Childrens comics (and characters in them) from the 80s to mid 90s

IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
Forum Member
✭✭
I was chatting to my parents the other day about comics I used to get as a child. There used to be quite alot of them and we were trying to remember as many as we could.

We managed to remember the following:-

- The Beano
- The Dandy
- Beezer
- Topper
- Whizzer and Chips

but im pretty sure there were others - some were only released as a summer special type publication? can anyone remember others from this time? not including spin offs from TV shows like Heathcliff, Inspector Gadget etc.

Character wise some we remembered, that make me laugh to think about them now (rather un-PC ones which probably wouldn't be allowed now?) include:-

- The Scruffs and The Toffs
- Lord Snooty (and his pals)
- Bash Street Kids

Also Korky The Cat, Minnie the Minx, The Numbskulls (that lived in someones head!), Billy the Whizz (who could run past rain lol), Beryl The Peril and Rodger the Dodger.

Anyone remember Dennis The Menaces pet pig, Rasher? :D I was a member of the Dennis the Menace fanclub at one point too, I got the badge and everything lol.

I used to look forward to going on holiday in summer as my parents would buy a couple of comics to bring with us when we went travelling, to keep me occupied and I usually got The Beano Annual as a Christmas present as well - those were the days *sigh*

Comments

• JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    The Beano is still in print, the Dandy ended in December but a new version immediately launched online at www.dandy.com.

The Bash Street Kids, Roger, Minnie, Numskulls, Lord Snooty, Dennis the Menace and Gnasher and Rasher are all in The Beano at present.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    The Beano is still in print, the Dandy ended in December but a new version immediately launched online at www.dandy.com.

The Bash Street Kids, Roger, Minnie, Numskulls, Lord Snooty, Dennis the Menace and Gnasher and Rasher are all in The Beano at present.

I didn't mean to imply that their not in print, just that I remember them from childhood. I remember seeing a documentary (BBC Scotland?) about DC Thomson where they talked about changes they had to make to some characters to adapt to PC related issues - I thought it was interesting.
  • EastlandsEastlands Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    I also remember Whoopee comic, though that merged with Whizzer and Chips in the 80's I think. Eagle made a comeback in the 80's which I quite liked.

Yes, there were plenty of un pc characters in those days. I recall The Jocks and The Geordies, whose stories were basically about fighting with each other!

Roy of the Rovers and Tiger were my favourites due to the sporting elements. Oddly, Gary Kemp and Martin Kemp of Spandau Ballet fame signed for Roy's Melchester Rovers team.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, Whoopee merged with Whizzer & Chips which itself merged with Buster.

The Jocks and the Geordies were in the Dandy in the 80s and 90s, but were removed along with Bully Beef and Chips because of anti-bullying concerns.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eastlands wrote: »
    I also remember Whoopee comic, though that merged with Whizzer and Chips in the 80's I think. Eagle made a comeback in the 80's which I quite liked.

Yes, there were plenty of un pc characters in those days. I recall The Jocks and The Geordies, whose stories were basically about fighting with each other!

Roy of the Rovers and Tiger were my favourites due to the sporting elements. Oddly, Gary Kemp and Martin Kemp of Spandau Ballet fame signed for Roy's Melchester Rovers team.

The Jocks and the Geordies were in the Dandy in the 80s and 90s, but were removed along with Bully Beef and Chips because of anti-bullying concerns.

I remember Whoopee :) thanks for the information, brings back some memories!.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can you imagine the reaction today to a character like 'Shiner', from Whizzer and Chips!?:eek:
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My brother used to get The Beano and Warlord, and I used to get The Dandy and Battle (which merged with Action comic to become Battle Action), and we'd read each other's comics.

I would say that Battle Action was my favourite comic, and Charley's War was my favourite story. Johnny Red second choice.

I also used to buy those small Commando Books in some quantity. I used to buy them a dozen at a time from a local second hand shop.
    Forum Member
    They still publish four issues of Commando every fortnight.