Options

Immigration spouse visa advice

blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
Forum Member
✭✭✭
May i have some advise for a relative please:

Basically he is not married yet but his parents have found him a suitable partner in Pakistan to marry. He is in agreement with this and wishes to go ahead. He is in his late twenties so is the potential partner.

However, he is type one diabetic and also has an allergy to gluten. Therefore it is not favoured that he goes to Pakistan to meet the partner although have spoken on the phone and have seen pictures of each other. He was told that he would have had to have met his potential partner at least once but due to the his gluten allergy this is quite difficult. He has been advised by his diabetic consultant it would't be wise to travel as he would not be able to source gluten-free foods that he relies on to control his condition and the doctor is willing to put this into writing.

The second thing is because of a multiple of reasons he doesn't work right now. He has completed university but because of his varying health issues its difficult for him to commit to a full time job as he has good/bad days with his health. So he isn't working at all but is in reciept of Disabilty living allowance and i believe he has £3,000 in savings also. He is not on any other benefits.

So basically anyone advise what are the options for my relative. I have heard of a minimum of 18k per year, but i am guessing he'd only earn that if he was in full time employment for at least six months. Is it not possible that he can use his savings to support his spouse? and as he cannot travel he does not have to meet her in person (apparently a requirement).

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wishes to bring into the country a person he has never met and who he cannot support financially ?

I'm not usually the Daily Mail type but WTF.

>:(
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sargeant80 wrote: »
    He wishes to bring into the country a person he has never met and who he cannot support financially ?

With a very traditional background which means the women is unlikely to ever work and the potential husband will be the breadwinner.

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that
  • Options
    nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only in the UK!!
  • Options
    TweenyTweeny Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    I think your relative has left it too late. There is no open doors policy these day unlike in the past where the scenario that you are describing was acceptable.
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend's son married a Thai girl and they were not allowed to collect tax credits or anything whilst her Visa application was going through. He was working full time but they had to prove that he could take care of her financially without relying on the state before they would even consider giving her a visa. It was not a quick, straightforward process. So if your friend is not able to work or provide for his new bride, I would imagine the chances of him getting a visa for her is virtually nil.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an arranged marriage. Thought i'd confirm that for anyone wondering. Quite the norm considering the culture my relative is from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sargeant80 wrote: »

Please remember its an arranged marriage and culturally this is quite the norm.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely he could avoid gluten by simply by eating fresh fruit and veg and meat ?
    I am at a loss to know why he cant control his diabetes enough to work and to travel ?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a reason why she wouldn't come here on a tourist visa for the meeting?

If he could afford to go to Pakistan, but couldn't go for health reasons, surely he could afford to pay for her return flight?
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Two friends of mine are coeliacs, they have travelled the world.

I doubt a doctor would say they can't travel.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Basically he is not married yet but his parents have found him a suitable partner in Pakistan to marry. He is in agreement with this and wishes to go ahead. He is in his late twenties so is the potential partner.

However, he is type one diabetic and also has an allergy to gluten. Therefore it is not favoured that he goes to Pakistan to meet the partner although have spoken on the phone and have seen pictures of each other. He was told that he would have had to have met his potential partner at least once but due to the his gluten allergy this is quite difficult. He has been advised by his diabetic consultant it would't be wise to travel as he would not be able to source gluten-free foods that he relies on to control his condition and the doctor is willing to put this into writing.

The second thing is because of a multiple of reasons he doesn't work right now. He has completed university but because of his varying health issues its difficult for him to commit to a full time job as he has good/bad days with his health. So he isn't working at all but is in reciept of Disabilty living allowance and i believe he has £3,000 in savings also. He is not on any other benefits.

So basically anyone advise what are the options for my relative. I have heard of a minimum of 18k per year, but i am guessing he'd only earn that if he was in full time employment for at least six months. Is it not possible that he can use his savings to support his spouse? and as he cannot travel he does not have to meet her in person (apparently a requirement).

Thanks in advance
    If he can't work due to his poor health, why does he consider this an appropriate time to offer marriage to this girl?

Wouldn't it be wiser for him to get his health concerns under control, get out to work, earn/save some money and then proceed?

Why do her family consider a sick, poor guy a good marriage prospect for their daughter?
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your relative should emigrate to Pakistan. There, that was easy, wasn't it?

Why would it be hard to go gluten free in Pakistan? Rice is gluten free
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    If he can't work due to his poor health, why does he consider this an appropriate time to offer marriage to this girl?

