Cook from scratch or pre-prepared?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
Forum Member
✭✭
Who cooks from scratch and who cooks using ready-made/pre-prepared food (including frozen and tinned etc)?

Personally I'd really like to be able to cook a meal from scratch but when I see on the recipe how many ingredients I'd have to buy I just think it's easier to use a jar of sauce, or something frozen/chilled. I'm not the greatest of cooks either. There's just the two of us to cook for as my little one has only just started weaning, but I'd really like to start cooking properly so when he gets older he'll have nice, homecooked meals and not frozen chips and pizza! I know it's cheaper in the long run to cook from scratch as well, as the ingredients will be used a few times before running out. I'm on a budget as it is so I should really get my arse in gear!

What are your opinions on these cooking styles? Arguments for/against?

Comments

• Special K_Special K_ Posts: 6,320
    Forum Member
    Mostly I cook from scratch but I have a lot of stuff in the cupboards spices and herbs etc.
  • Special K_Special K_ Posts: 6,320
    Forum Member
    Oh by the way if you are following a recipe it doesn't matter if you aren't a good cook, you will only become better with practice. I think it's worth the effort.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    No competition, I always cook from scratch. I prefer to know exactly what's in my food especially when i'm going through IVF and want to be as healthy as possible.

I'm lucky that i have the time to do it though and also have the benefit of growing my own veg and having an amazing farm shop and PYO 5 minutes down the road. If i was still working and getting in at 8pm every night i'd see the appeal of ready prepared food.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I hardly ever use jarred sauces but the cupboard is stocked with condiments, sauces and other food stuff to make a meal.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mostly cook from scratch, but sometimes I do have microwaved meals or do semi-cooking with a jar of sauce or something, depending on time.

OP, if you're not confident and not used to cooking from scratch, I think jars and so on is a good way to start cooking. If, say, you start by making a chicken in sauce thing with a fresh onion and fresh chicken, add a jar of sauce and do some separate potatoes/rice/whatever, then you get the confidence boost over just reheating a premade meal. Then you can start adding more and more fresh ingredients over time, and eventually start making your own sauces and so on, if that makes sense, so you're totally cooking from scratch, but in a gradual way.
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    Pre-prepared mostly, although I cook at weekends if I get time.
  • LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Special K_ wrote: »
    Mostly I cook from scratch but I have a lot of stuff in the cupboards spices and herbs etc.
    Special K_ wrote: »
    Oh by the way if you are following a recipe it doesn't matter if you are a good cook, you will only become better with practice. I think it's worth the effort.

This.

I cook from scratch, but that doesn't mean I sometimes don't take a shortcut.
    I have tins of tomatoes, sardines, sweetcorn, chickpeas and other beans, but I'll never ever use ready made sauces and the like.
    Herbs are grown in my garden, they are easily frozen for winter. My cupboard is full of spices.
    Something like onions and even garlic will keep for a long time, stored in a cool dark enironment.

See that your store cupboard is well stocked with essentials like flour, oil.....and other things you might need.
    It doesn't have to cost much, I do my main shopping at Lidl and I can buy lots of good quality groceries for not a lot of money.

It doesn't matter if you have convenience food every now and then, but if you want your child to have a happy and healthy lifestyle, you would do well with better quality food than pizza and hoola hoops on toast.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From scratch using the same techniques as people that have already posted.

Last friday we had lazy oven food day. But even then it was sausage and chips (home made).

Homemade chips are a doddle and cook in 30mins anyway in a really hot oven. Seasoned with olive oil. Lovely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    I try to cook as much stuff as possible from scratch - curries, casseroles, lasagne, pasta bakes, pasta sauce etc... but sometimes a ready meal or a pizza from the freezer is just more convenient if pressed for time. I do enjoy cooking which I think makes it easier and I have lots of cookbooks that I enjoy choosing recipes from.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From scratch, but there are things like tomatoes in a tin or tomato paste I use, it just takes too long to use fresh tomatoes to get the same result. Try to find recipes with just a few ingredients.

Fried chicken wings are simple - salt, flour, eggs, breadcrumbs, 6 minutes on each side in a pan on a medium heat, keep covered for first 6 minutes, remove the lid for the next 6 minutes, done. Cook potatoes at the same time.

