BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Thought only myself found Tony dull and the show dragged. Phil's a great interviewer and not sycophantic and biased as some can be.Would have loved to see Dotun ( my fav) or Colin Patterson on the 10 to 1 slot. Dotun deserves a promotion, Sorry Bill's going from USA Today. WLT send a message to that man.

I agree that Phil Williams is a great interviewer. He does a rare thing - he listens to the answers that he gets. I'm looking forward to a bit more intelligence on the late evening show - although I did enjoy Tony most of the time.

As for Dotun deserving a promotion, he has had his own show for many years, and had all the ideas in the first few weeks. He has been stuck on repeat every week since then. He does not listen, but he does repeatedly like to tell you about famous people he has met, or how good his wife is at performing. You can even hear how bored he is sometimes when he runs through the show and station ID stuff in record time.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that Phil Williams is a great interviewer. He does a rare thing - he listens to the answers that he gets. I'm looking forward to a bit more intelligence on the late evening show - although I did enjoy Tony most of the time.

As for Dotun deserving a promotion, he has had his own show for many years, and had all the ideas in the first few weeks. He has been stuck on repeat every week since then. He does not listen, but he does repeatedly like to tell you about famous people he has met, or how good his wife is at performing. You can even hear how bored he is sometimes when he runs through the show and station ID stuff in record time.
    I think the weekend version of 'Up All Night' is overdue an overhaul. I'm not saying that Dotun should be replaced but the programme sounds tired and repetitive. Plus, as I've posted before, I'm not a fan of features that run for an hour or more as they soon begin to sound jaded. I have a similar problem with the Dr Karl segment of Rhod's UAN show. It's been on for years and just seems to go nowhere these days.

Back to Dotun - perhaps he should have a holiday, you are right that there are times when he sounds bored and perhaps a break from the show for a couple of week smight do him the world of good. However by his own admittance he doesn't like to take time off so this is never going to happen.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    I think the weekend version of 'Up All Night' is overdue an overhaul. I'm not saying that Dotun should be replaced but the programme sounds tired and repetitive. Plus, as I've posted before, I'm not a fan of features that run for an hour or more as they soon begin to sound jaded. I have a similar problem with the Dr Karl segment of Rhod's UAN show. It's been on for years and just seems to go nowhere these days.

Back to Dotun - perhaps he should have a holiday, you are right that there are times when he sounds bored and perhaps a break from the show for a couple of week smight do him the world of good. However by his own admittance he doesn't like to take time off so this is never going to happen.

I jumped up last night when he said after 12 years this was his last time. Damn though, it was just USA Today's Bill Nicholson retiring which sent Dotun into such a soppy over-indulgence beyond belief. Rhod was more measured tonight mentioning his final USA Today input tomorrow night. If Dotun is bored, or sounds it (which he should) then fire him. He not only sounds bored but even worse...damned right lazy nowadays, knowing his cushy & seemingly unsackable BBC number he holds down. Friendly & affable he may be, but look beyond that and he's not that good at all.

I've heard Giles Dilnot again tonight, filling before 1am. He's done UAN before and was a breath of fresh air. Time he pushed Dotun aside, at least a couple of nights, if not the lot.

Robbie, try listening to Dr Karl's broadcasts down under on Triple J. They are podcasted for free (via iTunes I get mine) and they are so much more enjoyable and fun than on Radio 5 at 3am. I think he does our Radio 5 one as soon as he finishes his Triple J one at mid-day in Sydney. The questions are more fun. I learnt what a "travel fat" was last week! Us Brits are so much more stilted in comparison to our Aussie counterparts about what we ask Dr Karl. :)
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are so very right here. I gave him a listen last night with a DIY chap as a guest. He was so bored, and rushing, that he read out the station phone number a couple of times so fast that it was un-intelligible and even more amusing/worse than that was he never even finished the whole phone number off! Idiotic.:(
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I jumped up last night when he said after 12 years this was his last time. Damn though, it was just USA Today's Bill Nicholson retiring which sent Dotun into such a soppy over-indulgence beyond belief.

That is one of his worst traits. They did a minutes applause, I think for Gary Speed, on the World Football Phone In, and it sounded so out-of-place and frankly ridiculous on air.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Tony Livesey up until about six months ago, I'm not sure what happened, but I just turned off. (much preferred local radio instead). I think the death knell for me was Bump Club. I still enjoyed the sports quiz on a Wednesday though.

