Paradise Towers

KimmlerKimmler Posts: 1,906
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise_Towers

Any one else a fan of this serial? To me it's one of my favourite episodes...although it features Bonnie Langford and Richard Briers overacts, I still love it!

For me it's the humour, the fashions, the gangs and the ambition and imagination that went into the serial. Typical of the old Dr. Who, the budgets didn't quite stretch far enough to meet the imagination of the writers. But they didn't do a bad job here.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    While being much better than the abyssmal 'Time and the Rani' Paradise Towers has genius and absurdity in equal measures. I love the ever so camp cannibal grannies who try to chew on Bonnie Langford, probably more meat on the budgie they finished off earlier. I didn't mind most of the word play between characters, especially the rule book scene, but the Kang slang felt out of date and became tedious. The whole thing could have been a lot darker and the central idea of a stagnating high rise tower left after a war and its various unsavoury characters is just brilliant, but toned down with everyone camping and hamming up the acting brings it down to pantoland. Richard Briers deserves special mention as being one of the most cringe worthy gust appearances in 'Who', it was bad enough on the earlier episodes with his 'Blakey' from 'On the Buses' impersonation, then the zombie version later had me hiding behind my hands, not scared but embarressed!
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IIRC, Briers really pissed off the cast and production team by refusing to take it seriously and ignoring directions stop camping it up, because he felt it was a 'childrens programme'. His disdain for the show didn't stop him accepting a paying job on it, though...
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard Briers is quite poor, and some of the design and music are a bit off, but it's a fine idea for a story.

There are some excellent ideas and moments; the cannibal lesbian grannies are wonderful; Bonnie is fine; the futurespeak language is ingenious ...

I hope that, when it's out on DVD soon, people will reconsider Paradise Towers and rescue it from the bottom of the pile. Watching Time and the Rani for the first time in ages, when it came out on DVD, it dawned on me that it's actually a perfectly decent story. Some wibblywobbly bits, some dodgy design and music, but it all hangs together perfectly well. I think Season 24 is long overdue for a bit of a renaissance and reassessment.
  • KimmlerKimmler Posts: 1,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *deleted*.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slyvester McCoy was a fine Dr...and Sophie Aldred was great as Ace.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard Briers is quite poor, and some of the design and music are a bit off, but it's a fine idea for a story.

There are some excellent ideas and moments; the cannibal lesbian grannies are wonderful; Bonnie is fine; the futurespeak language is ingenious ...
    Where is it ever suggested that Tilda and Tabby are lesbians? :confused:

I hope that, when it's out on DVD soon, people will reconsider Paradise Towers and rescue it from the bottom of the pile. Watching Time and the Rani for the first time in ages, when it came out on DVD, it dawned on me that it's actually a perfectly decent story. Some wibblywobbly bits, some dodgy design and music, but it all hangs together perfectly well. I think Season 24 is long overdue for a bit of a renaissance and reassessment.
    As far as Paradise Towers and Dragonfire go, I might agree with you. Time & the Rani, though, is just embarrassing. I can never make up my mind about Delta & the Bannermen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as Paradise Towers and Dragonfire go, I might agree with you. Time & the Rani, though, is just embarrassing. I can never make up my mind about Delta & the Bannermen.

Delta & the Bannermen and i watched that again last year and im with you. The idea is great but the actual excution of it is quite poor unfortunatly like alot of mccoys stories
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Ginge wrote: »
    Delta & the Bannermen and i watched that again last year and im with you. The idea is great but the actual excution of it is quite poor unfortunatly like alot of mccoys stories

True...they were badly let down by the budgets. Those robot caretakers were laughable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a lot of very shaky design in the S.24. I'll certainly give you that. Some of it is just garish. Burrow through all of that, and there are some great ideas, great characters, neat scripts, and fun stories. I like it S.24 more as I get older. I hated it at the time, because I was coming into my teens and was convinced that DW ought to be serious.

It's never explicitly stated that Tabby and Tilda are lesbians. It's just a li'l fantasy of mine. ;)
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paradise Towers isn't without its problems, but I think McCoy is infinitely better than in Time and the Rani (anyone got any idea what sequence the stories were shot in that year?) and the whole thing hangs together pretty well if you accept it on its own terms. I'd rate it as highly as any of the televised Colin Baker stories, and I quite like segments of Trial of a Time Lord.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    I love 'Delta and the Bannermen' I think because all the pantomime camp that lttered the rest of the season seemed so in place here as a Dick Barton, 50's sort of storytelling. It has it's problems with the script of course but I always love a story with loads of location work.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    As you know I'm not a huge fan of McCoys Doctor but I also quite like Delta & The Bannermen Still think his best story was Remembrance of the Daleks
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Absolutely hated:

Time and the Rani
    Paradise Towers
    Delta and the Bannermen
    Dragonfire

Why: Because as an adult at the time, they, for me, confirmed that JNT had gone absolutely stark raving bonkers and was taking DW to new lows.

Only with some classics like the Curse of Fenric and Remembrance of the Daleks, did SMcs tenure save itself.

