A UNIT question

UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was under the impression that UNIT stood for United Nation's Intelligence Taskforce. Last night I thought I heard it described as the unified task force. Did I hear wrong?

Comments

• Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they changed name after they became a more military style taskforce
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, you didn't hear wrong. And you're right, it used to stand for United Nation's Intelligence Taskforce and now stands for UNified Intelligence Taskforce. They changed it because the real United Nations weren't happy about it.
  • James_DoyleJames_Doyle Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Sorry if this has been asked/answered in other topics, but how was it resolved regarding UNIT v Zygon UNIT? The last scene I saw was Osgood giving Zygon Osgood her inhaler.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if this has been asked/answered in other topics, but how was it resolved regarding UNIT v Zygon UNIT? The last scene I saw was Osgood giving Zygon Osgood her inhaler.

Welcome to the forum.

Please make your second post here; my threads are sinking like gangsters in concrete shoes.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1913264
  • Simon_FostonSimon_Foston Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    No they changed name after they became a more military style taskforce

They were a military style taskforce right from their first appearance in 1968. It's only in the last couple of UNIT appearances that the scientists appear to have taken over.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

It wasn't resolved. Presumably once they made their compromise plans, having each considered the problem from the other's viewpoint, they or the Doctor can easily test for the real Zygons and put everything back.

The inhaler scene was to show that the two Osgoods knew which one was which, but deliberately chose not to let on, showing that the Doctors' plan was working.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They were a military style taskforce right from their first appearance in 1968. It's only in the last couple of UNIT appearances that the scientists appear to have taken over.

That's all thanks to Kate Stewart who took her father's advice that "science should lead" or wtte
  • sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always wondered why they couldn't just call it Unified Nations
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    serton wrote: »

Its still owned by the UN I think and therefore they don't want to call it anything to compromise this. In the Poison Sky Colonel Mace says that the Valiant is now owned by the UN but it is quite clear that it is a military base run by UNIT.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    serton wrote: »

Probably still a bit too close to the real thing for comfort.
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would also guess there are copyright and trademark issues. The BBC can't copyright or trademark an imaginary organisation they created if they have named it after a real organisation.