Or pork chops with fresh pepper and tomato sauce - you need onion, pork chops, beat them to make them thinner and to tenderise the meat. Salt them on both sides, brown them on both sides on oil in a pan, remove them from the pan, add chopped onion, then paprika spice, then add chopped tomato and pepper, put the meat back, season with salt and black pepper, add a bit of water and cook covered on a low heat for 1.5 hour. Check on it every 30 minutes or so, add water if necessary. Cook rice during the last 30 minutes.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From scratch nine times out of ten. Oh, and for anyone who thinks they can't cook.....you can! If you can read, you can cook. There is no great mystery about cooking, it's simply a matter of learning basic techniques, and once you know the basics you can go off in any direction you want.
  • pinot_noirpinot_noir Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cook a lot from scratch but I do use tinned beans and I've always got some frozen fruit and veg in the freezer. I often used sauces in jars years ago when I lived in shared housing because it would have anti-social to hog the kitchen at busy times.
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scratch - it's always better and you can control what goes in it. You'll find that if you make the commitment to getting the herbs/spices/vinegars or whatever you need to make a few recipes then you'll have them in the cupboard for next time. It's got to the stage now where I can make lots of recipes without actually needing to buy anything other than the meat/veg/fish/main ingredients which you have to buy if you're using jarred sauces anyway.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    about 70/30 homecooked vs readymade/takeaway. The kids often have school dinners.

My mrs is in catering so will often cook extra for home.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes cheat (for example I don't really like mash potato so if I do it for the OH I'll give him M&S microwave mash) or sometimes I'll buy some cubed rosemary potaotes that just need bunging in the oven.

I don't make my own pasta or bread.

However as I am watching what I eat I do prepare as much as possible from scratch and always use fresh meat, salad and veg. I also try to use fresh herbs as much as possible but do have most stuff in jars too :o

We don't have a freezer (:o) so never buy frozen stuff and have a teeny kitchen so don't have space for tons of tinned goods.

I cook 6 out of 7 evening meals and I would say that 80% of them are from scratch (if not more!)

I do occasionally use a jar of curry sauce to make curry and I do confess to buying some very lazy garlic (just to try it - and I prefer the fresh stuff!) but I make my own pasta sauces - I wouldn't touch a jar of Dolmio as what I make tastes so much nicer!
  • NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mostly Cook From Scratch..Shepherds Pie,Lasagne,Pasta Bake,Casseroles, Were Quite Fussy Eaters so i like to be in control of what goes in, I Cheat On Chips only because i don't like my own and we do have a couple of good chippys in town!!!
  • GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mixture of the two. Some jar sauces are great (e.g. Carluccio's) some are horrid (e.g. Dolmio). Time is also a factor. And some ingredients are very hard to get fresh/dried but easy to get in tins (some pulses, 'exotic' veg like hearts of palm).
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im a mixture of the two. I NEVER use microwave meals as i have tried a few in my time and i hate their bland taste. But i do use a few jars of sauce. I like dolmio white and red sauces for lasagne for example.

Tonight i am making my own meatballs for dinner, but then i will serve it with packet taglietteli (sp) and i like the plastic cartons of 'fresh' sauce to pour over the meatballs. I have been known to make my own sauce, but on a friday evening i cant be arsed !
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mainly from Scratch but I do cheat, like i buy onions pre-chopped etc to save time, sometimes I micro veg but if you start buying spices and things one at a time, start with standard ones, like chilli, then maybe mixed italian, then start buying individuals when you can, you'll find you don't spend as much on food, tin of tomatos or passata and some herbs make a cheaper sauce than buying a jar.
  • aggielaneaggielane Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    I do both depending on how much time I have but even when I use packets and jars I always add my own herbs and spices to them to jazz them up.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mixture. I don't tend to use jars of sauces, though. I do use thai curry pastes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a mixture, usually I make my own sauces, apart from Chilli as I love Homepride chilli and mine is never as nice! I used a chicken tonight 3 peppercorn sauce the other day for convenience and I found it unbelieveably acidic. I normally use a curry paste instead of a sauce so I can add my own cream/tomatoes etc and I usually make my own pasta sauce as I like it with quite a bit of garlic but however this weekend I have a fresh tomato sauce and fresh pasta to use up and I will enjoy being lazy. It can be difficult to cook from scratch in my house as we all like different things so there are always loads of leftovers. I never bake from scratch though, I am a rubbish baker! Always overwork everything and mess up the measurements