Options

Is this a ploy to get us to reduce the price?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
Forum Member
Hi all, Just over three weeks ago our estate agent called us to say a couple wanted to come and view our house. First time buyers.

They came for their first viewing, and whilst they were here they were telling us how much they loved the house, said it was pretty much perfect for them and in the area they wanted as well.

Few days later we got feedback from our agent. The couple told the agent that it was their dream house, ticked all the right boxes and the price was a big factor as it was cheaper than all the others they had seen. They booked a second viewing.

Second viewing went just as well, they told us what they loved about the house and that they were excited about it.

Again the agent called with great feedback saying the couple said they were on the verge of making an offer but wanted to come back for a third viewing.

Third viewing went well, they stayed for an hour, went round saying the same things as before, they loved the floors, the kitchen, the fire etc etc.

Today we get a call from the agent saying they are not going to put in an offer because there is way too much work that needs done on the house, the agent asked what work needed doing and they refused to answer, they ended the call saying there will be no further interest from them.

Just a bit confused here to be honest, are they time wasters or trying to get us to reduce the price for all the "work" that needs doing?

I will be on later to answer any replies, I have to go out now.. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    EBD3000EBD3000 Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My opinion is that they got cold feet and didn't want to just say they didn't want it so made up an excuse.
  • Options
    chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a bit bizarre that they won't put an offer in as there is too much work - there is nothing stopping them putting in a lower offer.

As EBD3000 says, maybe they got cold feet.
  • Options
    battlezonebattlezone Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time wasters IMO. The agent is working for you so should be telling you WTF they whinged about!
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They got cold feet and lied.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Property equivalent of tyre kickers (brick kickers?)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    EBD3000 wrote: »
    My opinion is that they got cold feet and didn't want to just say they didn't want it so made up an excuse.

I'm with this ....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Property equivalent of tyre kickers (brick kickers?)

They are called light flickers in the trade apparently.People who just look round houses but have no genuine interest in buying it.It sounds like what these guys were.

I would probe the estate agent more though as they are working for YOU!

Plus I dont think them seeming suddenly uninterested in the property would get you to reduce the price!
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for "they got cold feet" here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people do this as a hobby!!!
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She Devil wrote: »
    Hi all, Just over three weeks ago our estate agent called us to say a couple wanted to come and view our house. First time buyers.

It's not unusual for a buyer to appear very keen, but ultimately not proceed. Nor is the fact that they didn't elaborate on exactly what needs to be done necessarily suspicious. Only recently I viewed a property twice. As far as the location, layout, decor and price were concerned it was perfect, however it had one issue that I could not get past. It wasn't something I'd be able to change, so I had to decide: can I live with it or not? I decided I couldn't. I've also had experiences of giving an Agent what I thought was constructive criticism, only for them to give me a "You're kidding right?!" response, which made me feel petty, even though it was my bloody money on the line. If they've had this, they may simply feel un-easy about saying what they think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    Could I just add to this that all estate agents are legitimised crooks out for themselves only and its far better to go with your own instinct than listen to these under qualified buffons.

I feel better now
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do get some prospective house buyers who are totally unrealistic about what they can actually afford.
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    You do get some prospective house buyers who are totally unrealistic about what they can actually afford.

This. I'm about 15 mins walk from the station which has trains running every 5/10mins to Waterloo for a journey that's about 19mims. Now, the number of people that complain it's too far from that station is unreal. I've pointed out there are 4 bus services that run every 5 mins or so and the bus stop is about 2 mins away, but no, it's a deal breaker. The fact is if my place was nearer the station, it would be another 20k more, which they can't afford and is why they are looking at mine.
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Timewasters I imagine, and/or got cold feet. My chum is selling a graded house with lots of room, grazing and and stables. Estate agent has brought rounds people who fedback it's too big, too much land, in the country, didn't want stables, yada yada.
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This. I'm about 15 mins walk from the station which has trains running every 5/10mins to Waterloo for a journey that's about 19mims. Now, the number of people that complain it's too far from that station is unreal. I've pointed out there are 4 bus services that run every 5 mins or so and the bus stop is about 2 mins away, but no, it's a deal breaker. The fact is if my place was nearer the station, it would be another 20k more, which they can't afford and is why they are looking at mine.

And someone else will say 'it's too noisy, too much traffic'!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We sold recently and I wish I had a fiver for ever buyer we had like this. Two of our friends also sold and they had the same. I just don't know why people do and it drives me mad that people don't leave proper feedback.
  • Options
    fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At all stages of the house selling process you will encounter time wasters and worse.

Prepare yourself for a rollercoaster of a ride and don't assume anything until everything is finalised.

My dad once 'sold' his house to a cash buyer - what he didn't know was that person was 'buying' two houses - my dad's house was his second choice so, when his first choice was finalised, he dropped the purchase of my dad's house (he was rich and could afford the solicitor's fees). The whole chain collapsed of course, many people upset and out of pocket.

Nice eh?
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toggler wrote: »
    And someone else will say 'it's too noisy, too much traffic'!!

Apparently my road was 'too bendy'! It was just an ordinary road of semi-detached houses with a gentle curve.
  • Options
    galenagalena Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member
    IME whenever potential housebuyers start to mess you about things never really look up after that. Tell them to get lost!
  • Options
    fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they suddenly came up with an offer I certainly wouldn't accept it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could I just add to this that all estate agents are legitimised crooks out for themselves only and its far better to go with your own instinct than listen to these under qualified buffons.

I feel better now

To counter this. We sold recently and the agents we used were BRILLIANT! So much so that we bought them loads of chocs for the office to share. It is ridiculous to tar a whole profession just because you personally have had a bad experience!
  • Options
    kizziekizzie Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    Ray Jar80 wrote: »
    They are called light flickers in the trade apparently.People who just look round houses but have no genuine interest in buying it.It sounds like what these guys were.

I would probe the estate agent more though as they are working for YOU!

Plus I dont think them seeming suddenly uninterested in the property would get you to reduce the price!

No it doesn't those types of people only visit the once

They are probably just to embarrassed to say why they don't want it now.
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would guess they are trying to get you to drop the price but I don't know why they didn't just try a lower offer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    battlezone wrote: »
    The agent is working for you

Would be nice but an agent is always working in their own best interests, which are not necessarily aligned with yours.

They're on commission; and in a rising market then yes - an estate agent will pull out all the stops to get the best possible price for your property.

But we're not in a rising market; we're in a very stagnant, difficult market, so an estate agent will pull out all the stops to get any price for your property.
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DaleRDS wrote: »
    Would be nice but an agent is always working in their own best interests, which are not necessarily aligned with yours.

They're on commission; and in a rising market then yes - an estate agent will pull out all the stops to get the best possible price for your property.

But we're not in a rising market; we're in a very stagnant, difficult market, so an estate agent will pull out all the stops to get any price for your property.
    And then bulldoze you into accepting the offer.