Season 17: general discussion

Comments

• kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    memmh wrote: »
    I agree with you about Jack, Lili, I'd like to see him win, too. However, I don't think that's going to happen. I think Corbin and Amber are the more realistic potential winners, with Amber (& Derek's) fanbase giving them the edge.

As for this season's new pros:

Emma did a fantastic job with Bill E and I'll be very surprised if she's not back next season. I wonder if she might even be given a contender, as now that we've seen what she can do with a non-dancer, I'd like to see what she can do with a dancer.

I also liked Tyne's relationship with Bill N and I think she was doing a good job with him as well, until his injury. I don't know how long he'd have stayed around without that but they had a good partnership and that's the first step. (I thought they had better chemistry than Elizabeth and Val.) Again, I hope she'll be back as a competing pro next season, rather then dance troupe.

I also like Sharna but she made less impact on me as a competing pro than Emma and Tyne did. Despite that, I hope she gets another chance next season so that we can get to know her a bit better as a pro.

Sharna was on last years show with Andy Dick and deserve to have a contender next season but when does that ever happen with dwts?? Sasha was the other new pro

Congrats to Amber & Derek would have preferred Corbin & Karina to win. Loved Jack & Cheryl's freestyle
  • Lili27Lili27 Posts: 2,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Afterbuzz interviews

I cannot find Jack and Corbin but they might be up later?

Amber and Derek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX4gW4zoU2k&feature=youtu.be&utm_content=buffer2a1f8&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

Eliizabeth and Val

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCYoGBM9qEw&feature=youtu.be

Bill and Emma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQPuqS82fBs&feature=youtu.be

I love that Emma is teaching Bill and his daughter how to dance the slow foxtrot for her wedding. Sniff, sniff. Bill posted the pic on his twitter of them in AT practice and it says everything. In another interview Bill said he was happy he went home because would not be right for him to stay when 3 others were more talented than him.

The final 3 on GMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibv7DfbX_lA
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will try to find some interviews of Corbin and Jack. They have to be out there.

I had the thought that if Emma had gone to SCD as originally planned she might have been paired with Patrick. I wonder how that would have turned out? He is a much better dancer than Bill but I never got the impression she was disappointed in Bill despite his dance ability. I don't think she could have better chemistry with anyone else and I hope she found her first season of dwts a great experience. Surely they have to bring her back.

I know they love Derek and all but I think that if would bring back Tristan, Gleb and bring on Henry give them contenders and maybe another female troup member, sharna and Emma. I it could be a fascinating season and a change of pace. Breathe some new life into it.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Damahepa wrote: »
    In all fairness, when the cast was announced the general consensus was, with the exception of Valerie, Derek had the shortest straw with getting Amber! I mean, Elizabeth, Nicole, Christina, Leah, were all touted as having more innate talent, larger fan bases, then there was Amber's size etc. Derek really just did the best he could, and accentuated Amber's strengths at all times- her personality and her rhythm, and that's what got them to the final and won it for them!

No producer bias whatsoever this season for me- I even think if Derek had been given Valerie, the outwave of support for her might have carried her on top of Derek's fan base a lot further (She could have been this season's Bill E with Derek!) so I don't think it's possible for Derek to have won the "not with the ringah" title this series whoever he'd got!

No, I knew Amber would be good. I did think she would struggle with certain dances because of her size, which evidently was the case. Amber's Jive and Charlestons were very overmarked - she reminded me of a better version of Lisa Riley.

DWTS has become unwatchable because the blatant manipulation and nonsense. At least they're a bit more subtle about it on Strictly. Someone on another forum said the show should be renamed Derek Wins The Show - sounds right.
  • Christian CageChristian Cage Posts: 6,239
    Forum Member
    j4Rose wrote: »
    No, I knew Amber would be good. I did think she would struggle with certain dances because of her size, which evidently was the case.

DWTS has become unwatchable because the blatant manipulation and nonsense. At least they're a bit more subtle about it on Strictly. Someone on another forum said the show should be renamed Derek Wins The Show - sounds right.
    At least on strictly they manipulate the scores for the celeb, not the pro.
    Forum Member
    At least on strictly they manipulate the scores for the celeb, not the pro.

