BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    If it literally meant the banning the use of computers and CFD then I would be in favour. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Did anyone catch this mornings discussion on whisky and whether or not to add water. It actually made me chuckle this morning. NC was adamant that any Scot will always add water to "open up the flavours" and then the expert at the distillery says its personal choice, but that he would not add water. Well done for the business guy (Adam?) for asking the question, and the general banter that happened after. I did like it when NC quipped that champagne tastes better with water too! I prefer it when 5live breakfast is kept a bit lighter. It was strange to hear NC from 6, and it actually worked better to my surprise, although why they have to dedicate so much time to the golf is beyond me, I really don't think it works on the radio.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never mind about the whisky.... what the hell are 5 live doing broadcasting one of the most boring sports in the world all day? 5live's remit is to be a rolling news, debate and sport station which it patently isn't these days. Are they trying to take over from Talksport?
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Golf belongs on the radio as much as snooker does
  • JERRY HIPKISSJERRY HIPKISS Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind about the whisky.... what the hell are 5 live doing broadcasting one of the most boring sports in the world all day? 5live's remit is to be a rolling news, debate and sport station which it patently isn't these days. Are they trying to take over from Talksport?
    Whist I entirely agree with your sentiment - 5Live is a no go area for me, for the next few days - it happens every year, and with the Test Match on Sports Extra, that's how it is...
    Forum Member
    What with the golf and the cricket, F1 practise has been bumped to online only. :(

Fortunately not working tomorrow so not the issue it would otherwise be for me. :) But FP3 on Saturday will be an issue. :(

Why, Oh, why can't they make the F1 practise coverage available as podcasts? :confused:
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no interest in golf so will be avoiding R5L for the next few days so I'm pleased that there is a Test Match on Sports Extra to give me something to listen to.

I'm not sure how F1 works on the radio either., especially qualifying - but then I think cricket works great on the radio, so what do I know?
    Forum Member
    F1 practise sessions work well on the radio as it is as much as catching up with team and driver news as well as answering listener questions etc etc as describing the on track action. Brings you up to speed ready for quali and the race. There are usually video clips on BBC Sport online of any unusual offs or incidents of especial note to catch up with later.

Actually quali on the radio is not too bad either. Like watching the live timing screen with a knowledgeable friend to add colour. Shame they removed the sector times from the free version of the timing screen though as they are useful to give advance warning of someone on a quick lap which the commentator has not noticed or remarked on. It is only the race itself I would not contemplate listening to on the radio. In fact for the pre-race and post-race stuff I will don my wireless headphones and potter off to do stuff around the house settling back down in front of the TV on the formation lap.
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is all personal taste, I'd sooner listen to the golf on 5Live than a load of men driving round and round a track for 2 hours. but, I know it is popular, just like the golf is, so well done to 5Live for covering both sports so well. That said, I do have some sympathy for those who don't like sport at the moment as 5Live have devoted a lot of time to it! brace yourselves for the commonwealth games from next Wednesday!
    Forum Member
    Why do the BBC not have an audio only stream of BBC News? Would be one option for R5L sports refuseniks with limited mobile signal and data allowance. Other options are R4 and the World Service.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much better pundits team this year, without Andrews Coltart and Magee.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like golf but I think 5 Live are right to cover the British Open if TalkSport don't want to. It will be interrupted for news, other sport and travel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there any decent news stations available? I really like the format of Breakfast and Drive on 5Live so would like something similar for during the day. Not too keen on LBC as it is still quite London centric.
  • dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Malaysian Airlines plane goes down over Ukraine 5-Live is commentating on Golf :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 live at its worst - endless repetition of a few facts and endless speculation.
  • dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave2702 wrote: »
    A Malaysian Airlines plane goes down over Ukraine 5-Live is commentating on Golf :o

Ah I see they have left the Golf, but no-one has switched off the rights-restriction flag off so a lot of internet feeds as getting the "sorry this programme is not available in your region" message
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the news channelsare broadcasting speculation because the facts have not been fully obtained. This always happens when there is big breaking news due to the instant nature of the coverage.
    dave2702 wrote: »
    Ah I see they have left the Golf, but no-one has switched off the rights-restriction flag off so a lot of internet feeds as getting the "sorry this programme is not available in your region" message

There will be news coverage available for those regions in their own media.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    If it literally meant the banning the use of computers and CFD then I would be in favour. :)

We agree again Gomezz :):)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 live at its worst - endless repetition of a few facts and endless speculation.

