The Ratings Thread (Part 54)

Comments

• cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite. Its now becoming quite clear that a selection of members in this topic do not want to see EE back on its feet and are going out of their way to discredit any attempts the BBC are making to fix the show.

EE will be back. I'm sure of it. Might take a while but it will be.

Don't put me in there with that lot. I want EastEnders to return to former glory.
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    More a case that she would be too busy to return as she's doing her own projects now. I would say the same thing if Tony Jordan's name was mentioned. Doesn'mean she won't.

I know one writer that was approached but had to say no due to work commitments on their own projects.

True, apologies.

Sarah Phelps, Tony Jordan and Tony McHale would be quite an impressive list! But you're almost certainly right..
  • Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    What the hell are Sky1 doing with Revolution showing it at 10pm on a Sunday night?

The last series was broadcast on Friday nights at 9pm and despite how it has performed in American - it held up remarkably well over here. Season 1 averaged an impressive 1.06m (inc +1: 1.18m).

The first episode of Season 2 averaged 685k (inc +1: 781k). No episode last season ever went that low. The change of day has certainly done it no favours at all. Despite what many think of the show, I really like it - and the first 2 episodes of the new series have been really good IMO.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    EE is still basically crap no matter what the hardcore fans or hopefuls say. I have yet to see real improvement. When something's really bad people tend to cling onto things when they're ever so slightly better.
    Could make the same argument about Corrie the last few weeks, and it'll probably be laid bare once Hayley dies. Just the standard writing and funny lines have kept them going until now.

I can't say I have seen real improvement in Eastenders because I'm not a regular viewer anymore. But these things go in circles. What I can say with certain is EE will not turn a corner, not unless people lower their expectations of it for a start.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    True, apologies.

Sarah Phelps, Tony Jordan and Tony McHale would be quite an impressive list! But you're almost certainly right..

If they returned I'd punch the air. There already seems to be a buzz around the show now with the changes. The cast sound enthused and I think that is very telling. It's like they were jaded under Newman with bad press about quality of storylines and ratings. They're no fools and knew what they were being given wasn't great.

EastEnders will get it's swagger back in time.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the hell are Sky1 doing with Revolution showing it at 10pm on a Sunday night?

The last series was broadcast on Friday nights at 9pm and despite how it has performed in American - it held up remarkably well over here. Season 1 averaged an impressive 1.06m (inc +1: 1.18m).

The first episode of Season 2 averaged 685k (inc +1: 781k). No episode last season ever went that low. The change of day has certainly done it no favours at all. Despite what many think of the show, I really like it - and the first 2 episodes of the new series have been really good IMO.

Perhaps having a primetime 9pm repeat on Tuesdays will bolster the overall figure?
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Last Tango In Halifax is BACK on Tuesday 19th November at 9pm, up against Itv's coverage of England v Germany.

Itv are airing another Sunday episode of Coro St on 17th November, the same night Im a Celebrity returns. The BBC are going to air a new 4-epsode David Dimbleby factual show Britain and the Sea up against IAC launch.
    Guess as is often the case with series at the end of the year Last Tango in Halifax will probably be moved for the final episode - can't see it airing Christmas Eve.

Be interesting how Britain and the Sea does - sounds like a duller version of Coast.
    No Eastenders is officially Britain's Second Most Watched Soap. Look at all the consolidated ratings on www.BARB.co.uk , this will confirm that besides Emmerdale's Big Week, Eastenders wins in the averages nearly all of the time. Eastenders viewers are young, mobile people who like to record the episodes and watch them at a more convenient date and time - therefore once you take timeshift into account, which is much better for EE than Emmerdale, EE is ahead of the Farm most days of the week.
    Funny how you take absolutely every possible way somebody might watch EastEnders into account, but instantly dismiss anyone watching ITV+1 when it comes to comparing ratings.

It's not just about ratings too - Emmerdale has the bigger profile at the moment and is just more talked about, and crucially talked about positively.
  • dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So EE beats Emmerdale by 30k for it's big episode. I'd hardly call that much of a result. It might be it's biggest Friday rating since June, but looking at the numbers since then that doesn't say much at all really.

Interestingly, last month EE averaged 6.5m which was 0.2m down on September's figures. A very odd trend indeed. Ratings usually go up at this time of year. Here's how its compared to Emmerdale over the last two months (overnight ratings):

Emmerdale:
    September: 6.6m
    October: 7.0m

EastEnders:
    September: 6.7m
    October: 6.5m

As for Corrie last night, surprised there was no drop off between the two episdoes considering its been quite poor for a good week now.

It is very unusual to see a soap's monthly average drop between September and October. Even with the Emmerdale clash excluded Eastenders still dropped between the 2 months.