That's true. All of the immunities and everything get a bit sickening. Derek has won every group dance and on and on. I don't think we would put up with that here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A heads up for the Tristan fans. He will be on the Afterbuzz after show.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dizzie wrote: »
    In any case, Amber was a great competitor, had a stellar attitude to it all - no tears or tantrums ever, and she never argued with her pro, the way some of the others appeared to clash from time to time. She was carrying a fairly severe injury to her knees, but still turned out fantastic performances.
    Apart from anything, she's a plus sized POC, and has won the whole damn thing! That's something to shout from the rooftops - that she doesn't just 'dance well for her size' but that she can dance REALLY BRILLIANTLY! She's always been a strong role model for young girls, now she's got a glitterball to reward her for her hard work!

Well said Dizzie, couldn't agree more, especially as Amber not only isn't known for her dance abilities on Glee but has had her character Mercedes specifically singled out for being rubbish and not practising :D

While I would have loved it if Jack won, I don't think that was ever going to be on the cards on sheer dance ability. I have loved watching him dance though and I think Cheryl's done an incredible job with him.
    Corbin I never really got, he was lovely and charming and great at the freestyle, jazz and some latin but I found his ballroom was always a bit too loose and his dance experience was fairly extensive. Having said that, if he had won I wouldn't have been upset either, he would have been a worthy winner as well.
    No, I knew Amber would be good. I did think she would struggle with certain dances because of her size, which evidently was the case. Amber's Jive and Charlestons were very overmarked - she reminded me of a better version of Lisa Riley.

Couldn't disagree more, Amber's Charleston deserved all the marks she got, her Jive wasn't as good though and could have probably been a point or two lower. However, for a larger lady, she completely got the sharpness in the kicks and flicks in the Jive and her swivels in the Charleston were also spot on, as were the "jelly legs" also associated with the dance.
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Well said Dizzie, couldn't agree more, especially as Amber not only isn't known for her dance abilities on Glee but has had her character Mercedes specifically singled out for being rubbish and not practising :D

While I would have loved it if Jack won, I don't think that was ever going to be on the cards on sheer dance ability. I have loved watching him dance though and I think Cheryl's done an incredible job with him.
    Corbin I never really got, he was lovely and charming and great at the freestyle, jazz and some latin but I found his ballroom was always a bit too loose and his dance experience was fairly extensive. Having said that, if he had won I wouldn't have been upset either, he would have been a worthy winner as well.

Couldn't disagree more, Amber's Charleston deserved all the marks she got, her Jive wasn't as good though and could have probably been a point or two lower. However, for a larger lady, she completely got the sharpness in the kicks and flicks in the Jive and her swivels in the Charleston were also spot on, as were the "jelly legs" also associated with the dance.

Like Lisa, Amber couldn't really move her ankles. Her routines were full of Hip Hop nonsense which reminded me of Lisa's jazz hands.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like Lisa, Amber couldn't really move her ankles. Her routines were full of Hip Hop nonsense which reminded me of Lisa's jazz hands.

Then we'll agree to disagree.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some said they couldn't see the mistakes the judges said Corbin made in his Cha Cha footwork in the fusion dance.

That is far from unusual. I can't count the times the judges have said that, say, Jason Taylor stumbled twice in his Viennese Waltz (but two of them still gave him 10s), or that so-and-so messed up in that corner but I saw no trace of it in the video.

Either the camera angles just never happened to capture those goofs, or a producer took advantage of the 10-second (or so) time delay--that lets them bleep out objectionable words or sights--to switch to another camera view of the 8 or however many cameras they have recording each dance.

Either way, they subsequently were able to show footage of Joanna Krupa getting her heel caught in the cuff of Maks' pants, or Bill Nye catching his foot in his own pants cuff and going down. They probably also had footage of Jason Taylor's two stumbles and whatever difficulty Corbin had with his Cha Cha footwork.

Just because the viewer at home didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen and doesn't mean the judges were just inventing excuses to mark somebody down. The judges did say they were going to be less forgiving in the Finale.

