Options

Primeval; New World **Season One** (Canada Pace)

Primeval: New World, the Canadian spin-off to our very own cult drama featuring prehistoric beasts, temporal anomalies and time-jumping, premiered last night on Canada's Space network.

Media releases state the series which is now set in Vancouver allows new viewers to jump in without having had to watch the UK original. Nonetheless, it has been widely reported that stars from the UK original will make cameo / guest appearances and here's hoping that they also resolve some of the stories left open at the end of the last UK series.

Anyone already watched?? Ive already acquired and am looking forward to watching tonight. Always felt Primeval had loads more potential that was not realised properly or fully by the UK original. And the Canadians have a good track record when it comes to culty sci-fi shows so their treatment of the show could only make it better.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been trying all day Can't find an .avi. Agree it may get close to how we expected the UK version to be.Has Syfy UK bought it?
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    It was complete, utter rubbish. Truly the worst thing I have watched in a very long time. Badly written, badly acted (where did they find such talentless stiffs for the cast?), and super cheap. Makes the original Primeval look like the modern-day Battlestar Galactica. I'm always the guy who says "Watch and judge for yourself." Don't do that in this case. Avoid. As a Canadian I am embarrassed by this and would really prefer that nobody in the UK see it.:o
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    It was complete, utter rubbish. Truly the worst thing I have watched in a very long time. Badly written, badly acted (where did they find such talentless stiffs for the cast?), and super cheap. Makes the original Primeval look like the modern-day Battlestar Galactica. I'm always the guy who says "Watch and judge for yourself." Don't do that in this case. Avoid. As a Canadian I am embarrassed by this and would really prefer that nobody in the UK see it.:o

Ouch. That bad huh... :eek:
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Ouch. That bad huh... :eek:

I have quite possibly under-stated how bad it is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear! Got it now and was looking forward to it later this evening -. "Zane" from Eureka is in it. Will miss Ben Miller -loved his character.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Wow MT, this is a first! It must be bad if you're stating it! i have to check it out though! I had high hopes for Primeval, an idea with so much unrealised potential!
  • Options
    Jon McManamyJon McManamy Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Not quite sure what to make of that. For an opening episode it wasn't especially gripping, I'm a huge fan of Primeval and was quite excited for this because its Primeval although of course I'd prefer the UK version to have carried on but alas.
    Anyway yeah it just kind of plodded along nothing much happened the cast apart from Zane were completely unlikeable especially that park ranger woman and the CFO. Was nice to see Andrew Lee Potts though! I'm going to give it two more episodes as I always feel if a show doesn't grip you by then, then it never will. I'd say watch it but don't expect to be blown away
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Just watched...not a strong pilot I agree, but as a primeval viewer I wasn't especially disappointed in that this was more of the same. I though Canadian Primeval was the same as our Primeval only in a new location, a new cast with Zane from Eureka, and the fact that they are giving us an origin story in the setting up of a Canadian equivalent of the ARC.

I was disappointed in that with Primeval already having had five (UK) series, I would have thought they had enough there to be able to rework the story better for a fresh start. Other than Zane and our very own Andrew Lee Potts I found the new cast unlikeable. Hopefully I will warm to them as the series progresses.

Will come back for a few more episodes. In all fairness this was just the pilot, an introductory episode, which was especially boring no doubt for followers of Brit Primeval - with the pilot resultijng in nothing more than a repetitive recap of what we know already, but admiteddly they needed to do this for new viewers, especially considering this is being run as a seperate project.

Will be interesting to see Connor in a few more episodes, and at least tying British ARC with Canadian equivalent. I can't believe he gave them so little info on the anomalies etc. Hopefully they will put an agreement in place which will see them obtianing / exchanging info etc - something that will also help the plot pacen up - I would hate to think we have to go through building up the whole Primeval mythos again!

ADDENDUM: Do we know anything about Brit Primeval??? There was the possibility of the series continuing (especially if the Canadian version did well) and there was also the possibility of a Film version (would this be tied to the established story or would it be rebooted for film and in that be disconnected from Brit Primeval and Canadian Primeval>???)
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Whilst I would agree that this wasn't the strongest of pilots going, I wouldn't have said it was utter rubbish. I actually enjoyed it, even with a bunch of inconsistencies.

#1: The two Dinosaurs that appeared in the pilot; Pteranodon and Utahraptor. They both attacked people, yet only the Pteranodon seemed to actually eat anyone (more so, a persons organs).

The Pteranodon had a diet of fish; something far smaller than a person. There's no reason for a Pteranodon to eat a person up. I can understand the attack (territory and motherhood) but not the feasting.

Then the Utahraptor that only attacked people rather than eating them. Seems they've got the food chain backwards here. The Utahraptor should be the Dinosaur eating everyone, not the Pteranodon.

#2: These anomalies obviously aren't restricted to the UK; they'd be global. Why hasn't Canada already got a team on it? From the looks, this is their team starting up; they're already several years behind the UK research in the anomalies. It seems daft to think the UK is the only active government dealing with the situation, especially when these anomalies would be opening globally, thus other creatures would / should have been sighted as such.

#3: Ice Man Conner?
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »

I wouldn't go quite this far. Close, but I've seen worse:D

But, it wasn't good. Sadly as I had fairly high hopes. The first couple of series of UK Primeval were good and I had hoped a Canadian version would at least start out as good as the early days of the UK version.

