Genres, or styles of music, you'd like to see back in the charts?

2»

Comments

• Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    I quite like dance music and electronic music, not necessarily the poppy stuff that's big now though. Think Madeon, Zedd, Azari & III, Katy B, Justice, Daft Punk, Rustie, SBTRKT, William Orbit. We're living in such a technological and electronic age, where real innovation is possible, and I think electronic music is where this could happen.

I'd also like to see a little bit more of some 90s-style R&B and Frank Ocean-y R&B.

Some good, unusual pop music would be amazing. Think Grimes, Jessie Ware, Lana Del Rey, Ellie Goulding, Foster the People, La Roux, The xx, Miike Snow.

I'd also be willing and glad to here more music from the following acts, provided that it was of a high quality, and not just generic, bland and unimaginative: Azealia Banks, Iggy Azalia, Brooke Candy, Bruno Mars, Calvin Harris, Florence + The Machine, Lady Gaga, Lily Allen, M.I.A., Madonna.

Daft Punk - They used to make some awesome music!! I think I'll just re-word my point, by saying it's only the 'electronic' music they're churning out at the moment that I despise, not all electronic, as synth based tracks can sound absolutely amazing, and I make synth based music myself - I play the piano though, so I merely replace the sound of piano with a synth sound that compliments the track!

Also, there is no doubt that some of the artists you mentioned are extremely talented - I feel their record labels hold them back though, by dictating what kind of music they have to make. I think Lily Allen could make some amazing music, but have always been disappointed with the backing beats.
    Forum Member
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    Guitar orientated music the likes of The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, 10CC, Free, Queen type stuff

Soul Music, the likes of George Benson, Alexander O'Neal, Luther Vandross, Jocelyn Brown types

Definitely - it's such a difficult instrument to master (been taking lessons for the last 2 months) and it's criminal that real musicians are being phased out, in favour of auto-tuned singers, over cheap computer based beats. Real musicians, in 2013, deserve more respect then they're getting from the industry right now.

Did you see that video, that went viral, of a couple of young kids, around 10 or 11, jamming on the guitar, and singing? People went mad over it, and loved it, so you know the consumers still respect it, which begs the question as to why labels think we want electronic dance only!? Hmmm
    Forum Member
    eh?.... traditional r&b ?... what do you mean by that? 1950's american black rhythm and blues? british rhythm and blues from the early/mid 60's? (that was inspired by the american sound).

I'd love to see both still getting made today, along with the 70's soul based sound, and 80's synth R'n'B.

New Edition stand out to me as an excellent R'n'B group from the 80's - some of their music was cheese, but at their best, they made powerful music with those sweet vibes....

New Edition - I'm coming home - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTgjjZ1KfsY

New Edition - SuperLady - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R84TFN9gtA
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    Did you see that video, that went viral, of a couple of young kids, around 10 or 11, jamming on the guitar, and singing? People went mad over it, and loved it, so you know the consumers still respect it, which begs the question as to why labels think we want electronic dance only!? Hmmm
    Was this the one you were referring to?

DAT SOLO
    Forum Member
    gold2040 wrote: »
    Was this the one you were referring to?

DAT SOLO

Haha that's brilliant - Future rock stars!!

Nah - It was actually this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sckIDFNEjRY
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    I also get riled about what has happened to mainstream contemporary RnB as a genre, it hasn't died out - but songs in this genre are more sparse even from the likes of Alicia Keys, the quality and commitment isn't there any more.

Genres linked to it, like Soul, Neo-Soul, Nu Jazz etc... also exist, but not in the mainstream. People like John Legend and Melanie Fiona can have a few hit singles in the UK, but not sustainable careers shifting singles/albums.

RnB managed to stay popular from the late 80's until the early-mid naughties, but alas I don't even think we should blame the influence of electronic music because genres like Dubstep are accepting of soulful/RnB influenced vocals and over the years Hip Hop, UK Garage, Dancehall have influenced RnB music.