Earlier in the season Len marked Amber down 2 points just because Derek repeated a sequence he'd included just to please Len.

btw after several people tweeted Val, 'wow you can't say congrats to Amber and Derek,' Val finally tweeted them the next morning with only one word: #welldeserved.
  • CarolenCarolen Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    memmh wrote: »
    I didn't warm to Amber particularly (although I wonder if I might have liked her more had she been paired with a different pro or if I hadn't felt that she was overmarked at times) but between her fanbase and Derek's, I fully expected her to win. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, because she's a very good dancer and worked hard and therefore deserved the win, but I would still have preferred Corbin and Jack to be in first and second place. However, that's my personal preference and there's really nothing to complain of in Amber winning, the way I might have moaned a bit if Bill had won, no matter how much I liked him.
    Exactly my feelings too...
    Forum Member
    Some said they couldn't see the mistakes the judges said Corbin made in his Cha Cha footwork in the fusion dance.

That is far from unusual. I can't count the times the judges have said that, say, Jason Taylor stumbled twice in his Viennese Waltz (but two of them still gave him 10s), or that so-and-so messed up in that corner but I saw no trace of it in the video.

Either the camera angles just never happened to capture those goofs, or a producer took advantage of the 10-second (or so) time delay--that lets them bleep out objectionable words or sights--to switch to another camera view of the 8 or however many cameras they have recording each dance.

Either way, they subsequently were able to show footage of Joanna Krupa getting her heel caught in the cuff of Maks' pants, or Bill Nye catching his foot in his own pants cuff and going down. They probably also had footage of Jason Taylor's two stumbles and whatever difficulty Corbin had with his Cha Cha footwork.

Just because the viewer at home didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen and doesn't mean the judges were just inventing excuses to mark somebody down. The judges did say they were going to be less forgiving in the Finale.

Earlier in the season Len marked Amber down 2 points just because Derek repeated a sequence he'd included just to please Len.

btw after several people tweeted Val, 'wow you can't say congrats to Amber and Derek,' Val finally tweeted them the next morning with only one word: #welldeserved.
    Derek fans are so bossy why are they telling Val to congratulate Derek anyway? Why are they so bothered about Val's opinion? Len never seems to be tough on Derek's partner in the finale because he wants Derek to win
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Derek fans are so bossy why are they telling Val to congratulate Derek anyway? Why are they so bothered about Val's opinion? Len never seems to be tough on Derek's partner in the finale because he wants Derek to win

I can't understand that as well and I'm not a groupie fan of either of them but one has to recognise that Derek's fans don't give Val a break, patrolling twitter like they don't have a life and need to act as Derek's bodyguard. Anyway, I might be wrong but don't see this level of fanaticism in Strictly Come Dancing supporters regarding certain pros. I reckon everybody has their favourites but sometimes it's just a bit too much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

'Always' and 'never' are two words that must be used with care because they are often easy to disprove.

Len's favorite was Elizabeth; he said so. Season 10 his favorite was Evan Lysacek--see Len's comments to Paparazzi Henry two weeks in a row.

He must have tried to be fair because he told Paparazzi Henry he was mystified that Erin, who he expected to go home, was tied with Nicole for first place, while Evan, who he expected to win, was in third place. Len gave the highest score the first night of the finals to Erin and Maks--his only 10 that night.

Len preferred Jason Taylor in Season 6. Two stumbles in the VW yet a perfect 10 from Len. Gilles Marini in Season 8. Len commented after Gilles' underwhelming freestyle, "I think this freestyle has proved, to me and I hope to everyone else, YOU are the real dancer."

In my opinion Len was unforgivably harsh toward Mya, Mario B, Ralph Macchio. But as Kellie Pickler said, everyone likes their coffee different. If he has an agenda he hides it well.
    Forum Member
    'Always' and 'never' are two words that must be used with care because they are often easy to disprove.

Len's favorite was Elizabeth; he said so./QUOTE] I don't care what Len said you only have to watch the show to see that the judges favourtie is Derek and will always be Derek until Derek leaves the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek fans are so bossy why are they telling Val to congratulate Derek anyway? Why are they so bothered about Val's opinion?

Val tweeted "Congrats @DancingABC for another incredible season..." and someone replied, 'wow you can't congratulate Amber and Derek.'