Not much else they can do. They be criticised if they stuck to the golf or, if it had been a normal day, continued with some celeb interview.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, 5 Live is broadcasting live golf all day from 9am.

It is now 8:54 and guess what they are doing on the Breakfast show?

That's right, they are at the golf interviewing Peter Alliss FFS.
  • Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Not much else they can do. They be criticised if they stuck to the golf or, if it had been a normal day, continued with some celeb interview.

I agree, they had very little choice given the significance if what happened, and they would have been rightly criticised if they had kept broadcasting the golf.

However it does show the weakness of 5 Live pretending to be a rolling news station. I have said before that I would prefer the emphasis to be on proper analysis and insightful reporting, rather than uninformed speculation, which seems to be the nature of 5Lives news coverage nowdays
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian F 2012 wrote: »
    I agree, they had very little choice given the significance if what happened, and they would have been rightly criticised if they had kept broadcasting the golf.

However it does show the weakness of 5 Live pretending to be a rolling news station. I have said before that I would prefer the emphasis to be on proper analysis and insightful reporting, rather than uninformed speculation, which seems to be the nature of 5Lives news coverage nowdays

A tad harsh perhaps? This is a more general problem with rolling news channels. You get a really big news story breaking but facts are thin on the ground. I was watching the BBC news channel and it was repeating endlessly what was news and what was speculation. Ditto Sky News, and Al Jazeera was covering the Israeli ground offensive in Gaza.

Ian did you hear John Pinaar's programme last Sunday on the Scottish referendum? Itwas a whole 2 hours of serious analysis of the issues involved. It was in my view just the kind of analysis you want.
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    A tad harsh perhaps? This is a more general problem with rolling news channels. You get a really big news story breaking but facts are thin on the ground. I was watching the BBC news channel and it was repeating endlessly what was news and what was speculation. Ditto Sky News, and Al Jazeera was covering the Israeli ground offensive in Gaza.

Ian did you hear John Pinaar's programme last Sunday on the Scottish referendum? Itwas a whole 2 hours of serious analysis of the issues involved. It was in my view just the kind of analysis you want.

I thought the coverage was fine bringing details of a developing story and at that time of day lots of people will be getting in their cars to drive home so repeating what was known is what people would expect. I think 5 live got caught wanting with the Phone Hacking verdicts but they handled this better.

Yes John Pienaar was excellent giving very balanced coverage and analysis, the good thing about John is that he comes across as entirely neutral. I wasn't sad to learn that this week was Fogarty's last PMQs, when Pienaar covered it on his own it was better but I'm sure Peter will do a good job.

You mention Israel, I have been disappointed with 5 lives coverage. I appreciate it is difficult to get a spokesman for the Palestinians to provide their side and it would take too long to provide the historical context but they need to try harder to provide more balanced coverage as they seem to give more time to the likes of Israeli spokesman Mark Regev blaming the victims. The Your Call earlier in the week on Israel was a shambles, it was always going to turn into a shouting match putting supporters of the different sides on at the same time with neither side able to get their point across.

Despite having no interest in golf I actually enjoy coverage of the Open on 5 live. The difference with this and the World Cup coverage is that with the football too many hours were just filled with repetitive discussion. I will also listen to the Commonwealth Games, as with so many events there will be enough going on to fill the time with actual reporting rather than pundits going over and over the same discussion topics.
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Stephen Nolan on three times today, 12-13.00, 17-19.00 and 22.00-01.00
  • Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Phil Ander wrote: »

Phil,

Yes I did listen to John Pinaar, and it was indeed the sort of programme that I want to hear on a more regular basis. Not all the time obviously, but more often than at the moment.

I also take your point about being a bit harsh on 5 Live. My point was not well put - what I was trying to say was that there are a lot of channels out there offering rolling news, so why does 5 live try and go down that route as well. The sort of pointless speculation that I am complaining about is an inevitable part of that kind of offering, but there are other types on news coverage that can be provided.
This discussion has been closed.