Going on previous years' monthly averages, if Eastenders stays at its current levels it should get overnights of about 8.7m-9.0m on Christmas Day (assuming against Downton Abbey again). It would then be capable of about 5 to 8 days (not consecutive, mostly Mondays) with ratings above 8million in January before it starts sinking back down again for the seasonal drop.

Of course we don't know whether ratings will increase due to an improvement in the show, so the above is just a prediction based on current ratings. This time of year though, important to distinguish between a show improvement increase, and a seasonal increase due to the total TV audience increasing. The shares should help in this regard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could make the same argument about Corrie the last few weeks, and it'll probably be laid bare once Hayley dies. Just the standard writing and funny lines have kept them going until now.

I can't say I have seen real improvement in Eastenders because I'm not a regular viewer anymore. But these things go in circles. What I can say with certain is EE will not turn a corner, not unless people lower their expectations of it for a start.

Corrie has viewer loyalty at the moment. They've had a run of good stories so will be forgiven for a dud episode here and there. If the duds outnumber good episodes then it will be a problem.

EastEnders can turn a corner as long as the writing stays good. That will get the good word of mouth going and more importantly the goodwill with the public.
  • dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know how they compare to September and October in 2012? Also what did Coro average those months (overnights excluding +1)? :)

Just to add

EE - October overnights monthly
    2013 - 6.50m (29.8%)
    2012 - 7.48m (33.5%)
    2011 - 8.15m (35.3%)
    2010 - 8.74m (37.7%)
    2009 - 8.57m (38.4%)
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Soaps go up and down. CS is on a roll at the moment, but should it return to slow storylines it will drop to around 7.5 million. EE is in a bit of a slump, but this one seems to be longer than usual and seeing an episode a few weeks ago with some annoying teen actors I can see why.
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Perhaps having a primetime 9pm repeat on Tuesdays will bolster the overall figure?

Perhaps. But it does seem an odd slot for it. Not sure why they'd mess with a winning formula. If it's not broke, don't fix it. Will be interesting to see how it holds up over its run. Maybe with the axe looming for the show - Sky1 aren't that bothered.
    Forum Member
    dave01 wrote: »

Going on previous years' monthly averages, if Eastenders stays at its current levels it should get overnights of about 8.7m-9.0m on Christmas Day (assuming against Downton Abbey again). It would then be capable of about 5 to 8 days (not consecutive, mostly Mondays) with ratings above 8million in January before it starts sinking back down again for the seasonal drop.

If its gets around 8.7m-9.0m on Xmas Day - then I think that would be very close to what Corrie will get it. Can Corrie claim victory over EE this year? To be honest though, I'm not really bothered either way. I find it quite bizarre how much people care about Xmas Day ratings? It's one day and if EE does win - it does not mean anything in the grand scheme of things when you look at how it's performed throughout 2013.

Christmas Day ratings are increasingly irrelevant. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps. But it does seem an odd slot for it. Not sure why they'd mess with a winning formula. If it's not broke, don't fix it. Will be interesting to see how it holds up over its run. Maybe with the axe looming for the show - Sky1 aren't that bothered.

I assume The Blacklist on Living is getting is higher overnights than Revolution did in the Friday at 9pm slot on Sky One?

One big hitter at 9pm on one of the three channels seems to be the plan across the week. Boardwalk, Moaning, Strike Back, Elementary, The Tunnel, Dracula and Blacklist.
  • qwerty21qwerty21 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    I assume The Blacklist on Living is getting is higher overnights than Revolution did in the Friday at 9pm slot on Sky One?

One big hitter at 9pm on one of the three channels seems to be the plan across the week. Boardwalk, Moaning, Strike Back, Elementary, The Tunnel, Dracula and Blacklist.

I think that's the strategy and explains why they moved Elementary, I think they should have just held back Revolution and given it an uninterrupted run. Breaks in serial dramas tend to be more irritating than procedurals.
    Forum Member

Not sure what overnights its getting - but these are the officials ratings for The Blacklist for the first 3 episodes:

Episode 1: 950k (inc +1: 1.10m)
    Episode 2: 1.09m (1.25m)
    Episode 3: 1.03m (1.18m)

Those are very good figures for the show. Not seen it - but heard good things about it.

NOTE: all the Revolution figures I quoted were official ratings. So maybe Sky1 didn't want it going head-to-head with The Blacklist on Sky Living.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Still poor ratings for EastEnders. I miss watching it and I was going to watch this week's episodes but I totally forgot. It's funny how not watching for months has made me love and watch other programmes, so when I do start watching EE again (around Xmas), I'll probably watch it on catch-up. Is this EE's worst ever year for stories and ratings? I think so.

