Options

Are your GP receptionists friendly?

PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just called the Drs for an appt and it always amazes me how rude and uninterested they are. I know this is not an isolated surgery for it either. On the other side are there any GP receptionists here? Maybe you just have enough of patients on a daily basis but if that is the case surely you shouldn't be in a job with joe public.
What's everyones experiences?

Comments

• Options
    peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God, no. I thought it was a pre-requisite that all GP receptionists must be curt, rude and unfriendly.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GP receptionists have to deal with the detritus of society every single day of their working lives. I guess they have to act like bulldogs to be able to deal with the abuse they get!! :D

Having said that, the receptionists at the last two practices I've been a patient at have never been anything but friendly and helpful.
  • Options
    Glitterbug13Glitterbug13 Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    The receptionists in my doctors are all really nice. They've never been grumpy or snotty with me, I live in a chav town too so they must put up with a load of crap at times but they still smile when you speak to them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    In my experience they have always been dour and miserable.

My favourite was, when ringing for an appointment, she said "Are you actually ill?" No, I was just ringing for a chat!!
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    I think this is intentional to put off timewasters eg the worried well

I would say (especially in the winter) 30% arent sick they just have a cold or

various piddling ailments and waste the quacks time

when all they need to do is take a couple of paracetemal and wait a few days

about 60% of ailments are self limiting eg they get better all on there own

doctors dont tell you this of course as it gives a lie to the mythology of doctors project
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine are brilliant - probably because we are now two of few people they can speak English with without an interpreter.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    no. very rude.

They all are.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    They all are.

you've been to every GP's in the country then huh? :)

the receptionist at my GP's is lovely. they all are - they've always been really nice and friendly towards me whenever i've been - one of them probably pays more attention to me than the bloody GP herself does :)
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The phone is always engaged when I phone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    no. very rude.

They all are.

If you've found every single one of them rude, here's a thought:

The problem is you.
  • Options
    logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They always seem to be semi-retired part time older ladies who only do the job because they're at a loose end. It's a job that should be taken more professionally by those who do it. Considering they can be dealing with people who may be getting life shattering news i find they have an attitude that stinks.
  • Options
    TalizmanTalizman Posts: 2,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mate of mine used to be a receptionist at a local surgery and she told me when they start off in the job they are warned that although many 'customers' are friendly, a great deal will be nasty, impatient and will look to take it out on the first person they see as soon as they get to the surgery - and that's usually the receptionists.

She reckons she started off the job cheerful but due to the abuse she received after a month or two she had to develop tough skin in all the right places just to survive otherwise she would have had to leave. If an appointment isn't available for a few hours or days, or if the doctor hasn't signed off a repeat prescription yet it isn't the receptionist's fault however it seem like a lot of people treat them as if it is.

Not saying I think it's right or wrong but that's how it seems to be these days. Treat all 'customers' with suspicion regardless....
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    One of them is too nosey and she also tries to diagnose you over the phone, she also once gave me test results and told me that by looking at them everything was fine.

She is dangerous.
  • Options
    ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the whole, mine are not very friendly or helpful. But they've recently had a new member of the team who seems lovely and much better than the others. Maybe it wears you down over time...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine are really lovely
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At our surgery, the receptionists perform triage when you phone for an appointment. I don't blame them for it, because they've obviously been given orders from above, but I do object to them not accepting "it's a personal matter" as a valid reason.

There was also one time that I checked-in for an appointment, but the receptionist didn't mark me as having arrived. My GP does usually run a bit late, but when he hadn't called me after 40 minutes I went up to the desk - I hadn't actually been checked-in, and if I'd waited a few minutes longer my GP would have been away home. But see trying to get the receptionist to accept it was her fault...I'd have been better off calling her kids ugly.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    Most of ours are fine but they aren't brilliant at answering the phone in a timely manner.

I've witnessed when I've been present in the reception, there are about 5 people working in there normally and they'll ignore the phone that has been constantly ringing for about 10 minutes.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea, and l hope never to find out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - what's the difference between a GP's receptionist and a terrorist?

- sometimes you can negotiate with a terrorist
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is intentional to put off timewasters eg the worried well

I would say (especially in the winter) 30% arent sick they just have a cold or

various piddling ailments and waste the quacks time

when all they need to do is take a couple of paracetemal and wait a few days

about 60% of ailments are self limiting eg they get better all on there own

doctors dont tell you this of course as it gives a lie to the mythology of doctors project
    This is why they dreamed up NHS Direct. Of course they farmed it out privately, because employing one nurse to 10 minimum wagers with a flow-chart was bound to blow up in their faces, and then the idle govt could blame the company.
    The irony is that even one phone call was costing NHS Direct £7-9 apparently.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    This is why they dreamed up NHS Direct. Of course they farmed it out privately, because employing one nurse to 10 minimum wagers with a flow-chart was bound to blow up in their faces, and then the idle govt could blame the company.
    The irony is that even one phone call was costing NHS Direct £7-9 apparently.

The problem with NHS Direct is that they're over-cautious and end up recommending too many people either call an ambulance or go to A&E causing A&E departments massive problems because they then have to deal with all these unnecessary referrals.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last time I visited my local medical centre I ended up having to explain what my ailment was to the receptionist, in hearing distance of several other patients. It was embarrassing, and I told her so, which did not please her. When I went back later that day to collect a prescription, she just about threw the prescription sheet at me. She was unpleasant and unprofessional, and I hope she isn't there the next time I have to visit.
  • Options
    icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our friend is one at our doctors .I hope she doesn't tell everyone our weird problems like she tells us about other patients .
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    The problem with NHS Direct is that they're over-cautious and end up recommending too many people either call an ambulance or go to A&E
    You call someone under-qualified who might not be able to help you and end up sent to somewhere massively over-qualified and expensive because someone was scared of a headline like "ZOMG! Gran was told to take 2 paracetamol and was killed by teh killah BUG"
    Wouldn't it be nice if you could talk to someone pitched at the right level in the first place. Someone like, I don't know, a GP
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The receptionists at my GP are really are nice and polite.