Options

Good Morning Britain to be binned?

i4ui4u Posts: 55,005
Forum Member
After recording it's lowest rating of just 270,000 reports of the show being ditched have begun....
A source has now told The Sun that the show “cannot survive” with such low ratings.

“No-one is expecting to beat the BBC and no-one is expecting to get over a million viewers,” the source said. “But we do want it to get above 15 per cent — or it is toast.”

The source adds that bosses are planning to wait a little longer before axing the show.

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    After recording it's lowest rating of just 270,000 reports of the show being ditched have begun....

I thought they were in it for ''the long term'' which would suggest at least a year.ITV now get jittery after a month. When did it record 270,000, presumably during half-term last week ?
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "source" claims that it will be replaced by cartoons but that cannot happen under the terms of the franchise. Anyone who is part of the production team or management at ITV must know the franchise conditions surely?
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not too upset, the glory days of Mike Morris and Mad Lizzie are long gone
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    I thought they were in it for ''the long term'' which would suggest at least a year.ITV now get jittery after a month. When did it record 270,000, presumably during half-term last week ?

I think it was the Monday of half-term yeah
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was the Monday of half-term yeah

Which was a Bank Holiday and the audience figure, therefore, irrelevant. This week's figures will tell the story.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,949
    Forum Member
    Audience figures since launch are down around 13% year on year according to Broadcast. For 28 April to 28 May the average was 584k compared to 673k for the comparable period last year. That 584k is only marginally down on the 588k Daybreak average for Jan to Apr.

The average for the first month may have been boosted by some encouraging early figures and the trend going forward not so encouraging but there hasn't been a massive fall-off in audience.

I still think they need to tweak the entertainment/gossip elements of the show.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The article from The Sun is complete cack. GMB will not be axed, it will not be replaced with cartoons, ITV are in it for the long haul and ratings recovered back to 600,000.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,005
    Forum Member
    The article from The Sun is complete cack. GMB will not be axed, it will not be replaced with cartoons, ITV are in it for the long haul and ratings recovered back to 600,000.

365 days?
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good. It's complete and utter rubbish. Those 4 presenters sit there trying to outdo each other in the popularity stakes. Susanna Reid is now so far up herself it's unbelievable.

They got this one badly wrong and the sooner it goes the better.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sun is trying to create a self-fulfilling prophecy. The more the sense of doom is picked up by other media and the more the ratings stagnate/fall the likelier it is to happen then The Sun can claim the credit for calling it first.

I would imagine Reid`s agent is shedding clients at the moment.
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daily Mail - Published: 09:39, 2 June 2014:

"the programme has failed to reach the 15 per cent of the audience share bosses reportedly said it needed to survive, and the show is being watched by fewer people than flop Daybreak - which it was brought in to replace".

:D:D:D:D:D

That's embarrassing.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. :D Where's Roland Rat's number? Someone call his agent!
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D

That's embarrassing.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. :D Where's Roland Rat's number? Someone call his agent!

Either that or get the rights to show the camp 60s version of Batman!! :D
  • Options
    radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    The "source" claims that it will be replaced by cartoons but that cannot happen under the terms of the franchise. Anyone who is part of the production team or management at ITV must know the franchise conditions surely?

I suppose what they could do is something like this

6am Morning News
    6.30 Cartoon
    7.00 Morning News
    7.30 Cartoon / repeat of soap?
    8.00 Morning News
    8.30 Cartoon
    8.45 Lorraine
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can't axe it because they have to have news on the morning.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could always simulcast Sunrise like Channel 5 did some years ago, maybe with a regional opt out.
  • Options
    Gazza1982Gazza1982 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can't axe it because they have to have news on the morning.

But you cold easily argue how much of the current show is actually news. I mean is Andi Peters and his stupid game giving away money news really news? I wouldn't even classify Ross King 'live from Hollywood' news either.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

It's two separate reports merged into one there (the SR quote was from a day or two back), but all the same, the story (with all of its inaccuracies) is now being picked up by other news sites.

The constant drip, drip, drip of bad/negative press reports (even if untrue) won't do the show any good. this in itself is going to be a problem unless ITV get a grip on it.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GMTV used to do a show on Saturday and Sunday mornings including news bulletins but OFCOM didn't object when they dropped them in favour of children's programmes including cartoons. News coverage is available on many other channels at that time in the morning apart from the BBC and Sky. It's patently obvious ITV can't make a breakfast show work so why not offer an alternative ? I just await the news that Ms Reid is embarking on a new ITV series of country walks and we'll know then it's all over.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gazza1982 wrote: »
    But you cold easily argue how much of the current show is actually news. I mean is Andi Peters and his stupid game giving away money news really news? I wouldn't even classify Ross King 'live from Hollywood' news either.

Best thing could be to simulcast Sky News with regional opt outs, Then have Lorraine as normal at 08:30.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could always simulcast Sunrise like Channel 5 did some years ago, maybe with a regional opt out.

ITV/ITN are EBU members still I think, so they could show EuroNews ?

It would cost next to nothing.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »

Pay the £19 for me to join up and I will gladly try to spot the ringer.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    GMTV used to do a show on Saturday and Sunday mornings including news bulletins but OFCOM didn't object when they dropped them in favour of children's programmes including cartoons. News coverage is available on many other channels at that time in the morning apart from the BBC and Sky. It's patently obvious ITV can't make a breakfast show work so why not offer an alternative ?

The news and current affairs requirements in the franchise only apply to weekdays, they can do pretty much what they like at weekends.
    Pay the £19 for me to join up and I will gladly try to spot the ringer.

Try posting the article title into Google and then follow the link. ;-)
  • Options
    ShadowlandsShadowlands Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All it needs is a little rejig. Move it to, oh, I don't know, a lock keepers cottage maybe? Broadcast from there, get Lisa Tarbuck and Johnny Vaughn to present and call it The Big Breakfast?