Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

seems odd to fire these people if anything why have they fire peter allan since he is old and much older than the others leaving

Who has been fired do tell please Mr Higgy?

And enough of your ageist ramblings about Peter Alan, very tiresome.
  • Options
    SageDragonSageDragon Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    curmy wrote: »
    Not sure about Peter working with Adrian, they're both quite forceful personalities . I wish they could find someone like Jane Garvey.

I think they're going to be presenting on different days.

But overall, it's just cementing its position as Radio Bloke. Fine if that's what it wants to be. I also tend to think that top talent wants to be in London - the arguments against Salford will go on for years and years.
  • Options
    markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fighting Talk is going to be a bit different. Nothing against Georgie or Josh but surely two presenters is more costly than one - even when that's the OC? Maybe the panel is getting reduced to balance?
    Amongst various new projects, Richard will be co-presenting a new primetime BBC1 series with Una Stubbs – a nationwide search for Britain’s best amateur painter.

Why does that bit remind me of the TV series W1A? It's a bit "Britain's Tastiest Village"
  • Options
    Tony YeboahTony Yeboah Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    For The Difference, the reference to Mark Chapman's Friday night slot is at the bottom of this article
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/01/adrian-chiles-bbc-radio-5-live-victoria-derbyshire-shelagh-fogarty
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For The Difference, the reference to Mark Chapman's Friday night slot is at the bottom of this article
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/01/adrian-chiles-bbc-radio-5-live-victoria-derbyshire-shelagh-fogarty

Thanks, I hadn't seen the updated version of that article - those details were missing from the original.
  • Options
    Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Overall more good than bad, and a long overdue shakeup in what had become a very stale and tired radio station. All the three who are going were well past their best in those slots, with Bacon in particular becoming a parody of himself.

The major omission is not tackling Breakfast, and that silly split shift thing that does not work at all well. Either Wall has backed away from taking Campbell on, or it may have been too much change at one go to include Breakfast as well.

I do not agree with the posters who have leapt to the conclusion that it will mean more sport, as it is clear from the blog and the BBC website that they are looking for more in-depth coverage of some news and current affairs issues, which is all to the good. I have heard Dan Walker do some good stuff, so we need to give him chance. Hopefully some of the other sports will get more and better coverage than at present, at the expense of the sub-standard football coverage, which there is too much of.

Nice to see Adrian Chiles and Tony Livesey get more air time - they are both good broadcasters, and have shown they can handle a range of subjects confidently.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Bloody Commode and Salad Cream will still be boring the pants off everyone on a Friday though with there ever so funny banter and in "jokes".

"Hello to Jason Issacs" my arse. My like a ****. (Nothing against JI by the way).

Oddly enough, their listeners do seem to enjoy the programme, Five Live's output is for all, so of course there will be some programmes not enjoyed by others.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member
    Wow a big shake up but generally good news. Derbyshire's loss will be mourned by no one (even Guardian readers are delighted to see the back of her, see the comments on here: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/01/bbc-radio-5-live-richard-bacon-leave-victoria-derbyshire-shelagh-fogarty)

Fogerty's show was just boring and Bacon was a little too narcissistic

Good to see Kermode and Mayo staying where they are. Their show is hugely popular.

I like Adrian Chiles, he will be a good addition.
  • Options
    ardchoileardchoile Posts: 17,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Oddly enough, their listeners do seem to enjoy the programme, Five Live's output is for all, so of course there will be some programmes not enjoyed by others.

I love the film review show - it's the only thing I specifically listen to on R5.

I'm so glad Sheila and Victoria are being shuffled off - they actively make me switch off, especially Victoria whose show is horrible tabloid radio.

Good luck to the new lot!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Overall, I like the sound of the changes a lot.

I have totally agreed with the recent sentiment on here that the station sounded stale. In my opinion, this should make things sound fresh.

Good Points:
    I'm very pleased for Tony Livesey, I have enjoyed his work since joining the station. Peter Allen is a fine presenter and will do well with the increased air time. Eleanor Oldroyd is excellent, Adrian Chiles should be good with his new role, although can't comment on Dan Walker and Sarah Brett.

Middle:
    I still enjoy the film show, but the 1hr version was much better. I wonder if George Riley will get a bigger gig sometime soon, I think his morning reports from Rio have been good and he has excellent as the sports reporter in the morning.

Needs further work:
    The obvious problems are the Breakfast show, with the odd time gap (and the Ego), now would have been a good time to get rid of him. I would have put Livesey on at breakfast with Rachel Burden, both to start at 6. And the, IMHO, god-awful Steven Nolan show. I cannot listen to 5-line in the evening Thu-Sun except for recently when the World-cup has been on, a pity because that is how I started listening to the station. As earlier commenters have added, 606 also needs some love and insight! Brad Friedel would be a great addition long-term.

Otherwise, good job all round.
    Bring on October.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Wow a big shake up but generally good news. Derbyshire's loss will be mourned by no one (even Guardian readers are delighted to see the back of her, see the comments on here: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/01/bbc-radio-5-live-richard-bacon-leave-victoria-derbyshire-shelagh-fogarty)

Good to see Kermode and Mayo staying where they are. Their show is hugely popular.

