Options

Derren Brown - The Experiments

InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
Forum Member
✭✭
Derren's new series starts 21st October.

Theme seems to be he will be talking people into doing things they normally wouldn't do. Seems similar to 'The Heist' but taking it a step further.

One of the episodes.. might be the first one, involves trying to talk someone into killing someone, ie, exploring the theory that some of the assassinations of the past were conducted by people who had been effectively hypnotised into committing the act.

The advert rocks.

Comments

• Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hope they at least have some convincing actors this time
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    I'm a huge Derrren fan but I think his live shows are far better than his experiments.
  • Options
    JaCkT794JaCkT794 Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was hugely disappointed with the one where the bloke had to "fly" the plane but it turned out to be a bloody stimulator.

Before some smart arse replies with "well what did you expect?" I expected not to be falsely mislead by Nazi Channel 4
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll just be a smart-arse and say that, as far as the participant was concerned, he was in a plane 30,000 feet in the air and, clearly, scared s**tless which made his bravery just as genuine had he been flying a real plane.
  • Options
    andy12345andy12345 Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Out of all Derren's 'specials' i think the heist is my favorite so I should enjoy this.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems similar to 'The Heist' but taking it a step further.
    Or the one where he makes a woman kill a kitten. (Think it was part of Trick or Treat.)
    JaCkT794 wrote: »
    I was hugely disappointed with the one where the bloke had to "fly" the plane but it turned out to be a bloody stimulator.
    For me he's never recovered from the lottery fiasco. (Not that I was much of a fan before.)
    One of the episodes.. might be the first one, involves trying to talk someone into killing someone, ie, exploring the theory that some of the assassinations of the past were conducted by people who had been effectively hypnotised into committing the act.
    That's part of why I'm not a fan. He crosses the line in terms of pretending his tricks are real.
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    Or the one where he makes a woman kill a kitten. (Think it was part of Trick or Treat.)

For me he's never recovered from the lottery fiasco. (Not that I was much of a fan before.)

That's part of why I'm not a fan. He crosses the line in terms of pretending his tricks are real.

I might be wrong, because I haven't seen all of his shows, but doesn't Derren Brown describe himself as 'an illusionist'? Surely if that is the case, then he is not pretending his tricks are real.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every illusionist pretends their tricks are real. That's the whole point!!! Surely we all already know what to expect with his shows?

I thought the lottery one was quite good. We all had lots of fun on here working it out, if I remember...
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to this. Usually enjoy his shows and 'Trick or Treat' is probably my favourite to date.
  • Options
    wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    I might be wrong, because I haven't seen all of his shows, but doesn't Derren Brown describe himself as 'an illusionist'? Surely if that is the case, then he is not pretending his tricks are real.
    He says he performs illusions that look like tricks using psychology, when in fact he performs illusions that look like psychology using tricks.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    His disclaimer at the beginning of pretty much all his shows should be enough for anyone of even modest intelligence to know not to blindly trust anything they subsequently see. People who cry foul when they realise they've been "tricked" only have themselves to blame.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His disclaimer at the beginning of pretty much all his shows should be enough for anyone of even modest intelligence to know not to blindly trust anything they subsequently see. People who cry foul when they realise they've been "tricked" only have themselves to blame.

What about the disclaimer at the bottom of the screen, along the lines that "no stooges or actors are used in this programme"....can we take that at face value?
  • Options
    ausfunausfun Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alls I know is that even though Ive been to Derren Browns stage show, read his books, seen every single one of his shows (I kid you not, there isn't one I havent seen) .... I have been hugely disappointed by his last several offerings. The Lottery was a complete disaster. The guy doing the flight simulator was a massive let down.

The one thing that gives me hope with this is I think he's at his strongest when he's doing these 'experiment' type things. ie the Heist was probably his best piece of work, even the build up to it where they are stealing petty things from a shop.

So I will give him the benefit of the doubt but he needs to pull something out the bag to redeem himself.
  • Options
    hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up on this new series! I loved the heist so hopefully it's like that. I thought the last few things he did - the roulette wheel/lottery and what have you weren't that great, but love watching him anyway, so I'll be tuning in for this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ausfun wrote: »
    ............... The Lottery was a complete disaster...........

It was never going to be a great success; it would be impossible for him to show the winning numbers before the draw, though there are ways he could have made an illusion of doing so (e.g. delay on the TV showing the draw, showing a recording of a previous draw). These methods would have worked for about...oh...three minutes.

So he had to "record" the numbers without the audience seeing them, and reveal them after the draw.

He could have placed the cards with the numbers on into a black briefcase, and left it by a black curtain at the unlit rear of the stage (as he has so often before), but he chose to use trick camera work.

It was an illusion, which worked for a while, but it was always going to be one which could be revealed by studying recordings.

So an illusion which worked at the time, and generated a lot of interest - was it a disaster?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^I'm not sure what you mean by "worked at the time". I know of not a single person who actually ever dared think he had correctly predicted the lottery numbers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    It was never going to be a great success; it would be impossible for him to show the winning numbers before the draw, though there are ways he could have made an illusion of doing so (e.g. delay on the TV showing the draw, showing a recording of a previous draw). These methods would have worked for about...oh...three minutes.