I do still like UAN and prefer Dotun to Rhod. I agree he does sound bored sometimes, but I enjoy things like the virtual jukebox and the world football phone in.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    I think the weekend version of 'Up All Night' is overdue an overhaul. I'm not saying that Dotun should be replaced but the programme sounds tired and repetitive.
    He definitely should be replaced. He's one of the worst, inept broadcasters I've heard on UAN. He has a hugely inflated ego, shows his ignorance on so many occasions and is as cheesy as they come. He even makes Richard Bacon sound profound. There are just so many better presenters around such as Andy Crane, who's covered for Rhod,or Mark Griffths who I now learn is 'exiled' in Beijing. But of course the Beeb will never axe Dotun as sure as night follows day.
    Back to Dotun - perhaps he should have a holiday
    Yes. A permanent one from 5 Live would be nice. I live in hope.
  • guiserguiser Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree 100%.
    I quite like some of the UAN features but I rarely listen because they're ruined by Dotun's showing off.

I've very much enjoyed Andy Crane's shows, but for me, no one compares to Rhod, whose voice must have been genetically engineered for nighttime radio.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,293
    Forum Member
    I bet 5live are glad the speculation about Sir Alex Ferguson was going proved to be right!

Would have looked silly if it wasn't
  • ukebraukebra Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    You are so very right here. I gave him a listen last night with a DIY chap as a guest. He was so bored, and rushing, that he read out the station phone number a couple of times so fast that it was un-intelligible and even more amusing/worse than that was he never even finished the whole phone number off! Idiotic.:(

Did anyone hear him refer to a "kayling" fan some weeks ago? The DIY guy coughed embarrassedly and said "um - that'd be a 'ceiling' fan..."
  • James_taylor1James_taylor1 Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    i think 5live needs to be revamped and agree on what people say on here but they focus too much on US news and not enough on global news by the way the malaysian election were going on however not a single piece on 5live was covered but others like bbc world covers it

the daytime output needs to be revamped like have 5live breakfast replaced as burden sounds like she doesnt like being there her voice is so grainy

also campbell is too much and not enough light heartedness

vic derbyshire is too depressing and sometimes worse when she is in london and not enough being in salford

forgarty is alright at times but can be depressing to listen to

I would remove bacon as he focues too much on america as the guy loves the country so why doesnt he move there

Drive - Allen is too old and should retire and replaced

the 10:30pm slot is the best as it light hearted and a bit more fun the rest

like nolan on weekends should be dedicated to more fun and more light hearted debate or have a more light hearted tone rather than having a depressing tone on a weekend nights

sunday evenings are okay as well
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do still like UAN and prefer Dotun to Rhod. I agree he does sound bored sometimes, but I enjoy things like the virtual jukebox and the world football phone in.

Me too

I like Dotun's SOH which gels well with his specialities like the WF Phone in and Jukebox .Plus there's the Gabby Cabby!
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God help me....tonight on 5live....

what are your memories of Alex Ferguson....a 3 & 1/2 hour show....top story on BBC news as well....

3&1/2 hours of waffle & drivel as a pensioner retires from his very well paid job....

i heard that clown alastair campbell talking dross....(still dont know why after what he did to bbc why they keep paying him to appear on shows(thought they wouldnt touch him with a barge pole....bizarre behaviour....

And that dopey fan on drive....its like someone's died.....no it really isn't....it really isn't :(

...if you're weeping over a manager retiring you really need to get a grip on reality.....& 5live....give it a rest....
    I guess VD will somehow sort her childcare to be in Manchester tomorrow now...probably camped outside the ground... :P

now of course 2 days of speculation on who is next for the job......spare me please....definitely off to see iron man tonight & avoid it I think.... :D
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    I bet 5live are glad the speculation about Sir Alex Ferguson was going proved to be right!

Would have looked silly if it wasn't

Five Live weren't the only people speculating about it.
    Forum Member
    lordloz wrote: »
    God help me....tonight on 5live....

what are your memories of Alex Ferguson....a 3 & 1/2 hour show....top story on BBC news as well....

3&1/2 hours of waffle & drivel as a pensioner retires from his very well paid job....

i heard that clown alastair campbell talking dross....(still dont know why after what he did to bbc why they keep paying him to appear on shows(thought they wouldnt touch him with a barge pole....bizarre behaviour....

And that dopey fan on drive....its like someone's died.....no it really isn't....it really isn't :(

...if you're weeping over a manager retiring you really need to get a grip on reality.....& 5live....give it a rest....
    I guess VD will somehow sort her childcare to be in Manchester tomorrow now...probably camped outside the ground... :P

now of course 2 days of speculation on who is next for the job......spare me please....definitely off to see iron man tonight & avoid it I think.... :D

Sports network covers one of the biggest events in sport in years shocker...