That's not a bossy fan but more like a WTF? Congratulate the show? Which is odd, if you think about it. Especially when Val was so playful with Amber all season long, even leaving Ellizabeth's side to go over and give Amber a love pat while she was being interviewed.
    I don't care what Len said you only have to watch the show to see that the judges favourite is Derek and will always be Derek until Derek leaves the show.

Or until Len does. Are we watching the same show? By the way he rants and rails against Derek at times, you'd think Len hated him. He did, however, call Derek a genius a year ago, saying he uses that word rarely but Derek is incredible the way such a young guy transforms music into movement.
  • TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek is just so dominant...you can give him even relatively poor dancers and he'll make it work. We need to get him in the UK version one year but difficult as it runs at the same time as DWTS!

Funny thing his sister is just as good! Wish she would come back I don't see her on the country scene much so I think she failed with the singing career lark.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek is just so dominant...you can give him even relatively poor dancers and he'll make it work. We need to get him in the UK version one year but difficult as it runs at the same time as DWTS!

Funny thing his sister is just as good! Wish she would come back I don't see her on the country scene much so I think she failed with the singing career lark.

A little hard to focus on her music while she's busy making movies--she's currently filming a thriller--but far from failing with her singing career she was voted Fan Favorite New Artist, got to sing in front of the First Lady in Washington D.C., was featured in a Target Christmas album, and you'll have to check elsewhere for the rest. I don't try to keep up with it all.
  • Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some Viewers also complaining about Len saying Amber was an old sausage. Really need to get a grip LOL :D
  • fabulistfabulist Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad that Amber won, she was the best performer and had the strongest Final. Found the two nights a little predictable however. You just knew the likely ranking and that Derek would pull it out the bag with the freestyle. You also knew Karina would desperately try to force the issue and fail. I found the middle "trick" unspectacular, awkward and weird. Pointless in fact. The gravity boot thing was also rather cheap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    Some Viewers also complaining about Len saying Amber was an old sausage. Really need to get a grip LOL :D

Not old sausage, he said my little sausage. Term of endearment, though she looked confused as she repeated it. Guess I'd be confused too, but hey, she won! I'm sure she's thrilled. :)

Amber has to be some kind of magician to rehearse tired and late at night for that 24-hour challenge and nail that so flawlessly! I'm still in awe of her.

Feel badly for Corbin, though. He and Karina both wanted it so badly and both really worked hard for it. And he's such a nice kid, super talented. I was going to give him some votes but woke up too late and the voting was already closed.
    Forum Member
    Val tweeted "Congrats @DancingABC for another incredible season..." and someone replied, 'wow you can't congratulate Amber and Derek.'

That's not a bossy fan but more like a WTF? Congratulate the show? Which is odd, if you think about it. Especially when Val was so playful with Amber all season long, even leaving Ellizabeth's side to go over and give Amber a love pat while she was being interviewed.

Or until Len does. Are we watching the same show? By the way he rants and rails against Derek at times, you'd think Len hated him. He did, however, call Derek a genius a year ago, saying he uses that word rarely but Derek is incredible the way such a young guy transforms music into movement.
    Derek fans constantly have little digs at the rest of the cast.

Len's rants are incredibly fake and are put on so that people think the show is not rigged for Derek. It's the same for his pre rehearsed comments.
  • fabulistfabulist Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ''rigged for derek'' lol. The show cares about ratings and money, nothing else. Thus they give him one of the best each year because he equals ratings (because hes consistently the best). When other pros start to develop a fanbase, they too are rewarded this way. This system is most obvious with him because he is the best and has never under performed.
    So stop pointing the finger at him and look at why certain pros get poor dancers. They have wasted good celebs.
    Forum Member
    fabulist wrote: »
    ''rigged for derek'' lol. The show cares about ratings and money, nothing else. Thus they give him one of the best each year because he equals ratings (because hes consistently the best). When other pros start to develop a fanbase, they too are rewarded this way. This system is most obvious with him because he is the best and has never under performed.
    So stop pointing the finger at him and look at why certain pros get poor dancers. They have wasted good celebs.
    If they care about ratings they are not doing a very good job because the finale got the lowest rating for the show. Derek has been given the best dancers with the big fan bases so obviously he is gonna do well with them. It also helps when you have the judges nit picking the other contestants and ignoring Derek's partners mistakes.