Exactly this.
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    I am struggling to find the reason for the Livesy love on here - a boring drone in my view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see that Guardian article suggested that the BBC are considering Victoria D as a replacement for Jeremy Paxman on Newsnight! *checks diary to see if it's April Fool's Day*
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'll miss her her, Victoria Derbyshire's programmes about Rachael, the alcoholic doctor were some of the best I've ever heard on the radio, her sympathetic treatment of her and her reaction to her sudden death was very moving.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    boksbox wrote: »
    I'll miss her her, Victoria Derbyshire's programmes about Rachael, the alcoholic doctor were some of the best I've ever heard on the radio, her sympathetic treatment of her and her reaction to her sudden death was very moving.

Fair enough but you seem very much in the minority. For most of us it sounded like she was cynically manipulating this ill lady to try and win a Sony Award.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough but you seem very much in the minority. For most of us it sounded like she was cynically manipulating this ill lady to try and win a Sony Award.

Beyond pathetic
  • Options
    radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    I think this has the overall feel of a good schedule. Shame we still have Nicky Campbell who has been at his most egoist and annoying over the past few days. I'm sure he does it just wind me up! I would have preferred to have Tony Livesey at breakfast. That said, it seems to be a schedule for the future. Not that sad to see any of the main weekday departees go, though Mike Ingham is a loss.

I think people confuse the Adrian Chiles on ITV Sport (which, along with his panel, takes football presentation down to Conference level) with his Five Live persona which I quite enjoy. He would do well to leg it from the ITV Sport as soon as it really is dire especially the bit where they sit out on the decking in shorts. I bet that sounded really good in the planning meeting.

Do we have a new schedule for the weekends? Talk of four hours of Nolan is a bit strong, there's only so much of his going round in circles getting people to cry asking them to "help him out here" we can take. Is he really doing 8-12? And does that mean the Bishop of Bobbins (other B words are more apt but are likely to be deleted by the mods) will be blessing us every Sunday from 11. I have usually drifted off before he comes on, often at the thought of him coming on, but he rivals The Ego for winding me up!

I would hate to see the end of Chris Warburton's programme on Saturday evenings which I really enjoy.

I'm glad someone raised their head above the wall (no pun intended) to ask why we have to have Mayo and Kermode on each Friday. Its a bit like breaking wind in the cathedral, someone has done it and yet we must turn away because it is not the done thing to do openly! I simply don't get why films need two hours? Kermode does it in fifteen minutes that same night on the News Channel. The programme, for me, is from a bygone day and why should Friday be any different to the previous four afternoons? And its from London! That said, I think if Five Live could get Mayo to go to Salford I would welcome him back to afternoons Monday - Friday with open arms. He is a class act.

Overall, I quite like to look of the new schedule. We are in need of a change and this looks to be a decent way forward.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Amongst various new projects, Richard will be co-presenting a new primetime BBC1 series with Una Stubbs – a nationwide search for Britain’s best amateur painter."

The Great British Stroke Off
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    As a devoted Radio 5 fan I am delighted with these changes.

I turned off Radio 5 during VD's time, it was not news or sport just an extension of the Jeremy Kyle show.

Fogarty had lost heart in what she did, in her programmes she seemed very bored actually and going through the motions.

Bacon was OK but when Walker stood in he shone.

Livesy I like because you need different sounds on radio and not just London based (there are people who live outside of London !!).

However the fantastic news is that John Murray has replaced the great Mike Ingam. I was worried he could be lost to TV and this is great news.

One final thing, does this really mean less news ? Dan can certainly do news, Peter can, Livesy can, in fact by easing Peter's move into retirement the morning show should be great to listen to.
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    "Amongst various new projects, Richard will be co-presenting a new primetime BBC1 series with Una Stubbs – a nationwide search for Britain’s best amateur painter."

The Great British Stroke Off

Worthy of a LOL:D
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simply brilliant. The Lbc factor taking an effect on the ratings? Who's next for the faux sympathy and misery...?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That line is worthy of being in the script of W1A.

Won't miss Derbyshire at all as she has been stale for years. Let's hope she doesn't pop up on Newsnight too often. Bacon can either be very good or terrible and the afternoon do need a shake up. I'll miss Shelagh though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    boksbox wrote: »
    Beyond pathetic

Yep it was pathetic radio and she was called out for it by many at the time
  • Options
    Rob793Rob793 Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and forgarty maybe finally getting a partner and starting a family...

What an intrusive and ill-mannered thing to say. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I on the whole look forward to the changes. To me, they seem generally favourable. I shall miss lunchtimes with Shelagh. Richard Bacon is okay, quite funny at times.
  • Options
    streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    It seems that there is some good news, fortunately Sam Walker appears not to have ended up with an extended role - just one weekend breakfast?

Disappointed to see the return of Anna 'Ha Ha' Foster to Drive following Maternity leave. Would have preferred to see the excellent Caroline Barker stay on.

It is a shame Saturday Edition with Chris Warburton is being scrapped to be replaced with four hours of Nolan ffs
This discussion has been closed.