Real life mysteries that have intrigued and baffled you

Comments

• Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    KnifeEdge wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder what happened to Genette Tate.:(

Yeah, I remember the case and her clearly, I was about the same age as her. I know it's generally thought Robert Black was responsible, but to have never found her body in all this time :(
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I remember the case and her clearly, I was about the same age as her. I know it's generally thought Robert Black was responsible, but to have never found her body in all this time :(

And years before the Genette Tate case was the similar disappearance of April Fabb.
  • BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aliens, madelleine mccan, stonehenge, pyrimids, atlantis, mary celeste

theres so many interesting things
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a few, probably repeated loads on here :

Jon Benet Ramsey - read a book on it and the whole thing is fascinating. Feel sooo sorry for the parents and mother in particular if they had nothing to do with it, she died recently.

Maddie McCann - just strange how she can just disappear like that (however it happened).

Who killed 2Pac and Biggie - not a huge thing to many but I was really into the music as a teenager and the whole thing fascinated me.

Bermuda Triangle always fascinated me as a kid.

Where is Bin Laden!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh and the usual do ghosts/alien/corn rings (whatever they are called) exist..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NathalieR wrote: »
    I have a few, probably repeated loads on here :

Jon Benet Ramsey - read a book on it and the whole thing is fascinating. Feel sooo sorry for the parents and mother in particular if they had nothing to do with it, she died recently.

Maddie McCann - just strange how she can just disappear like that (however it happened).

Who killed 2Pac and Biggie - not a huge thing to many but I was really into the music as a teenager and the whole thing fascinated me.

Bermuda Triangle always fascinated me as a kid.

Where is Bin Laden!

Don't worry about repeating, it sometimes starts a whole new thing!

I too am still a little fascinated by the Jon Benet Ramsay case, and it is a shame re her mum. Especially as you say, if she was totally innocent.
    Oh and the usual do ghosts/alien/corn rings (whatever they are called) exist..

*Giggle* :D
  • jazzyjackjazzyjack Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a fascinating thread, I too am intrigued by many of the mysteries mentioned but I would also love to know about a story I saw on beyond belief - fact or fiction about a boy who was convinced there was a monster in his closet and his brother went into the closet and vanished leaving only his clothes behind :eek: Where did he go?? I was expecting it to be fiction but apparantly it's fact and that just creeps me out!

I am always puzzled by people who just seem to vanish, where do they go? Alien abduction? Stuck in a timeslip? It really does keep me awake some nights! :o

I would also like to know what Zippy is, Bungle's a bear, George is a hippo but what is Zippy?! :confused:

Oh and Lost too but hopefully that'll all be sorted out this season! :)

Lol, I think the only mystery about the stories on Fact or Fiction is what the producers mean by 'fact'! I think they mean 'we didn't make it up, someone else probably did we're just not mentioning that bit'.

Btw, I absolutely *love* fact or fiction too, although I often fall asleep before the end and never find out what's 'fact' and what's not :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Don't worry about repeating, it sometimes starts a whole new thing!

I too am still a little fascinated by the Jon Benet Ramsay case, and it is a shame re her mum. Especially as you say, if she was totally innocent.

*Giggle* :D

What are they called, crop circles? lol how i got corn rings from that is a mystery in itself!
  • Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    I get really annoyed at MISSING Persons...

WTF do they GO????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jazzyjack wrote: »
    Lol, I think the only mystery about the stories on Fact or Fiction is what the producers mean by 'fact'! I think they mean 'we didn't make it up, someone else probably did we're just not mentioning that bit'.

Btw, I absolutely *love* fact or fiction too, although I often fall asleep before the end and never find out what's 'fact' and what's not :D

I thought "Picnic at Hanging Rock" was a film based on a true story but it is in fact a work of fiction. I was going to post about how weird it all was. I feel a bit stupid now! :o
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think about Hillsborough a lot, don't think that counts as a mystery, but I wonder about the specific chain if events.

I'm still baffled as to what exactly made Ian 'NEVER! NEVER!' Paisley agree to power-share with Sinn Fein.:confused:
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jon8769 wrote: »
    I thought "Picnic at Hanging Rock" was a film based on a true story but it is in fact a work of fiction. I was going to post about how weird it all was. I feel a bit stupid now! :o
    Are you sure? I thought it was based on an incident in real life when a girl disappeared.
    :eek:Anyway the thought of it is still sending shivers down my spine!
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DGSx wrote: »
    Also, the actual existance of Sherlock Homes and Dr Watson.