I know for many of you on here, Sylv was your Doctor, so my apologies to you.
  • outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    ]It's never explicitly stated that Tabby and Tilda are lesbians. It's just a li'l fantasy of mine. ;)

The idea that Rezzies was short for "Resident Lesbians" was a fan myth in the 80s. I'm afraid it was denied by JNT, Chuff.

I wouldn't be surprised, though. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never knew the "resident lesbians" thing! Thanks, Outside!

S24 has grown on me over the years. There's a larger than life energy to it, and a real sense of fun. It has energy and "oomph" to it, and feels very fresh and new and alive. It doesn't take itself seriously, and that is something I am very grateful for as time wears on!

I particularly hated Delta and the Bannermen, when I was a po-faced 12yr old, but now I love it. Murray is so warm and loveable. I want to give Goronwy a hug. Ray is a hoot ("He was ionised!"). The smoking blue suede shoes. Nasty Gavrok. It feels summery and is actually quite grown-up, with a real emotional edge to it dealing with unrequited love.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never knew the "resident lesbians" thing! Thanks, Outside!

S24 has grown on me over the years. There's a larger than life energy to it, and a real sense of fun. It has energy and "oomph" to it, and feels very fresh and new and alive. It doesn't take itself seriously, and that is something I am very grateful for as time wears on!

I particularly hated Delta and the Bannermen, when I was a po-faced 12yr old, but now I love it. Murray is so warm and loveable. I want to give Goronwy a hug. Ray is a hoot ("He was ionised!"). The smoking blue suede shoes. Nasty Gavrok. It feels summery and is actually quite grown-up, with a real emotional edge to it dealing with unrequited love.
    My main problem with Delta is that we are never given even the vaguest explanation for who or what the Bannermen actually are or why they want to wipe out the Chimerons, which I think is a significant and rather unfortunate ommission in a story which is basically about the Bannermen trying to wipe out the Chimerons...
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    My main problem with Delta is that we are never given even the vaguest explanation for who or what the Bannermen actually are or why they want to wipe out the Chimerons, which I think is a significant and rather unfortunate ommission in a story which is basically about the Bannermen trying to wipe out the Chimerons...

Disclaimer: I've not seen Delta - but is it possible that we are supposed to judge the characters on their actions and intentions, rather than on their justifications? Is it possible that it was deliberately left vague, or is it not even acknowleged?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disclaimer: I've not seen Delta - but is it possible that we are supposed to judge the characters on their actions and intentions, rather than on their justifications? Is it possible that it was deliberately left vague, or is it not even acknowleged?

No. It's not even acknowledged. We are simply told that here are these guys in black, working for another guy in black, who have exterminated an alien race and now want to kill the last survivor at any cost. There's no reason, and no suggestion that it has been deliberately left unspecified. It's just not there.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. It's not even acknowledged. We are simply told that here are these guys in black, working for another guy in black, who have exterminated an alien race and now want to kill the last survivor at any cost. There's no reason, and no suggestion that it has been deliberately left unspecified. It's just not there.

The Bannermen evolved from this species on the Chimerons' planet. Historically they have never known how to do anything else besides wipe out Chimerons.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    Paradise Towers isn't without its problems, but I think McCoy is infinitely better than in Time and the Rani (anyone got any idea what sequence the stories were shot in that year?) and the whole thing hangs together pretty well if you accept it on its own terms. I'd rate it as highly as any of the televised Colin Baker stories, and I quite like segments of Trial of a Time Lord.

Totally disagree with you on this. Paradise Towers is far inferior to any story of Colin Baker Era and if I had to make a choice whether to watch it or The Twin Dilemma, I'd choose the latter every time.

That's nothing against Sylvester McCoy. Colin Baker could have been The Doctor in this story and I still would have hated it. :)
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    The Bannermen evolved from this species on the Chimerons' planet. Historically they have never known how to do anything else besides wipe out Chimerons.

I just spat my tea out :D
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [/B]

Totally disagree with you on this. Paradise Towers is far inferior to any story of Colin Baker Era and if I had to make a choice whether to watch it or The Twin Dilemma, I'd choose the latter every time.

That's nothing against Sylvester McCoy. Colin Baker could have been The Doctor in this story and I still would have hated it. :)

Even if Peri had been in it? ;)
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    The McCoy era has never been high on my list.
    I rate Paradise Towers slightly above The Happiness Patrol...which was cringeworthy IMO.
    Give me Delta & The Bannermen anyday - at least it was a jolly romp! :D
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if Peri had been in it? ;)

Mel's silliness was one of many annoying elements in PT. I doubt it would have been much better with Peri in it but at least I'd have had a distraction(s). ;)
  • alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    Absolutely hated:

Time and the Rani
    Paradise Towers
    Delta and the Bannermen
    Dragonfire

Why: Because as an adult at the time, they, for me, confirmed that JNT had gone absolutely stark raving bonkers and was taking DW to new lows.

Only with some classics like the Curse of Fenric and Remembrance of the Daleks, did SMcs tenure save itself.

I know for many of you on here, Sylv was your Doctor, so my apologies to you.
    Battlefield was good as well, IMO