Brucie is to become a Sir

12346»

Comments

• Options
    miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeus wrote: »
    Fear not, Bruce has never bothered about the critics, and he's had a few of them over the last 50 years or so. Maybe it's because of those solid foundations his career is built upon. ;)

Are you takin' the piss? I hope not. I am genuine in what I say!;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure he would be well known in Ireland because British TV (dare I say it?) is quite popular there. From what I've heard the Irish tend to favour the BBC over RTE.

Yea he is quite well known over here . . . not only do we watch British TV Channels but quite regularly programmes made for BBC and ITV etc are shown on Irish Channels too!!

For example Strictly is on TV3 as is I'm a Celeb, X Factor and BGT!!
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think Ken Dodd should have got one in preference to boring Brucie
  • Options
    NormandyMaryNormandyMary Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give a famouse person a knighthood for sevices to-entertainment (in this case). These people are in it for their own ego. It's a privilege to work in such well paying industry, don't give me all of this "services to" rubbish. Please.

Probably a nice bloke, but non of these showbizzers should get knighted for having a great-job for decades.

Hear hear. I could name many who deserve it much more than him.
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    miles19740 wrote: »
    Are you takin' the piss? I hope not. I am genuine in what I say!;)

Perish the thought! So am I! :)
  • Options
    GlinnyGlinny Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a load of rubbish some doddery old bloke who has been around for years in the entertainment industry and appears on the tv for 12 weeks a year on the BBC for SCD gets a knighthood. :eek:

Knighthoods should be given for people who have done really worthwhile things not some silly old fool who should have given up years ago.

I expect Bruce Forsythe will be one of those who insists that he is always called by his title Sir just like the actor Ben Kingsley another jumped up pompous twit who got a gong for just being in the film industry.

They certainly give these titles away like sweets in a candy shop these days.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the posts here are really vile. What has the old man ever done to you? :confused: In the world where Prices, Andres, Katonas and other parasites are role models, "only" doing your job for decades must be almost heroic and deserves to be rewarded.
  • Options
    BaffrobesBaffrobes Posts: 3,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That awful dance Forsythe does looks like a fire walker trying to flick shit of his feet.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baffrobes wrote: »
    That awful dance Forsythe does looks like a fire walker trying to flick shit of his feet.

Although Sir Bruce Forsyth is one of the very few British entertainers who could take his place beside somebody like Sammy Davis Junior, and match him step for step. :D
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    wwooo about time
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for him :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to Sir you to Sir you Nice
  • Options
    wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always wondered about the following knighthoods in particular:

Donald Sinden
    Ben Kingsley
    Terry Wogan
    Jimmy Young
    Michael Parkinson
    Tom Jones
    Mick Jagger
    Alex Ferguson
    Trevor MacDonald

What exactly have the holders of these titles done to deserve it...if it is successful careers then lesser honours would be suffice IMO if you believe in that sort of thing.

Bruce Forsyth more than merits inclusion in the above list I'm afraid........Knighthoods should be for groundbreakers in their fields not time-servers.There is a suspicion that they are running out of people so virtually anyone will do.Meaningless now for me and I will always have more time for people who don't care about or use titles.

Wives of knights using Ladyship titles when they have done precisely zilch to deserve it except get married never gets mentioned but is the final straw for me in making the whole thing a nonsense.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Bowie was offered, and turned down, an award-but I can't recall if it was an OBE or knighthood.