I thought Amercan tourists were the only people to believe this!
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvia wrote: »
    I'm still baffled as to what exactly made Ian 'NEVER! NEVER!' Paisley agree to power-share with Sinn Fein.:confused:

I have always wondered why Ronan Keating sounds like Ian Paisley when he sings.:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure? I thought it was based on an incident in real life when a girl disappeared.

Nope, just checked and it was a novel written by Joan Lindsay in 1967.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picnic_at_Hanging_Rock

I really REALLY thought it was a true story. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are they called, crop circles? lol how i got corn rings from that is a mystery in itself!

Lol, I dont know but it gave me a laugh so thanks :)

I think corn rings (I am SO calling them that from now on!) are made by drunk people running around in fields in the early hours. :D

Yes, I thought it was a true story for SOOO long. The fact that it isnt makes it especially annoying that the ending is so rubbish!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nope not based on any real life event. See "The Mystery" in the Wiki entry.

Edit:
    I see I was beaten to it !!
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, just checked and it was a novel written by Joan Lindsay in 1967.

I really REALLY thought it was a true story. :o

Me too :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the truth about Picnic at Hanging Rock:

"Picnic at Hanging Rock is a 1967 drama and mystery novel by Australian author Joan Lindsay. She wrote it over a four-week period [1] at her home Mulberry Hill in Baxter, on Victoria's Mornington Peninsula. It was first published in 1967 in Australia by Cheshire Publishing and was released in paperback by Penguin in 1970. The plot focuses on a group of girls at an Australian women's college in the year 1900 who vanish during a Valentine's Day picnic at the site of an enormous rock formation. The novel is often discussed and debated due to its ambiguous ending.

The rock formation featured in the story, Hanging Rock, is an actual geological formation located in Victoria, Australia.

The novel was adapted into a critically-acclaimed film of the same name in 1975 by director Peter Weir."

• Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the truth about Picnic at Hanging Rock:

"Picnic at Hanging Rock is a 1967 drama and mystery novel by Australian author Joan Lindsay. She wrote it over a four-week period [1] at her home Mulberry Hill in Baxter, on Victoria's Mornington Peninsula. It was first published in 1967 in Australia by Cheshire Publishing and was released in paperback by Penguin in 1970. The plot focuses on a group of girls at an Australian women's college in the year 1900 who vanish during a Valentine's Day picnic at the site of an enormous rock formation. The novel is often discussed and debated due to its ambiguous ending.

The rock formation featured in the story, Hanging Rock, is an actual geological formation located in Victoria, Australia.

The novel was adapted into a critically-acclaimed film of the same name in 1975 by director Peter Weir."

Was interesting to read about the missing chapter that was removed from the book.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now we have solved picnic at hanging rock, was "hissing sid" actually as innocent as was claimed back in 1980 :D:D
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That interview with Huntley, looking back was so creepy that I have to turn over if it's ever shown on T.V. I can't abide to watch it, especially the bit where he says he could have been the last person to see the girls alive.

I can remember watching a lot of Sky news at the time, because I have relatives who live near Soham and so took an interest in the case and so many times when there would be live reports from there Ian Huntley would be there hanging around in the background, he wouldn't even try and hide either.

There's another mystery for you. Whatever happened to Maxine Carr? You dont hear about her at all anymore. I know her name and appearance was changed. I remember hearing at one time that she was living in a monastry and had discovered god, and another time that someone recognised her in a supermarket.
  • nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's so many but the Peter Falconio case is one I ponder at times still.

And timeslips. Have read some wonderfully spooky reports by people. Fascinating.
  • The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    Having an erratic memory I can't remember the details, but if you ever get the chance to see the documentary James Ellroy's Feast of Death (don't be put off by the lurid name, it is utterly compelling), in it - towards the end - a detective who has looked into the Black Dahlia case gives his version of what happened and why, and it is very plausible.
    It's a fascinating film.

Sorry to quote myself, but if anyone's interested in the Black Dahlia case, I've just found the "solution" posited by a detective in that James Ellroy documentary posted on YouTube. It's in three parts, and the case is being discussed over dinner between Ellroy and a group of his detective friends. Sensitive souls should be aware that not only is the case extremely gristly, but the language is also occasionally "colourful". :)

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I myself experienced a time slip, ive posted on here about it before. It was very odd but not spooky as you'd expect, just odd and I found myself trying to rationalise it for ages afterwards. But I know what I saw.