Instead we get something as bad as the worst of UK Primeval but without characters that we care about & want to see what happens to them.

Normally I'll give a show a couple of episodes before making up my mind.......not this time:(
  • Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,331
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say it was the worse thing I'd seen, I wouldn't say it was WOW either. The thing is though that for most of us here we are watching this with the knowledge of the original series, which of course is now 5 seasons old. We know what the anomilies are and what they look like and what they bring.

We were watching a pilot of something we have already seen. I recently sat down and watched Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes back to back for the first time in ages, and found myself bemoaning the first episode of AtA for following the same old things as the first episode of LoM.

I certainly think they missed out on the opportunity of using Connor more, though he does seem to have joined some sort of new team, looking at his jacket badge. Plus if he knows they have anomilies, why isn't he carrying a gun himself? He has knowledge of the weaponry needed for the creatures, even if he's just wanting them to be sent back.

I'm going to keep with it for a while, to see if they move along with the story and develop it. However, they really do have to do more in terms of character development, with this team. Even the flash back at the end wasn't enough to stir any sort of reaction for them.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been trying all day Can't find an .avi. Agree it may get close to how we expected the UK version to be.Has Syfy UK bought it?

.avi & 720p .mkv versions are out there now
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The woman who plays Ange looks a lot like Erica Karpluk.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it.

Not sure how this series connects to the UK original, but methinks (1) Priveval - NEW WORLD might be a big clue ( :D ) and/or (2) going by the ending, and the presence of Connor I feel they're going to answer this question within the series itself.

With us only having one ep so far I'm not concerned with looking for inconsistencies - without this series (iiuc) the Primeval Universe would be dead so I'm in it for the long hawl and an intreged to see where they go with things.
  • Options
    PriliclaPrilicla Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it was ok. The cgi dinos are bit better. Toby is fit!
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not the greatest of starts but it had it's plus points.

The Dino's looked good and the twist at the end with Evan having the frozen body of an ARC agent (who saved his life five years previously) was intriguing.

I wonder if they are going to go a bit Timey Wimey and have the body being that of Connor, if not it will probably be Matt.

The acting needs to improve from most of the cast though.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I actually quite enjoyed it. It wasn't mind-blowing, or anything particularly new, but it was Primeval with all the ironed out cheesy nonsense. The show usually tries too hard to be cool, and with the exception of that bike introduction it fared a lot better.

Slight continuity issue with British Primeval, in that the anomalies were public news on a global scale at the end of Series 5. Seems to have been rebooted a bit there, but I guess I'd rather a quick error like that than Steven "Crack in the Wall" Moffat on Doctor Who ;)
    Vancouver looks the part, and the whole thing just felt refreshing. If they can keep the show from verging on too cheesy, and they can iron out the occasional bad CGI, and get an interesting ongoing plot going, then I think I may really enjoy this :):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slight continuity issue with British Primeval, in that the anomalies were public news on a global scale at the end of Series 5. Seems to have been rebooted a bit there, but I guess I'd rather a quick error like that than Steven "Crack in the Wall" Moffat on Doctor Who ;)

I started off being very "I need to know how this series connects to the uk original before I can start enjoying the show cos I'm all confused" but now I'm thinking they'll reveal how/if the shows are connected as the series progresses. And with the show having "New World" in the title, methinks different time line could play a part (not a stretch what with this series being a big timey liney show I know :D).

But I'm fairly certain it isn't set to follow right after the uk show (it ain't no Primeval Season 6).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to pretend it is just a new series set in the same universe as the UK Primeval but doesn't have to be directly related.

The only thing that will put me off the show is if it does too many 'Monster of the Week' episodes.

That is where the UK series went wrong.
  • Options
    fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen (and abandoned) several US sci-fi series recently that were worse than this. This version seemed to continue the UK Primeval tradition of being about people and dinosaurs chasing each other round otherwise empty parks and shopping malls. Anyone unfamiliar with the UK version who thinks this is going to be serious sci-fi is sure to be disappointed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I, too, am surprised at MT's withering attack on this series given that it's a Canadian series. It must be awful. Hi Spaintv :-).

I'm in HK this week but will find it at the weekend when I'm back home in KL and watch. I was never a great fan of the ITV show but I kept it up to the end so I'm vaguely intersted in this show.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I excused the first episode, after all they need to bring in a new audience - but I think the second ep was even worse.:cry:

I thought this series was supposed to be more "adult" than the UK version? I was hoping for a little complexity to the story lines or Walking Dead type drama. I know that can have various interpretations and if they took the torchwood route we'd simply get lots of butt shots rather than underwear shots, but there's not even that to distract me.

This doesn't seem much more than a simple re-boot telling the same tales with the same predictable plots and the only twist is the use of supermarionation rather than actors
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe all the adult stuff will come soon, now that they've "gathered" the new Primeval Anomoly(?) Fighting Team - ep2 seeing the Beast lady join the squad, adding to the Leader (Rich guy) Brains (Computer Lady), Brawn (English guy).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A MOTW episode. :(

Nothing much happened, same old, same old.

Anomaly opens, creature comes through, no one believes it is real, it kills a few innocents, they chase it and ever kill it or send it back through anomaly. :yawn:

This series needs a sense of purpose. Not just another MOTW and teasers in the last few mins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A MOTW episode. :(
    :confused:
    what would be the point of a tv-series containing doorways into the past+future if, each week, monsters weren't coming thru ?