording was appalling and have said so. I'm entitled to my opinion. :)
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't be bothered.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    Fatsia wrote: »
    ... and I thought Lee was supposed to be the thick one!

In fact he even says: "what pisses me off most about this industry is when people call me thick. I hate that. Because things I say sometimes come out stupid"

Morons. :rolleyes:

Ha! Before I clicked this thread, I thought "Yep, Lee said something stupid..again:rolleyes: Kinda shocked that it was Duncan this time. A bit of an odd thing for him to say, though.. don't you think??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Can't be bothered.

So you're entitled to your opinion, but I shouldn't have mine? Really, why does what I think about what some non-entity in an ageing boyband bother you so much?
  • Options
    RendevousRendevous Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Valere wrote: »
    So you're entitled to your opinion, but I shouldn't have mine? Really, why does what I think about what some non-entity in an ageing boyband bother you so much?

Your opinion is flawed instead of looking at what the paper has written maybe you should realise that this journalist has twisted his words to make a headline.

All Duncan is saying is he treats everyone the same no matter what the person looks like or any disadvantage that person may have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rendevous wrote: »
    Your opinion is flawed instead of looking at what the paper has written maybe you should realise that this journalist has twisted his words to make a headline.

All Duncan is saying is he treats everyone the same no matter what the person looks like or any disadvantage that person may have.

I've got no problem accepting it if I'm wrong but, as I said, aren't the Blue members known for saying daft things and being immature?
  • Options
    RendevousRendevous Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Valere wrote: »
    I've got no problem accepting it if I'm wrong but, as I said, aren't the Blue members known for saying daft things and being immature?

You are wrong his comment wasn't immature it got taken out of context. Its irreverent discussing past comments made by members of the band when his comments have been twisted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are wrong his comment wasn't immature it got taken out of context. Its irreverent discussing past comments made by members of the band when his comments have been twisted.

If they have a reputation for being immature, surely people can't help judging them based upon that.

At the moment nobody knows if he was correctly quoted or not, so I guess we should wait and see if anyone from the band or their PR challenges what the journalist wrote.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member

Exactly - the offended brigade cant see that !
    he is thick as two planks,but his words were meant in the right spirit.
    but that is not enough for modern sensibilties - people have to be outraged and take everything literally !!!
  • Options
    Hootie McBoobHootie McBoob Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    To be fair to the foot in gob ****, I do see what he means (although his manager needs a bit of diversity/equality training with Dunc)

It is idiotic to treat disabled people the same as "everyone else". To treat people equally is to make reasonable adjustments for their disability and to ask the person with the disability what do they want/need.

I do accept this did come out badly or at least I hope it did
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    So we've got one patronising thicko, one that pi$$e$ up cash machines - what treats do the other two have in store, before they represent our wonderful country in the Eurofest?
  • Options
    Hootie McBoobHootie McBoob Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    So we've got one patronising thicko, one that pi$$e$ up cash machines - what treats do the other two have in store, before they represent our wonderful country in the Eurofest?

Weeeelllll! Simon Webb did say at one point that Blue invented UK hip hop with 'Rise'.... Splendid!

You do have to wonder why Blue's PR are so shit?
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Weeeelllll! Simon Webb did say at one point that Blue invented UK hip hop with 'Rise'.... Splendid!

Rise, hip hop? LOL! He at least has a sense of humour. It was a catchy OK pop song at most.
  • Options
    TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the former mum of a disabled daughter (she passed away last year) I find his attitude, and sadly there are many like him, much worse than the bigots
  • Options
    Jem19876Jem19876 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think he was being malicious, and I don't think anyone has claimed he was. He was just being an idiot. Blue have always been known as being a bit thick, which is part of the reason the tabloids love them. They have been forgiven for saying and doing all kinds of stupid things in the past, and I read that when they were first launched they planned to court the press, and the press love it when boyband members say stupid things. The thicker they are, the better.

What Duncan said is, as so many people keep saying, very David Brent-esque. Great intentions, but a total lack of awareness of what they are talking about, and an inability to know when to shut up, mixed in with a certain amount of arrogance. Duncan's undoing was that he was trying to show off by talking about his relationship with disabled fans. He wasn't trying to educate, he was bigging himself up, and the result was making himself look like a numpty.

Everyone will have a laugh at Duncan being a thicko, and then everyone will move on. It's not going to do him or the band any harm. It's just another spoke in the publicity wheel.
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member

That's hardly a fact, is it? The interviewer could have asked leading questions, but he was still silly enough to talk nonsense. At best, he was naive. Surely he has been around long enough to know when to shut his mouth?
  • Options
    Cannon-FodderCannon-Fodder Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Duncan doughnut.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's made my day. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jem19876 wrote: »
    Duncan's undoing was that he was trying to show off by talking about his relationship with disabled fans. He wasn't trying to educate, he was bigging himself up, and the result was making himself look like a numpty.

It's actually quite funny in a tragic sort of way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Who's the most popular? "We all have different fans," Duncan says. "I get a lot of the mums and the disabled children. A lot of my fans have got cerebral palsy, but you know what? I love children like that, and I love people who have got disabilities because I spent a lot of time in hospital with my grandparents when they were ill, and Mum was a nurse. It's just in my nature. I'm like a magnet to them, and I treat them like normal people so they latch on. I once had a launch party and there was a queue of disabled kids all in wheelchairs come to see me, and Sara [the band's manager] walked in and goes: 'What is it with you and disabled people?'"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/apr/19/blue-eurovision-song-contest

How good of him.

Very good, Duncan - well done.

......however.....I'm sorry to leave on a sour note but Easter Island wants your face back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,434
    Forum Member
    I'm 4% insulted, 93% laughing hysterically, 3% concerned for his mental state. Poor Duncan, oh the irony of it all. Blue definitely need full time care.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    j4Rose wrote: »
    That's hardly a fact, is it? The interviewer could have asked leading questions, but he was still silly enough to talk nonsense. At best, he was naive. Surely he has been around long enough to know when to shut his mouth?

Coming out has gone to his head - he needs to get shoved back in again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    notfussy wrote: »
    My three children have disabilities and I can assure this numpty that they are perfectly bloody normal. What defines normal anyway? Pr*ck.

I've got a step nephew who is disabled and I'm not getting as 'excited' as you appear to be getting. If everyone thought about every single word we said and how we were going to say it, we'd take an awful long time to speak.
  • Options
    FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member

It wasn't taken out of context...

It was immature and he doesn't have the brain power to word what he wanted to correctly.

I personally think it reads hilariously - he's trying so hard to be PC and ended up coming across entirely the opposite - exactly like the aforementioned David Brent quote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »

He could have said that he treated all fans the same, but I really don't think this was malicious or patronising in any way. I just think some WANT to be offended, that's all.