The Evil Within

Comments

• MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On chapter 11, no idea what to do. Many an insta-death!
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    Only played the first chapter because the install took bloody ages, but I went from "yikes this seems bad" to being curiously intrigued after the encounter with chainsaw guy. Graphically there are some real issues with textures popping in, screen tearing and frame drops, the story and characters already feel like the very worst cuttings from some generic animé editing room, I haven't even gotten to handle a gun yet...but still, there might be something here.

Exactly how I felt. I knew little about the game except it was by the dude who did Resi.

Fired it up and we were like, ohhhh deaarrrr, this looks pretty appalling, Outlast it aint, Resi it aint and SIlent Hill it aint...... But, the death scenes are pretty gruesome and like you say there is something about it that kept us playing! I am undecided if the acting is bad on purpose - ie done in a "so bad its good" way, if so they have nailed it.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    I am doing about a chapter a day. (that's all the time I have nowadays)

I am bit disappointed that there was some strong language in Chapter 4. After the worst language previously spoken being the comically said 'Sh**' , I was treated with the ghastly F-word! :(

So unnecessary!
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    I am doing about a chapter a day. (that's all the time I have nowadays)

I am bit disappointed that there was some strong language in Chapter 4. After the worst language previously spoken being the comically said 'Sh**' , I was treated with the ghastly F-word! :(

So unnecessary!
    Omgggggggzzzzzx (you are joking right about being offended ?)
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was playing chapter one (last night) & got attacked by loads of monsters & ran outta ammo! 🙈 ... I need more practice lol :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    I was playing chapter one (last night) & got attacked by loads of monsters & ran outta ammo! 🙈 ... I need more practice lol :blush:

Run away more!
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Run away more!

This.

Its the only way in this game, stand your ground by all means but don't expect to be breathing very long :D

Also, upgrade your sprint time in the abilities, running is key, so its needed :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This.

Its the only way in this game, stand your ground by all means but don't expect to be breathing very long :D

Also, upgrade your sprint time in the abilities, running is key, so its needed :D

Yep! .. I managed to put afew down with head shots then tried to kill the rest with unarmed combat! :o ... Didn't last long lol! :blush: ... I'll run tonight! :D
    Forum Member
    Omgggggggzzzzzx (you are joking right about being offended ?)

I don't think I am offended; just disappointed.

Resident Evil 1, Remake, Resident Evil 4 or Silent Hill 2 don't have any real strong bad language so I don't see the real reason why it's needed here?
    It's just with modern gaming nowadays, why does every lead character need to spout out strong course language?

It's not needed and certainly not in every action game!

'Cr*P, Shi**' is perfectly sufficient. Those were the days!
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a brief dalliance with chapter 2 finally (where the guy says "what the f***?" like right at the start almost, so dunno what the other poster is talking about) and am less optimistic now. Camera is too close to the guy's back, this combined with the peculiar aspect ratio means the field of view is pretty limited, leading to awkward and unimpressive combat gameplay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a brief dalliance with chapter 2 finally (where the guy says "what the f***?" like right at the start almost, so dunno what the other poster is talking about) and am less optimistic now. Camera is too close to the guy's back, this combined with the peculiar aspect ratio means the field of view is pretty limited, leading to awkward and unimpressive combat gameplay.

Do you not think the narrow field of vision (probably unintentionally) cranks up the scare factor? 🙈 💀 ... & I've just found an axe in a house on chapter 2! 😎 👏

(It's really strange this game doesnt have achievements for completing chapters or is it because I'm playing on easy?) 😇
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birthday coming up think needs to be picked up watching gameplay on twitch I can see why people don't like it. For me being an old school resident evil fan I have to say it looks like resident evil 4.5
    Forum Member

I can't remember Chapter 2, but I first heard the f- word on Chapter 4 - when 'something scary' turns up! :)

The melee combat or combat in general is no way as good as in The Last of Us. Disarming traps/bombs again is a pain with the camera controls, so you have to get used to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you not think the narrow field of vision (probably unintentionally) cranks up the scare factor? 🙈 💀 ... & I've just found an axe in a house on chapter 2! 😎 👏

(It's really strange this game doesnt have achievements for completing chapters or is it because I'm playing on easy?) 😇

It does but not every chapter. Some have other objectives instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does but not every chapter. Some have other objectives instead.

Yep! Afew achievements are starting to unlock👍 ... I'm upto the part where you've gotta kill some bloke wielding a chainsaw which obviously cuts the gate chain! 😎 ... Shotgun @ the ready! 😜 ❤️
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bought it.....

Away for xmas.....

Will be opening Bayonetta though..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chapter 13. For those who don't like one hit kills, bosses after bosses (who pretty much one hit kill) , traps, some more bosses. More traps that have no warning. This has to be one of theworst games for cheap kills ever. Since Scooby Doo on the Spectrum. Even resi 6 isn't this cheap. Very disappointing.
    Forum Member
    Chapter 13. For those who don't like one hit kills, bosses after bosses (who pretty much one hit kill) , traps, some more bosses. More traps that have no warning. This has to be one of theworst games for cheap kills ever. Since Scooby Doo on the Spectrum. Even resi 6 isn't this cheap. Very disappointing.

I am only on Chapter 6, but yeah some of the 'monsters' too are disappointing. Not exactly the best ever in an horror game. The low health bar, traps and invisible monsters is to combat modern day gaming which has checkpoints, and I am not sure it works.

Sometimes I don't know whether to cry or to laugh! The loading screens are creepy too. I am playing on the PS3, so the loading is long enough for me to admire them all. Sometimes it feels utter creepy like the screen with mask and bloody walls and sometimes it is ridiculous and I just laugh like the screen where an monster appears in the elevator!

Guess it is doing a good job on screwing with my mind! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It gets worse. Chapter 13 is practically impossible. I'm at full health, no health packs, enemies are bullet sponges, electrified walls, freeze bolts work for less time than advertised while youcrank a door. It's got worse than Resi 6 since chapter 11!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It gets worse. Chapter 13 is practically impossible. I'm at full health, no health packs, enemies are bullet sponges, electrified walls, freeze bolts work for less time than advertised while youcrank a door. It's got worse than Resi 6 since chapter 11!

I was the same with the chainsaw guy! ... I didn't have enough ammo (or health pax) & had to spend ages searching / smashing boxes & eventually succeeded in killing him after about 10 attempts! ... That's on EASY, God knows what the harder difficulties are like! :blush:

(Trying to fight bosses with no ammo is a pain in the arse & it's summit I hated in the early resi titles) :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The toughness of the game seems deliberate so that no matter what you'll struggle first time through and on new game plus you'll be better because of the upgrades and after two playthroughs you'll likely be good enough that moving up to higher difficulties or winning fights with no ammo will be easy
  • TheElfTheElf Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just started playing this (literally still on Chapter One). It's really good so far, I agree with everybody saying it plays an awful like Resident Evil 4 (not a bad thing in my opinion). Looking forward to seeing how the game unravels as it's pretty full on fairly quickly.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive just started chapter 3, had to sneak past them all at the end of chapter 2, then make a run for it, as was too many to take out, managed to get one though :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did anyone actually use the survival pack given away with preorders? :) ... Apparently you get a double barrelled shotgun & various other bits & bobs! :cool: ... I'd forgotten all about it until today! :blush:
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did anyone actually use the survival pack given away with preorders? :) ... Apparently you get a double barrelled shotgun & various other bits & bobs! :cool: ... I'd forgotten all about it until today! :blush:

I still haven't redeemed my code, not doing so bad without it, will probably claim mine later in the game when I may need it most :cool: