Matt smith leaving

Comments

• icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    My view is the complete opposite of yours. I've watched for a smiliar length of time and Matt is my favorite by far.

I cannot believe that you would place any of them above Matt particularly: Sylvester McCoy & Colin Baker???? :eek:
    The show was a laughing stock in those days.

It still is a laughing stock .Matt isn't fit enough to polish McCoy's boots tho .
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can we wait until it's on an actual news site before we start arguing? :D
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Oh please, please, please be true!

I have waited so long for this and maybe Dr Who Lite (AKA Dr Who Zero Gravitas) can get back it's old adult audience and still be suitable for the whole family. Basically the great drama that it became under Eccleston and Tennant.

So stunningly good, you forgot that it was Dr Who. Then Smith arrived...

Where's a facepalm when you need one?
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    As nebo says, I don't think his filming the 8th series has been mentioned anywhere, has it?

The trouble with Nebo is he's the editor of the Nebosphere Gazette. It publishes any old tittle tattle as front page shockers to catch the eye of punters as they queue for the omnibus home.

But on this story he used best journalistic practices (5 minutes with Google and a gander at Wikipedia) and found not only scant mention of Matt associated with series 8, but no indication whatsoever of any of series 8 being filmed in 2013.
  • nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nyder wrote: »
    I rate Matt Smith as the best Doctor since Tom Baker.
    Same here. Whatever you have to have as an actor to make you "Doctor-ish", he's got it in spades.
    But, he will have been in the role for 4 years come Christmas, which is more than the average stint.
    I tend to think of it in terms of 'hours playing the Doctor' - wonder how he compares with others?
    I must admit that I would like the next Doctor to be a bit older.
    The casting of MS has made me realise that I'm not fussed how old the actor is - but I think being unfamiliar with the actor definitely helps with their believability.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    probably because the BBC hasn't commissioned Who beyond Christmas so he can't comment on something he has no control over!
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    The trouble with Nebo is he's the editor of the Nebosphere Gazette. It publishes any old tittle tattle as front page shockers to catch the eye of punters as they queue for the omnibus home.

But on this story he used best journalistic practices (5 minutes with Google and a gander at Wikipedia) and found not only scant mention of Matt associated with series 8, but no indication whatsoever of any of series 8 being filmed in 2013.

I'm sure I have read (on here) that Jenna is definitely doing series 8, because I was relieved at the thought that there is actually going to be one at some point. But I don't remember any filming date.

(Re Nebosphere Gazette - given that it was finally correct in it's Ice Warrior prediction, though I believe it took a while, could you use your influence with this noble periodical and get them to start predicting the return of Alpha C.?:D)
    Forum Member
    The_abbott wrote: »
    probably because the BBC hasn't commissioned Who beyond Christmas so he can't comment on something he has no control over!

The trouble with that line of reasoning is that Jenna and Marcus Wilson both said on a BBC radio interview, heard by myself (i am the respected editor of a venerable daily evening newsheet), that Jenna is definitely in series 8.

The BBC have no problem in acknowledging the existence of series 8.

Matt can't say one way or the other in public right now. He might be in it. He might not. He is not able to say.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given the Sun Article states that Matt has already filmed that Ryan Gosling film which in reality he doesn't do till after filming the 50th Anniversary I see they are keeping to their usual standard of accuracy.
  • delfryndelfryn Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Elsewhere Christina Hendricks claims to be starting Ryans'
    film in May(after shooting Mad Men).
    So when could Matt fit in any work for Who?
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delfryn wrote: »
    Elsewhere Christina Hendricks claims to be starting Ryans'
    film in May(after shooting Mad Men).
    So when could Matt fit in any work for Who?

Well he's filming the Christmas Special for this year after the anniversary, upon his return, so clearly he's going to fit it in afterwards :D
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    probably because the BBC hasn't commissioned Who beyond Christmas

Oh my! You mean Doctor Who is being cancelled at Christmas!?! Somebody phone The Sun's news desk!!!
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    The trouble with that line of reasoning is that Jenna and Marcus Wilson both said on a BBC radio interview, heard by myself (i am the respected editor of a venerable daily evening newsheet), that Jenna is definitely in series 8.

