Rihanna - The Queen of Pop

Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think after seeing sales figures, hype etc, Rihanna can now be called the reigning Queen of POP, She evolves through music, her tours make millions. Continuously big records sold every album is multi million sellers. And has massive endorsements. She doesn't even take a break and still sells music and keeps hype. With Katy and Gaga battling, it is still safe to say that Rihanna is....

THE NEW QUEEN OF POP CULTURE

Discuss.....

Comments

• Terry HesticlesTerry Hesticles Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    she has a lot of success and many hits and she's definitely a 'popular' pop star, but while Madonna still has a career, 55 or not, there will never be another Queen of Pop!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has good sales for sure but that's really about it. She hasn't really done anything particularly memorable imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Rihanna but no
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to agree i enjoy Rihanna but no apart from sales there is litte else that she has done to warrent the crown
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    No, Madonna will always be the queen of pop because of everything she's achieved.

Rihanna is doing really well though, especially at such a young age. I think her and her labels motto has basically to strike whilst the iron's hot and its certainly worked for her.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not while Madonna is still around she isn't. I'd say Katy is currently the princess of pop followed by Rihanna and then Gaga
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Rihanna to death but she is far from the queen of pop. She has had huge sales and hype, and made lots of money but she hasn't done anything really to stand the test of time or deserve the queen of pop title.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    No she isn't, Madonna is!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though her last two albums have been pretty mediocre, her previous body of work is superb and nobody performs live better than she does. She made excellent pop music, broke barriers and was innovative and dared to push the envelope. She laid the blueprint for the likes of Katy, Britney and Rihanna to follow. Very young music fans who didn't grow up with her are missing out if they don't buy her back catalogue and watch her tours and do a bit of research into her career so far. If they did then they would understand that she really is the queen of pop

I'm talking about Madonna BTW
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The album sales of Rihanna last 4 albums combined is way less than '21' by Adele.
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would put Katy Perry ahead of her if I am honest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna is the Queen, Kylie is the Princess

With Katy, Gaga, Britney, Christina, Mariah, Cyndi, Janet, Celine and RiRi as their loyal subjects
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She could be called the Queen of 'How many times can I re- release the same album"
    (Good Girl Gone Bad)
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rihanna is a lot more popular than Katy Perry and Lady GaGa. She has far more crossover appeal and has had more successful singles and eras than those two.

She's never been a massive album seller, but her singles are huge. You only have to look at her YouTube views to see that. She has a string of massive hits which make her comfortably more popular. She's definitely a Princess of Pop at the very least.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Rihanna is a lot more popular than Katy Perry and Lady GaGa. She has far more crossover appeal and has had more successful singles and eras than those two.

She's never been a massive album seller, but her singles are huge. You only have to look at her YouTube views to see that. She has a string of massive hits which make her comfortably more popular. She's definitely a Princess of Pop at the very least.

That doesn't work out though.

Katy has had 2 albums with a combined sales total of about 9m more than Rihanna's first two. She has had 7 US #1's and 11 top 10's out of a possible 12 singles. She has had two big tours hosted the EMA's and hass an equal crossover appeal and interest in her. That's with just 2 albums rihanna has had 8 and as many flops as hits. Plus Gaga and Katy have much more control and involvement. Rihanna is merely a puppet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    In terms of sales...

Rihanna Albums 7 - 30 million
    Singles 47!! - 150 million

Lady Gaga Albums 2 - 23 million
    Singles 17 - 64 million

Rihanna has had 4 years on Gaga, and has literally not stopped from day one, with an album a year, and constant appearances on what it would seem to be every song ever recorded in history. I definitely think she has the edge on Gaga in terms of constant hit singles, but it you were to imagine Gaga's numbers if she had had 5 more albums and 30 more singles....

You can't deny Gaga's ability to shift albums, if Artpop sells 7million she would have outsold Rihanna in just 3 albums (although it's unlikely that a November could pass by without a new Rihanna album) that's where the real money comes from. Not to mention Gaga makes a hell of a lot more money as she actually writes her music, hence why she was the most payed musician in a year she didn't release a thing.
  • rebellionrebellion Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LMAO, no!
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    TH14 wrote: »
    Even though her last two albums have been pretty mediocre, her previous body of work is superb and nobody performs live better than she does. She made excellent pop music, broke barriers and was innovative and dared to push the envelope. She laid the blueprint for the likes of Katy, Britney and Rihanna to follow. Very young music fans who didn't grow up with her are missing out if they don't buy her back catalogue and watch her tours and do a bit of research into her career so far. If they did then they would understand that she really is the queen of pop

I'm talking about Madonna BTW

My sentiments exactly!
  • Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget Geri Halliwell ;)
  • Andrew_DuncanAndrew_Duncan Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She could be called the Queen of 'How many times can I re- release the same album"
    (Good Girl Gone Bad)

She re-released it once. As did Katy perry with Teenage Dream and Gaga with The Fame/The Fame Monster (although in some countries, like the US, chart rules required them to be listed as two seperate releases).

