LCD / Plasma Quality In The Likes Of Comet

hi

went to look at getting a new lcd / plasma tv today.
the quality of the different tv's was quite shocking, the guy in comet said it was because they only have one signal coming in and that has to be split between 40 TV's. That didnt really answer my question though as two tv's next to each other had differing picture quality, but he maintained if i hooked it up to my sky or freeview the quality would be second to none..

was he spilling me a crock of the brown stuff..??

Comments

• russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many stores have differing set ups. Some stores may well still have a split RF feed serving all their TVs, and in that case some TVs will get a better picture than others. If you want to compare PQs the best bet is to try a store with a better set-up.
  • skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are running freeview from their own tuner the picture quality should be representative of the general quality of the set.
    Some will look much better using a HD source than others. probably because they are not doing justice to an SD signal in the first place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    funnily enough the best quality was the most expensive one hooked up solely to a Sky HD box..

all the others were showing rugby on bbc from one single feed split
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    Ops_Monkey wrote:
    funnily enough the best quality was the most expensive one hooked up solely to a Sky HD box..

Presumably that was showing HD then?, it will obviously wipe the floor with the other SD pictures. That's no comparison though!.

all the others were showing rugby on bbc from one single feed split

Basically you need to see the sets side by side on the same picture, and at a decent signal quality - if the shop can't do that, don't bother trading there!. What you will tend to see (in general) is that the cheap sets have far poorer pictures than the more expensive ones!. If you can find a cheap set with a good picture, it should stand out!.