Matt can't say one way or the other in public right now. He might be in it. He might not. He is not able to say.

Which means they're probably still in negotiations about renewing Matt's contract. Or he's leaving. If he's decided to go, it would involve the 50th or Christmas Specials story lines. I can see, even if thy knew now, that it wouldn't be officially announced till much nearer the time.

When would they need to start casting a new Doctor in time for filming series 8?
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Series 8 has been confirmed.

Matt is at least filming the Christmas special after his movie in America.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well at the end of series 6 we got the trenzalore thing. So maybe half way through S8 would be a good time ?. Especially if they split it into part one march and part 2 in sept. Leave it on a cliffhanger for the summer and start fresh in the autumn with 12. Love Matt and wish him all the best for future films and otehr things he does :):D:cool::p
  • FacepalmerFacepalmer Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    I've been watching for 49 years and 4 months and I think Matt is one of the best Doctors there's ever been.

He has captured the essence perfectly, and has managed to echo several other Doctors in his portrayal, most notably the 2nd. Very well done, considering he wasn't a fan before he got the part, and hadn't watched the programme before.

Not only has he never put a foot wrong in his portrayal of the Doctor, he has thrown himself with enthusiasm into all the off-screen stuff that being the Doctor entails, which I think is pretty well essential for such an iconic role.

I'll miss him, when he goes, but he'll have done 3 series by the end of this year, so I do expect his leaving to be fairly soon after that.

As nebo says, I don't think his filming the 8th series has been mentioned anywhere, has it?

At the risk of sounding cliquey I totally agree with Granny (usually by default) :D
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    Which means they're probably still in negotiations about renewing Matt's contract. Or he's leaving. If he's decided to go, it would involve the 50th or Christmas Specials story lines. I can see, even if thy knew now, that it wouldn't be officially announced till much nearer the time.

When would they need to start casting a new Doctor in time for filming series 8?

I don't know what the lead time needs to be. Presumably a minimum of a month before filming? Of course, as far as I can tell we have no information as to when series 8 is expected to start filming.

The only thing we know is that we don't know. I wouldn't be at all surprised that having played the role since 2009 he might well choose to do something else in 2014. But that is just my guess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :)I believe the sun and its been true in passst but thisss show is about change so nobody stays in dw expect for baker and tennant
    ax
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    So he's staying then.........:(
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    ic wrote: »
    It still is a laughing stock.

No, it's fine, you're just an adult now and can't enjoy it the way you used to.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I agree with the view that they are in negotiations about Smith staying on for another year. Bear in mind when he started the show he was a relative unknown and came in with a salary well below Tennant's, now he has been offered a significant film role, he is in a position of strength to negotiate a pay rise.

tinny wrote: »
    :)I believe the sun and its been true in passst but thisss show is about change so nobody stays in dw expect for baker and tennant
    ax

By the xmas special this year, Matt will only have appeared in a couple of episodes less than Tennant has.....if he stays on for another series or even half a series he will have done more. ;)
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It saddens me that anyone believes this sort of rubbish. The Scum merely takes a well established fact (that Matt Smith has nearly completed his three-year contract) and then takes a punt on a 50/50 outcome, claiming that the information comes from "sources" and "insiders".

If Smith leaves, dullards will be wowed by the Scum's investigative journalism. If Smith stays, however, the Scum gets to do a bit of BBC-bashing over his inevitable pay rise.

Scum-readers really are a credulous bunch. They're exactly the sort of people who believe Derek Acorah has "psychic" powers and Russell Grant can chart their future.:D
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

maybe she has a less hectic schedule and has freed up a period to film series 8 but its dependant on Matt being free.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    My own personal theory is that, like it not, the split season farce is here to stay, so we will get the first half of series 8 in 2014, the Christmas special and then the second half in 2015. I reckon that Matt will film the first half of series 8 and then either regenerate at the end of those or at the Christmas special after that and we get a new Doctor for series 8b.*

* This information is purely my own thoughts and speculation and is based on absolutely no information, sources, 'insider information' or interviews with Jonathan Ross.
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    Hubby texted me while I was at work like it was confirmed and I was stuck in a conference so unable to check....grrr! Still unsure of course but annoys me when this sort of thing happens.