Anyway, to determine a queen or princess of pop you really need to decide what factors you will base it on and whether it is worldwide or in a certain country/nation/whatever. In my opinion Rihanna, Katy and Gaga are nowhere near the those titles, they haven't been In the business long enough. I would say Rihanna is closest in terms of worldwide sucess, longevity and cultural impact(I mean in the sense of 'buzz', awareness etc.- I remember during the Loud era everyone was dying their hair red). She also has more of crossover appeal because she flip flops between pop & urban sounds unlike Katy perry who is pure pop. Gaga has still to cement herself in the world of music, she changed her musical identity on her last album so I'm unsure of who she appeals to at large. As born this way sold less than half of her first albums sales I think Artpop is the album that will either cement her place in the industry or will show she is a fading star. Beyonce, for me, isn't near that status either as personally I think she's more hype-she's super talented but her back catalogue isn't really that impressive.

Also, to the person who mentioned Adele, one über successful era does not equal princess or queen of pop.

The three are all very successful and they all outshine each other in different areas and that's great.

Oh and you can't compare Rihannas and Katy's first two albums. Katy perry and Gaga debuted with massive hits and huge eras whereas Rihannas was a gradual build up and she exploded on her third album. Katy, Gaga and Rihanna also use very different promo strategies - with Rihannas latest strategy being to do as little as possible.

Before anyone, particularly stans, jump on my post this is merely my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She re-released it once. As did Katy perry with Teenage Dream and Gaga with The Fame/The Fame Monster (although in some countries, like the US, chart rules required them to be listed as two seperate releases).

Anyway, to determine a queen or princess of pop you really need to decide what factors you will base it on and whether it is worldwide or in a certain country/nation/whatever. In my opinion Rihanna, Katy and Gaga are nowhere near the those titles, they haven't been In the business long enough. I would say Rihanna is closest in terms of worldwide sucess, longevity and cultural impact(I mean in the sense of 'buzz', awareness etc.- I remember during the Loud era everyone was dying their hair red). She also has more of crossover appeal because she flip flops between pop & urban sounds unlike Katy perry who is pure pop. Gaga has still to cement herself in the world of music, she changed her musical identity on her last album so I'm unsure of who she appeals to at large. As born this way sold less than half of her first albums sales I think Artpop is the album that will either cement her place in the industry or will show she is a fading star. Beyonce, for me, isn't near that status either as personally I think she's more hype-she's super talented but her back catalogue isn't really that impressive.

Also, to the person who mentioned Adele, one über successful era does not equal princess or queen of pop.

The three are all very successful and they all outshine each other in different areas and that's great.

Oh and you can't compare Rihannas and Katy's first two albums. Katy perry and Gaga debuted with massive hits and huge eras whereas Rihannas was a gradual build up and she exploded on her third album. Katy, Gaga and Rihanna also use very different promo strategies - with Rihannas latest strategy being to do as little as possible.

Before anyone, particularly stans, jump on my post this is merely my opinion.

I'm sorry but you're wrong, she re- released it about three times as my friend who is an avid Rihanna fan has them all in front of her her right now - just to prove a point:eek:
  • Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rihanna is the biggest popster on the planet. FACT!!
  • GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think Rihanna needs to go away for a little while, even just to test her superstardom and give herself a much-needed rest, and make a big comeback single/album campaign starter, create the buzz that Roar and Applause are creating now. I think Rihanna is underrated in the sense she really doesn't get enough credit for just the amount of work she does. She's constantly going and I genuinely believe it's all her, not management pushing her to it, it's probably the other way around actually and her sales are seriously impressive. Queen of Pop, no, but she has done enough to be remembered at this stage. It's not just lasting 8 years, it's the amount of work she's done in that 8 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bring back Pon De Replay days because some of her stuff in my own opinion is total @#$€
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lewi26 wrote: »
    Rihanna is the biggest popster on the planet. FACT!!

She isn't..FACT