Options

Whatever Happened to Spitting Image? Tonight (20th March) BBC4 9pm

gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
Forum Member
✭✭
Calling all Spitting Image fans.

There's a 1hr documentary on BBC4 tonight 9pm to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Spitting Image.

Comments

• Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deffo one to watch. I loved Norman Tebbit, bovver boy skinhead.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a must watch, I do wonder what they would make of things these days. Im sure we would see Nick Clegg, with a Dog's lead on being pulled along by David Cameron.
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Setting sky + as working
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a must watch, I do wonder what they would make of things these days. Im sure we would see Nick Clegg, with a Dog's lead on being pulled along by David Cameron.

If they made Spitting Image today they'd only focus on 'celebrities', the soaps and rubbish like Towie. It'd be awful.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the thread OP. Been looking for this for ages... they kept saying "the Spring," but not exactly when until the last minute. Really looking forward to this and my son's intrigued too as he was too young for it first time round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »
    Thanks. Setting sky + as working
    Thanks for the thread OP. Been looking for this for ages... they kept saying "the Spring," but not exactly when until the last minute. Really looking forward to this and my son's intrigued too as he was too young for it first time round.

No probs :)

It was just by chance yesterday i caught abit of an interview with Peter Fluck (1 of the co creators) on BBC Breakfast & they mentioned when the programme would be on.
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    gerry d wrote: »
    No probs :)

It was just by chance yesterday i caught abit of an interview with Peter Fluck (1 of the co creators) on BBC Breakfast & they mentioned when the programme would be on.

It was the other one - Roger Law - who was on Breakfast!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mistake :blush:
  • Options
    clarendelclarendel Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    I saw the "unfinished" version of this at the National Film Theatre a month ago. The rest of the programme was to be the panel discussion/Q & A session. It will be interesting to see what is included. Guests at the NFT included Fluck and Law, Harry Enfield, John LLoyd, Steve Nalon, Ian Hislop, Roy Hattersley and David Steele.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Arghh! why are there so many good shows clashing :( Will have to Iplay this.

I would love this show to come back.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that, set to record
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the heads up. Will have to catch it on repeat or On Demand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    15mins until it starts.

Not long now
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hope they show the Flying Pickets piss take with all of the monsters....funniest thing ever.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On air..
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    jimbo1962 wrote: »
    hope they show the Flying Pickets piss take with all of the monsters....funniest thing ever.

But strangely disturbing at the same time :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the piano arrangement of Blue Monday..
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Lloyd is a total hero of mine. He's been behind much of the best TV in recent decades.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ohhh - the QL debacle!
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    Did John Lloyd just say that The Waterboys were Irish? There probably was the odd Irish member but I thought they were from Edinburgh. Anyone know who did that version of Blue Monday?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know who did that version of Blue Monday?

Was this it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa4JWzEPJe8
  • Options
    dans_t16sdans_t16s Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian Hislop's glasses!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God - we NEED a Spitting Image today!
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    God - we NEED a Spitting Image today!

You couldn't have a spitting image today. People (just the general population) are far too intolerant and complaining.
    Plus, there simply aren't enough (or any?) "personalities to caricature. Taking the mik' out of politicians today would be be like poking fun at people because they were dim. And most of the so-called celebrities would be such non-entities that few would have even heard of them and only their mothers would want to watch a programme about them. Could you imaging a baby-naming sketch (as shown on the Arena programme) with Kate Middleton and woss'is-name? There just isn't any basic material to satirise.

As someone said: Thatcher was (at least) a conviction politician. None of this lot have any beliefs, convictions or direction apart from feathering their own little nests.
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that was a damned good show. It's always nice to see a retrospective and I thought it was well rounded and informative.
    As for Ian Hislop, hasn't he aged well.:D