Options

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2012

Comments

• Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't argue with Wiggo. Nice for a Wigan fan to win something, I suppose.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    kate middleton isn't "ghastly" she's stunning.
    Shame she resorted to a split leg dress.

I mean how dare she?! :mad: :rolleyes: :p
  • Options
    sporter92sporter92 Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have 3 gold medalist in the top three.

3) Murray won a Grand Slam for first time in 75 plus years, an Olympic Gold and Silver and he got to a Wimbledon Final.
    2) Ennis won Heptathlon Gold therefore was best in 7 sports
    1) Wiggins was the first British Tour de France Winner and also won Gold.

Why are people disputing these top three in 2012 after the year of sport
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The right result I thought but I'd have put Mo Farah third. But really this year there couldn't really be a wrong result, whoever won.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Can't argue with Wiggo. Nice for a Wigan fan to win something, I suppose.

Yeah it is not as if their rugby league team is used to winning trophies or anything is it? ;)
  • Options
    Fred FlintstoneFred Flintstone Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did they know Murray would be third or did they have a complete set in Miami just in case he won or came second?
  • Options
    allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    tasker wrote: »
    Did the BBC forget about Dan Wheldon and Marco Simoncelli in the obituaries then :mad:

They died last year, so they would have been included in last year's SPOTY obituaries.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Andagha wrote: »
    I'm glad he won :D His wife is in tears bless her :D

And he bought the Tour de France back to 2014 :D

My mum kept saying that Wiggins' wife looked bloody miserable until he won the trophy. Well done to him but Mo did the long-distance double, had everyone on their feet & wasn't in the top 3. Ridiculous!!
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it is not as if their rugby league team is used to winning trophies or anything is it? ;)

You are right. I forgot their hubcap win this year.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was there any explanation as to why Team GB/Paraliympics GB were given the award in a category they were excluded by the rules from?
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed that and the correct winner too imo.

Hard to argue with any top 3, out of those 3 and Farrah.
    kate middleton isn't "ghastly" she's stunning.
    This. Some usual miserable sods were out in force on this thread again I see. :D
  • Options
    biggeralbiggeral Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did they know Murray would be third or did they have a complete set in Miami just in case he won or came second?

Did they also have a complete set for Chris Hoy or Rory McIlroy in case they won or came 2nd/3rd?
  • Options
    sporter92sporter92 Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it says in the same article on BBC Sport online where it says it excludes Team GB/Paralympics GB
    that The Panel also had the right to amend the criteria for the main award (as well as the Overseas Sports Personality of the Year, Team of the Year and/or Coach of the Year) should there be unanimous agreement amongst panel members to do so
  • Options
    Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct winner for me, Wiggo showed a lot of class by celebrating his Olympic win with his family.

Mo should be third though.
  • Options
    ChowderHeadChowderHead Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    mo should have been 2nd at least.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sporter92 wrote: »
    But it also says that the judges have the right to overturn the rules if the majority agree and obviously they did.

Ahh, so there you have it folks. Next year keep your money in your pockets, because the panel decides who wins what anyway.
  • Options
    Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sporter92 wrote: »
    it says in the same article on BBC Sport online where it says it excludes Team GB/Paralympics GB
    that The Panel also had the right to amend the criteria for the main award (as well as the Overseas Sports Personality of the Year, Team of the Year and/or Coach of the Year) should there be unanimous agreement amongst panel members to do so

So what's the point in setting out some rules then saying they can be amended?
  • Options
    TrueGangstaTrueGangsta Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disgraceful BBC a double gold medal winner does not even get third place. must be because he's not british enough for you guys. How much time did they leave to promote bradley wiggins and jessica ernis but about only 5 mins on mo? well done hwat a fix crap show this was lost all credibility :mad:
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Bradley was the right winner for me and I didn't even cast a vote. :)
  • Options
    ChowderHeadChowderHead Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Disgraceful BBC a double gold medal winner does not even get third place. must be because he's not british enough for you guys. How much time did they leave to promote bradley wiggins and jessica ernis but about only 5 mins on mo? well done hwat a fix crap show this was lost all credibility :mad:

Disgraceful BBC? It's the public that vote so how is it fixed. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mo should have been 2nd at least.
    At the end of the day, no athlete 'should' have come in any position, because the positions aren't decided on any form of actual merit, they're decided on public profile and popularity. Wiggins, Murray and Ennis are more popular than Mo. This is proved by the fact they came higher but that's all it proves.

The idea any one of them deserves the award because of who they are or what they've done is fallacy. The ones that get voted for most win. That's all there is to it. And that's all it means.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know it's public who vote but its them who decided to name jessica ernis the poster girl and giver her a extra long interview while mo got only 5 mins and a bye bye. :mad: What message does that exactly send to a long distance runner win 2 gold medles but the public dont care because its all about the bbc poster girls getting the awards before you. :eek:
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elan Morin wrote: »
    You don't need 2 gold medals to make your life complete.

I am certainly more happy and content in my life than many folks here in britian.

And i certainly pander to no one. I have my own personality and proud of where i come from and do not strip away parts of myself to make others love me.

which can't be said for farah. And it got him nowhere tonight

Well done - give yourself a medal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The losers BBC promoted jessica Ernis and wiggo all night by talking about them consistently while Mo was hardly mentioned. shame on them for fixing result like this. Public only votes for what they are shown in short amount of time and the editing job was only made for one result. shame on Mo that the organisors hate him so much. :(
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member

Actually, if I had of wasted money voting, Mo wouldn't have got my vote. I remember reading that he thought he was a shoo in to win and arrogance doesn't win votes imo.