Wouldn't it be wiser for him to get his health concerns under control, get out to work, earn/save some money and then proceed?

Why do her family consider a sick, poor guy a good marriage prospect for their daughter?

More benefits probably and be able to control the poor girls life.

Does she speak English OP?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an arranged marriage. Thought i'd confirm that for anyone wondering. Quite the norm considering the culture my relative is from.

Why can't he go and live in Pakistan with his new bride.

He can't of course, no free health care or benefits system.

I believe the new visa rules won't allow this anyway, the partner has to be able to support the new immigrant.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    The taxpayers in Britain don't want to pay for him and his foreign wife (to be) lifestyle choices,and I sincerely hope they never have to
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

However, he is type one diabetic and also has an allergy to gluten. Therefore it is not favoured that he goes to Pakistan to meet the partner although have spoken on the phone and have seen pictures of each other.
    No reason and nothing to stop her from coming here to meet him though. :confused:

Not a hope in Hell.....and that's putting it bluntly!!

Look at the BIB i've highlighted. Do you really believe anyone in your relatives position would be able to financially support someone on those kind of figures? :o:o

£3k in savings won't go anywhere. In fact some people will easily go through that amount keeping and maintaining a dog.......but he's intending to keep a human being!! :o:o I've just spent more than that on a couple of plastic doors and windows FGS!! :o:o

The fact he has no means of regular income other than DLA will simply get an instant refusal from the Immigration Office.

Sorry but this is one 'marriage' that just isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    No reason and nothing to stop her from coming here to meet him though. :confused:

Not a hope in Hell.....and that's putting it bluntly!!

Look at the BIB i've highlighted. Do you really believe anyone in your relatives position would be able to financially support someone on those kind of figures? :o:o

£3k in savings won't go anywhere. In fact some people will easily go through that amount keeping and maintaining a dog.......but he's intending to keep a human being!! :o:o I've just spent more than that on a couple of plastic doors and windows FGS!! :o:o

The fact he has no means of regular income other than DLA will simply get an instant refusal from the Immigration Office.

Sorry but this is one 'marriage' that just isn't going to happen.

I'm sure you are right, the way it should be.

He could of course marry a British wife of the same ethnicity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why isn't he claiming ESA and housing benefit? Surely this would bump up his income.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, it's not not the norm! Especially when you take into consideration that this is 21st Century England. Perhaps, rather than bringing yet another foreign scrounger over here, he should go over there. After all, it's hardly difficult to eat a gluten free diet in Pakistan.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Please remember its an arranged marriage and culturally this is quite the norm.

The post you quoted was nothing against or even about arranged marriage. It was about the fact he can't afford to support her.
    And sorry, but the gluten free thing stopping him travelling is rubbish.
  • Options
    maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As culture is the issue due to the arranged marriage bit I thought such families were close and therefore they could pay for girl to come over on tourist visa and then see how it goes.
    But as others have said your friend cannot support the marriage so why the rush ?
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since the parents arranged the marriage they should arrange the financial aspects too. If they can't afford to provide enough money for him to seem able to support a wife then they should alter their ideas and make an arrangement they can afford.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In answer to your question OP, his best option is to get married in Pakistan then for her to apply for a visa over there. I assume they are going to be living with his parents which they own the house, has space for both of them and you will need proof that his parents are OK with the arrangement.

Unless she has a degree level qualification, her chances of getting a visa will be greatly increased by being him being able to prove that he has the funds to support both of them. And don't forget she won't be able to claim benefits either. This basically means he needs to really get a job even if its in the family business or something.

Others have advised on his medical situation and asked why he can't work. Bottom line is simple, if he is really serious about this arrangement then he make some changes.

I would really advise him to speak to a immigration lawyer where he will hear the same message.
  • Options
    keeziekeezie Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    They have no chance.

My husband and I have been through hell trying to get his spouse visa. It was refused initially and we finally won after a first tier tribunal case and an upper tribunal case where I had to take a week old baby with me.

Although we have won in January we are still waiting for the visa, 2 years of his life wasted, and we far exceed the financial requirements and as a international student in this country my husband pumped thousands of pounds into university. Home office are assholes luckily the judges have more sense.

However in this case I think this would be a piss take to award a visa. I had to work to the day I gave birth for the financial requirements as they would not count my husbands money as income.
  • Options
    dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may be culturally acceptable in Pakistan but remember you're in Britain where the customs are different. He wants to attend an arranged marriage then go over there, why should we have more immigrants here who don't follow the British way of life.
    Dave