Apart from trawling through the Queens Speech, what else was around today? Horrific story of the woman jailed for torching her neighbours - shocking enough but hardly phone in material. And frankly, not a lot else.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sports network covers one of the biggest events in sport in years shocker...

Apart from trawling through the Queens Speech, what else was around today? Horrific story of the woman jailed for torching her neighbours - shocking enough but hardly phone in material. And frankly, not a lot else.
    How about some mention or coverage of the trial of Stuart Hazell who was headline news for days last August when the body of his partner's grand-daughter was discovered in his loft of which he denies all knowledge?. How about some coverage over Stephen Hawking's snub of an international Israeli conference? How abiut the fact that Prince Charles accompanied the Queen at Westminster during the Queen's Speech today which is unusual? There are loads of interesting stories around, instead of which as is the case with 5 Live, it's s gradually becoming a football station with a bit of current affairs thrown in for good measure.
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    How about some mention or coverage of the trial of Stuart Hazell who was headline news for days last August when the body of his partner's grand-daughter was found in his loft of which he denies all knowledge?. How about some coverage over Stephen Hawking's snub of an international Israeli conference? There are loads of interesting stories around, instead of which as is the case with 5 Live, it's s gradually becoming a football station with a bit of current affairs thrown in for good measure.

It is a news and sports network. The big sports story today was Fergie. End of. A couple of weeks ago the focus was on Thatcher's funeral. Surely the role of a breaking news network should be to focus on the landmark stories of the day?

The Hazell trial will continue - for some weeks yet. The detail will be covered. And as much as I'm personally interested in the Mid East, if I want the story of an academic boycotting an academic conference I'd go to Radio 4.
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Me too

I like Dotun's SOH which gels well with his specialities like the WF Phone in and Jukebox .Plus there's the Gabby Cabby!

Not sure when you last listened to UAN but the Gabby Cabby hasn't been on for at least 12 months. He's been replaced, I suspect at Dotun's request by a New York no-entity named Mark Riley?, Most of the time is spent in leg pulling between him & Dotun re the differences in American English and true English. I think the Gabby Cabby was too sharp for Dotun.

I believe that Dotun is the worst presenter on 5 live, even worse than Bacon. To be fair, he has a new feature on Thursdays with a Gadget Expert, which is quite good. It would be even better if Dotun would keep his mouth shut.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure when you last listened to UAN but the Gabby Cabby hasn't been on for at least 12 months. He's been replaced, I suspect at Dotun's request by a New York no-entity named Mark Riley?, Most of the time is spent in leg pulling between him & Dotun re the differences in American English and true English. I think the Gabby Cabby was too sharp for Dotun.
    Unless he's made a guest appearance in the meantime, Peter Franklin (the Gabby Cabby) hasn't been on Up All Night since the end of 2010 or the very beginning of 2011 which is when he suddenly vanished without warning from being a regular on the "New York Hour" Sunday morning slot.

A couple of years ago a poster from Digital Spy contacted Peter Franklin to find out why he was no longer on air, Peter said he was told he was no longer needed:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=49377094&postcount=551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about some mention or coverage of the trial of Stuart Hazell who was headline news for days last August when the body of his partner's grand-daughter was discovered in his loft of which he denies all knowledge?. How about some coverage over Stephen Hawking's snub of an international Israeli conference? How abiut the fact that Prince Charles accompanied the Queen at Westminster during the Queen's Speech today which is unusual? There are loads of interesting stories around, instead of which as is the case with 5 Live, it's s gradually becoming a football station with a bit of current affairs thrown in for good measure.

Frank couldn't agree more...

And rather than attacking my post itself you commented on content unlike his usual tired now standard issue retort of his...".news station in news story shocker" to any criticism....though apparently its now a sports station in sports news shocker...

if they read it properly I'm writing tongue in cheek slightly & poking fun but drivel it most certainly is...

& a report on it is fine I pointed out 3 & a half hours of it?!! ...talking heads everywhere & repetitive droning on....

3 & a half hours on syria/amanda berry/new acts of parliament analysis..ok.....
    or how about a movie tribute show to ray harryhausen RIP....a man who totally influenced modern blockbuster cinema & influenced Spielberg/Lucas etc....

not on an arrogant oap retires from a tediously overhyped sport..

.& I believe he refused to interview for BBC now they gush lyrically about him same as idiot co warmonger Campbell...