So he had to "record" the numbers without the audience seeing them, and reveal them after the draw.

He could have placed the cards with the numbers on into a black briefcase, and left it by a black curtain at the unlit rear of the stage (as he has so often before), but he chose to use trick camera work.

It was an illusion, which worked for a while, but it was always going to be one which could be revealed by studying recordings.

So an illusion which worked at the time, and generated a lot of interest - was it a disaster?

You don't just choose to use video tricks to pull this stunt off ...... because that takes no skill whatsover. So yes I stand by the fact it was a complete disaster because there was so many easy ways to explain how he did it.

What he should have done was something like, write it down on a piece of paper (say a celeb who could confirm they werent in on it) ...... have them put it in his pocket and stand next to Derren during the draw. Then after the draw ask the celeb to pull out the paper and 'tadah!'

Then that would have been more successful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^I'm not sure what you mean by "worked at the time". I know of not a single person who actually ever dared think he had correctly predicted the lottery numbers.

Of course he hadn;t predicted the numbers, no-one could believe that....but did he create, for a while, the illusion that he had?
    You don't just choose to use video tricks to pull this stunt off ...... because that takes no skill whatsover. So yes I stand by the fact it was a complete disaster because there was so many easy ways to explain how he did it.

Ok, we'll have to disagree over whether it was a disaster. While it took no skill to carry out, it clearly took some skill to design it, and then skill on the part of the cameraman and the film editor.
  • Options
    Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member

Does anyone think at the time of watching any magician that they are really sawing the woman in half?

So the same could be said 'I don't know of one single person who watched it thought and thought the woman was really being killed.'

I'm obviously not getting something here. Magic is an entertainment and anyone who does think it's real is barking mad. Surly it's a thing to just watch and enjoy?
  • Options
    Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member

What he should have done was something like, write it down on a piece of paper (say a celeb who could confirm they werent in on it) ...... have them put it in his pocket and stand next to Derren during the draw. Then after the draw ask the celeb to pull out the paper and 'tadah!'

Then that would have been more successful.

Well in any trick and every trick on the planet, the general idea is that whatever method is used, the audience is not meant to know what it is and that is the only goal. Now of course some people find out or work out methods but that isn't the point. The point is that a magician can use anything under the sun to achieve the illusion that something has happened when it hasn't.

The viewer is no meant to know the workings and so judge the trick entirely on whether it entertained them or not. Your idea seems to be totally alien where you watch a trick, then before you state if you were entertained or not, you have to find out the secret or work out the secret and then assess how much 'skill' was involved before deciding if it was a good or bad trick.

The disclaimer at the start of Derren Brown's show tells everyone very clearly what is what. It states that using magic, psychology, illusion, hypnosis and misdirection he will pull of whatever it is he is doing. That means basically that just like any other magician he can use whatever he want, to make the trick happen.

Derren Brown, whilst extremely good at what he does, is just like any other magician and other magician's sure as hell employ anything they like to achieve the effect, yet it seems that some thing Derren Brown is not allowed to.

I really do think some just don't get magic as an entertainment and/or take it all far to seriously and act like it's their job to rid the planet of these people and sit in judgement over them.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As jsmith99 already posted:
    What about the disclaimer at the bottom of the screen, along the lines that "no stooges or actors are used in this programme"....can we take that at face value?

The flight sim debacle was riddled with actors and ridiculously unbelievable setups. Any defence about how he uses misdirection, hypnosis or other psychobabble methods is completely irrelevant when he claims he doesn't use actors or stooges, yet by watching the show it's blatantly obvious that he does.

Or is a completely scripted show with no spontaneity what-so-ever just another DB 'misdirection' ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of course he hadn;t predicted the numbers, no-one could believe that....but did he create, for a while, the illusion that he had?
    No, he did not. The lottery was drawn, the numbers officially announced, then Derren repeated them to us. As David Mitchell (I believe) said, his greatest feat was to read us the lottery numbers after they'd been drawn and somehow convince everyone to call that a "magic trick".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Neda_Turk wrote: »
    Does anyone think at the time of watching any magician that they are really sawing the woman in half?

So the same could be said 'I don't know of one single person who watched it thought and thought the woman was really being killed.'

I'm obviously not getting something here. Magic is an entertainment and anyone who does think it's real is barking mad. Surly it's a thing to just watch and enjoy?
    I was just confused by the assertion that it "worked at the time". To me for a trick to work there has to be genuine mystification of the audience at large, to really make it seem like the impossible had happened.. Derren read out the lottery numbers subsequent to them being drawn. From the overall response of the audience following the program's airing, ranging from indifference to disappointment, I wouldn't at all have ever qualified that trick as having "worked".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point with the lottery fiasco is that lets say he didnt use video trickery to do it ..... OK lets just assume that, the fact that the way the whole stunt worked meant he could easily have done that completely ruins it. A good magician should be able to do something whereby you are left going 'Wow! How did he manage to do that?' .... but from the very get go of the Lottery draw the possibility of video trickery was so obvious that it ruined the whole thing.