I think a lot of has to do with creative output too, Usher managed to give us to superb albums 8701 and Confessions in the space of 4 years and doesn't seem like he'll produce another pure RnB album any time soon. Toni Braxton retired recently, Aaliyah died (which was a massive tragedy to the Genre), Lauryn Hill is..well you know bat shhhh

Producers and singers became more accepted by the mainstream, they started working with more mainstream acts e,g, Timberland and Nelly Furtardo/Justin. Singers found work in films and television around the early 00's and many have since failed to dent the charts again e.g. Ashanti.

Over in the UK, Indie music dominated the charts during the mid 00's and now electronic, Dubstep, Indie, alternative, music sung by female vocalists, are more popular.

A few really good mainstream RnB albums, may change this in the future, you never know,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    Daft Punk - They used to make some awesome music!! I think I'll just re-word my point, by saying it's only the 'electronic' music they're churning out at the moment that I despise, not all electronic, as synth based tracks can sound absolutely amazing, and I make synth based music myself - I play the piano though, so I merely replace the sound of piano with a synth sound that compliments the track!

Also, there is no doubt that some of the artists you mentioned are extremely talented - I feel their record labels hold them back though, by dictating what kind of music they have to make. I think Lily Allen could make some amazing music, but have always been disappointed with the backing beats.

Then you had prepare for some good news, because Daft Punk have released a snippet of their new material!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trip-hop, R'n'B/hip-hop, indie anthems, dance music (not the electro-pop crap that ALL the charts reek of). Also, a broader age range of artists, that's what gets me most.

ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING in the charts right now is electro-pop, for kids by kids. It all looks, sounds and feels EXACTLY the same; it's appalling. :(
    Forum Member
    Then you had prepare for some good news, because Daft Punk have released a snippet of their new material!!!

Nice - will look forward to it!! Creative guys right here!
    Forum Member
    TheSarge wrote: »
    I also get riled about what has happened to mainstream contemporary RnB as a genre, it hasn't died out - but songs in this genre are more sparse even from the likes of Alicia Keys, the quality and commitment isn't there any more.

Genres linked to it, like Soul, Neo-Soul, Nu Jazz etc... also exist, but not in the mainstream. People like John Legend and Melanie Fiona can have a few hit singles in the UK, but not sustainable careers shifting singles/albums.

RnB managed to stay popular from the late 80's until the early-mid naughties, but alas I don't even think we should blame the influence of electronic music because genres like Dubstep are accepting of soulful/RnB influenced vocals and over the years Hip Hop, UK Garage, Dancehall have influenced RnB music.

I think a lot of has to do with creative output too, Usher managed to give us to superb albums 8701 and Confessions in the space of 4 years and doesn't seem like he'll produce another pure RnB album any time soon. Toni Braxton retired recently, Aaliyah died (which was a massive tragedy to the Genre), Lauryn Hill is..well you know bat shhhh

Producers and singers became more accepted by the mainstream, they started working with more mainstream acts e,g, Timberland and Nelly Furtardo/Justin. Singers found work in films and television around the early 00's and many have since failed to dent the charts again e.g. Ashanti.

Over in the UK, Indie music dominated the charts during the mid 00's and now electronic, Dubstep, Indie, alternative, music sung by female vocalists, are more popular.

A few really good mainstream RnB albums, may change this in the future, you never know,

Good post, and yeah I hope so!!

To be honest, record labels and the media combined, have to power to revive anything they want - with the right face behind it, and the full package, any genre could be revived over night - general consumers, especially teenagers, are impressionable, and generally like whatever trend is presented to them, because it's new & cool.

Country musicial and classical is pushing it abit, but near enough any genre, or sound, could be revived in a heart beat in the pop industry, especially if artists who are already popular with the 'kids' are fronting it.

This dismal period in mainstream has gone on far too long for my liking though, and I'm almost losing hope - It started in 2007, and it's now 2013.

Controversial, but I hope piracy kills the music industry we have right now, so the big wigs piss off elsewhere, and the true musicians can start from scratch, and build something great, like we saw in the past.