...a football station with some news indeed....so much for featuring other sports post olympics.....they rarely get a look in...
  • evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I jumped up last night when he said after 12 years this was his last time. Damn though, it was just USA Today's Bill Nicholson retiring which sent Dotun into such a soppy over-indulgence beyond belief. Rhod was more measured tonight mentioning his final USA Today input tomorrow night. If Dotun is bored, or sounds it (which he should) then fire him. He not only sounds bored but even worse...damned right lazy nowadays, knowing his cushy & seemingly unsackable BBC number he holds down. Friendly & affable he may be, but look beyond that and he's not that good at all.

I've heard Giles Dilnot again tonight, filling before 1am. He's done UAN before and was a breath of fresh air. Time he pushed Dotun aside, at least a couple of nights, if not the lot.

Robbie, try listening to Dr Karl's broadcasts down under on Triple J. They are podcasted for free (via iTunes I get mine) and they are so much more enjoyable and fun than on Radio 5 at 3am. I think he does our Radio 5 one as soon as he finishes his Triple J one at mid-day in Sydney. The questions are more fun. I learnt what a "travel fat" was last week! Us Brits are so much more stilted in comparison to our Aussie counterparts about what we ask Dr Karl. :)
    Ok Dotun needs a rest and that's why my suggestion was for him to replace Steve Livesey, less hours, more lively, better support as he seems to me to be great when accompanied. The New York spot needs to become a phone in and Gabby Cabby Needs to come back on occassion,.Dr Karl's one of the best guests on Rod's programmes. Happy to know Phil's hosting 10 to 1 am, more mature.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is a brief summary of Iain Dale on LBC tonight instead.....

some on Alex Ferguson....some on immigration (in light of rules on landlords in speech) then stereotypes in the media.....hardly radio 4 earnest & dull but at least topical & varied for people who like talk radio but aren't obsessed or even remotely interested in football... :p
  • droopsnoutdroopsnout Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a news and sports network. The big sports story today was Fergie. End of.
    Oh, how I hate, loathe and detest "end of".

It signifies that for the poster the argument is over no matter what anyone else may say that could contribute to a reasoned discussion. It therefore demonstrates a closed mind.

But more than anything, it is downright rude.

End of.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    I did hear that 5 Live went a bit mad yesterday, but to be honest given sport is a huge part of its remit and given arguably the most successful British football manager in history has just retired, and that it's all most of its listeners would have been talking about, I reckon it was justified.

As for Alistair Campbell - that's because the BBC's stupidly professional and doesn't allow stuff like that to affect its editorial policy. Which is something to be admired, as much as if I ran the BBC I wouldn't have him on ever again.

LBC is hardly comparable, it's a local London station. That would be a bit odd if it was to clear the schedules to talk about the manager of a Manchester club, despite the amount of people from London who support it for some reason.
    Forum Member
    lordloz wrote: »
    Frank couldn't agree more...

And rather than attacking my post itself you commented on content unlike his usual tired now standard issue retort of his...".news station in news story shocker" to any criticism....though apparently its now a sports station in sports news shocker...

if they read it properly I'm writing tongue in cheek slightly & poking fun but drivel it most certainly is...

& a report on it is fine I pointed out 3 & a half hours of it?!! ...talking heads everywhere & repetitive droning on....

3 & a half hours on syria/amanda berry/new acts of parliament analysis..ok.....
    or how about a movie tribute show to ray harryhausen RIP....a man who totally influenced modern blockbuster cinema & influenced Spielberg/Lucas etc....

not on an arrogant oap retires from a tediously overhyped sport..

.& I believe he refused to interview for BBC now they gush lyrically about him same as idiot co warmonger Campbell...

...a football station with some news indeed....so much for featuring other sports post olympics.....they rarely get a look in...

Oz, will you please get over this tiresome old line that anyone who dares to disagree with you is somehow "attacking" your viewpoint. I was offering some constructive comment on why Five Live goes so big on the big stories of the day - be it Thatcher or Fergie.

A news and sports network should clearly reflect the big story of the day - Fergie's retirement is a once in a generation event. Few football managers of our era have served a single club for so long.

Seriously, the Stuart Hazell trial coverage is limited entirely by what is said in court. You can't discuss an active case. The other suggestion - of more coverage of an academic boycott by Stephen Hawking - is also clearly not top of the pile for Five Live's style.

As I've said several times, Five Live is a populist station and, yes, chases the populist audience. Radio 4 serves the more highbrow audience or those who want in depth, broad ranging news stories.
This discussion has been closed.