Options

Bad spot breakout that won't go away

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi everyone,
For the past month and a half I have been suffering from really bad spots around my chin and most recently my forehead. I was on the contraceptive pill Loestrin which made my periods really irregular. I didn't have a period for about 4 or 5 months and then a month and a half ago, I had a period and immediately after I had the most awful breakout of spots on my chin. I went to my Dr, who I had seen a few times about my irregular periods, and they finally suggested changing my pill. I'm now on my first week of Gedarel (I had to finish my pack of Loestrin first and then have the 7 day break).

During this month and a half, I've not had one day without spots. I have several small spots on my chin all clustered together and one huge spot which comes and goes. In the last two weeks I've developed a load of small spots on my forehead - which is usually the one part of my face I can guarantee will be clear. I've had rosacea since I was 11 which means I have a pink tint to the skin on my nose and cheeks. But apart from that area, and the occasional small spot on my chin, the rest of my face is normally clear.

It's just really getting me down now. I'm going out for my friend's birthday soon which I'm looking forward to but I'm dreading still having these spots. I've been wearing make-up just one day a week so my skin has a chance to clear. I've tried my regular face wash (Balance Me Face Wash), I've tried just washing with water and I've tried Simple Anti-blemish Face Wash (I think that's what it's called). Stuff like Clearasil and Tea Tree Oil stings my skin, having tried them when I was a teenager. I've just started taking a multi-vitamin specially for skin, hair and nails.

I'm just really after some recommendations of some good, preferably natural products to get rid of these spots once and for all. I say natural because my rosacea can flare up if I irritate it and it's been quite a pale pink for around two years or so now, where as it was bright red before, so I'm wary of irritating it with chemicals.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to make sure I gave as much info as possible!

Comments

• Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is one natural thing which works, and that's turmeric!

I only found out about this a few months ago when the hot weather was playing havoc with my skin and causing these huge spots. If you make a turmeric paste and dab on the affected areas (leave the mixture on your face for an hour or two), it'll dry your spots right out within a day or two. Be prepared for some staining, although a little moisturiser should take care of this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gmphmac wrote: »
    There is one natural thing which works, and that's turmeric!

I only found out about this a few months ago when the hot weather was playing havoc with my skin and causing these huge spots. If you make a turmeric paste and dab on the affected areas (leave the mixture on your face for an hour or two), it'll dry your spots right out within a day or two. Be prepared for some staining, although a little moisturiser should take care of this.

I've never heard of using turmeric before! Just did a quick Google to check you weren't having me on :D

Do you make the paste using water or an oil of some sort? I have turmeric in the cupboard so I'm quite interested to try this!
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take a bit of turmeric and just keep adding tiny amounts of water until you have a paste. I've read that some people make a mask with honey, though :p

It works a treat on those nasty cystic pimples.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The Body Shop's Tea Tree skin clearing lotion is brilliant. Also have you tried pure Witch Hazel in liquid form?
  • Options
    ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you said about natural remedies but if it's a persistent problem you may want to see your GP... I have some cream prescribed by my GP which really helps. I was also on anti biotics for a while but wouldn't necessarily recommend that. But the cream is great. If it's just a one off period though I understand the GP might not be the best route.

I sympathise with how spots/bad skin can make you feel. People with totally clear skin are very lucky.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My daughter has had good results with sudocrem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. I can't multiquote on my phone...

I tried the turmeric and it did dry out my spots and at the end of the day all the crap in the huge spot I had was drawn to the surface (sorry, a little TMI!)

The spots on my chin have cleared up but I still have a lot on my forehead.

Mightnight Moggy, I tried tea tree and witch hazel many, many years ago and both made my skin feel like it was on fire!

Ratty, I am quite tempted to see my GP about it if this breakout continues. It's not unusual for me to have a few small spots on my chin but this is the first time I've had spots on my forehead and the longest time I've gone without at least a small break from any spots at all. They just seem to go then another appears somewhere else!

Duffsdad, unfortunately I have an allergy to lanolin so Sudocrem and any lanolin products give me a rash!

Oh to be someone who just wakes up with lovely skin!
  • Options
    miss_zeldamiss_zelda Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds like it's hormonal acne from your pill. From personal experience nothing topical you put on your face will help that much if it is. I had awful skin around my mouth for years and after switching from Microgynon to Dianette to Cilest I'm now on Yasmin, which I'm getting on much better with. I'd give your current pill a bit longer and if the acne continues then ask to be put on an acne friendly pill.