November 17th will be a huge night for ITV, with 3 of their Top 5 biggest shows back-to-back.

Corrie (The #1 soap) - 7pm.
    X Factor (The #1 singing competition) - 8pm.
    I'm A Celebrity (The #1 reality show) (Launch) - 9pm.

The brackets aren't ''spin'', just facts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what overnights its getting - but these are the officials ratings for The Blacklist for the first 3 episodes:

Episode 1: 950k (inc +1: 1.10m)
    Episode 2: 1.09m (1.25m)
    Episode 3: 1.03m (1.18m)

Those are very good figures for the show. Not seen it - but heard good things about it.

572k for the first (a Sky Living record). First episode was available on On Demand before transmission (which BARB don't count) which appears to explain the increase of episodes two and three.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bds.tv/broadcasters/bbcTvInternal.shtml

We'll know the initial Christmas Day schedules three weeks on Tuesday!
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 3rd November 2012:

Strictly Come Dancing - 9.96m
    The X Factor - 7.96m

X FACTOR	STRICTLY
    7.0	-12.1%	9.4	-5.6%
    7.1	-10.8%	9.5	-4.6%
    7.2	-9.5%	9.6	-3.6%
    7.3	-8.3%	9.7	-2.6%
    7.4	-7.0%	9.8	-1.6%
    7.5	-5.8%	[B]9.9	-0.6%[/B]
    7.6	-4.5%	[B]10.0	0.4%[/B]
    7.7	-3.3%	[B]10.1	1.4%[/B]
    7.8	-2.0%	10.2	2.4%
    [B]7.9	-0.8%[/B]	10.3	3.4%
    [B]8.0	0.5%[/B]	10.4	4.4%
    [B]8.1	1.8%[/B]	10.5	5.4%
    8.2	3.0%	10.6	6.4%
    8.3	4.3%	10.7	7.4%

• BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Corrie has viewer loyalty at the moment. They've had a run of good stories so will be forgiven for a dud episode here and there. If the duds outnumber good episodes then it will be a problem.

EastEnders can turn a corner as long as the writing stays good. That will get the good word of mouth going and more importantly the goodwill with the public.
    That is probably DTC's first aim. Get a buzz going about EE, which he has TBF done signing up Danny Dyer and bringing in essentially a new family.

I'm worried about Corrie at the moment. I do think the Roy/Hayley storyline has been handled very well and the Platt drama has been quite good, but other than that, it's all over the place. With all the actors leaving in the new year, they really need to hit the ground running with decent storylines.

Can't say Tina having an affair with Peter will whet the appetite.
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Soaps go up and down. CS is on a roll at the moment, but should it return to slow storylines it will drop to around 7.5 million. EE is in a bit of a slump, but this one seems to be longer than usual and seeing an episode a few weeks ago with some annoying teen actors I can see why.
    EE's demise is just more well documented than Corrie's given the lack of continuity upstairs and on the set. One thing Corrie has done well is retain its core characters, hence you get viewer loyalty. With so many changes to EE, it's hard to feel any sort of apathy or emotion with whatever struggles that particular character is undergoing. Very short-termist attitude.

What's making me hate Corrie now is the sudden character personality changes, I suspect the result of having Stuart Blackburn in-charge. Anna Windass has gone from a likable, caring mum to a fishwife who has become nasty to neighbours, chooses to point score and only thinks about herself. Last Monday she was having a shout off with Sally in the cafe, it felt like I was watching Eastenders.
    Forum Member
    Just seen that Channel 5's airing 'Most Shocking Talent Show Moments' next Saturday at 9.35pm. X Factor's big band night finishes at 9.35pm. Good scheduling. Should rate well, even though it's a repeat.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    Saturday 3rd November 2012:

Strictly Come Dancing - 9.96m
    The X Factor - 7.96m

Suspect it'll be about the same tonight. Surprised Strictly have gone for a Halloween theme (again) considering that moment has well and truly past, while The X Factor have gone and bought in some old popstar nobody has ever heard of.
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Suspect it'll be about the same tonight. Surprised Strictly have gone for a Halloween theme (again) considering that moment has well and truly past, while The X Factor have gone and bought in some old popstar nobody has ever heard of.

I'm young and I know who Chic/Nile Rodgers is... because of his features on the biggest song of the year.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    http://www.bds.tv/broadcasters/bbcTvInternal.shtml

We'll know the initial Christmas Day schedules three weeks on Tuesday!

Then we get all those TV supplements in the tabloids with endless columns of ''TBA''
This discussion has been closed.