why has Rik Mayalls death hit people so hard?

Comments

• David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because his job was to entertain and he did it perfectly, he was a beacon of comedy and put his all into being a person who wanted to make other people laugh.

The World is a better place with people like that doing just that.

Unlike some famous people who are absolute jerks who want fame, power and control, there is no reason at all to dislike Rik because of the positive impact he had on lives of others in a fun way.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me and my sister used to get stomach aches from laughing at Bottom, especially the fairground episode!

"Don't you dare call me overweight young man!" ...

RIP Rik. A legend.

"Now look here you roustabouts. Ive got a photgraphic memory and I'm going to memorise all of you"

"and ill certianly remember that".

Great deliverys in that episode best one was this.

"Well if you had the common decency, to go out and get yourself a proper job, and not hang around the flat all day like some vast slug, then perhaps I would have the opportunity to take my top off and wash it without the risk of you seeing my nipples!"
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember back at school after an episode of the Young Ones. We used to recite lines back to each other. Apparently him and Ade were planning another series of Bottom with them both in a care home. It would have been fantastic.
  • DC1983DC1983 Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to sit and watch Bottom with my Dad and little brother when we were kids.He was one of our favourite comedians. We grew up with his slapstick antics and I think the main reason why I am really upset is because his death was so unexpected and the fact that he is 8 years younger than my Dad. It scares me as you never know when your time is up.
  • annielouannielou Posts: 10,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Echo what others have said. From dads army, the good life etc, then in 1982 (I was 14) you had C4 the comic strip, the young ones etc. Nothing like it before for teenagers. Funny and relevant. And wasn't there always someone a bit like Rik in your class at school??
  • JoJoJayJoJoJay Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apologies if it's already been mentioned, but the episode of 'Blackadder goes Forth' that he guest-starred in is on Gold at 7pm tonight.
    Here's hoping for an actual tribute though.
  • Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    only asking because i still feel very sad about it :(

i'm glad you've said that as i thought i was being so very silly being actually upset to the point of shedding a tear when i found out that Rik had died-and i was just sooo shocked as well, :(

For me personally its because i invested alot of time and money following his career from the live Bottom tours to buying everything him and Ade did and reading his autobiography i felt like i knew him,
    He and Ade were in my life during the whole of my 20s on wards and for others like my children they were part of their growing up and i think that's why people have also taken Rik's death harder than other celebs
    he was a comedy genius,they both were together,and like Ade said,he's died for real,without me (us)
    ,selfish ba5tard :D,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoJoJay wrote: »
    Apologies if it's already been mentioned, but the episode of 'Blackadder goes Forth' that he guest-starred in is on Gold at 7pm tonight.
    Here's hoping for an actual tribute though.

thanks for that ive set the TiVo to record them,i know we've all seen them again and again but like Bottom,The Young Ones,New Statesman and Filthy Rich and Catflap-they still make us laugh 20 years on ;)
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me, or is it quite disrespectful that there hasnt already been a quick repeat of something he was in before maybe a weekend of tribute repeats of his work?

I waited the last couple of days for something to be on the BBC (all the BBC channels) but nothing so far? Or have I missed something

I feel that if it was some old actor somewhere they cant wait to get a film on but why not the same for him?
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Any tributes planned?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMAFme1hBH0
    The world cup song he made for 2010 looks to be heading for no 1 on Sunday
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMAFme1hBH0
    The world cup song he made for 2010 looks to be heading for no 1 on Sunday

Its number 11 at the moment.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was sad when Mel Smith died, but there were rumblings for a few years about the state of his health.
    I remembered Rik Mayall's quad bike accident, but he got over it. So I thought he would be around for another 20 years at least.
    When someone dies before they get in their 70's, it brings it home a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is it quite disrespectful that there hasnt already been a quick repeat of something he was in before maybe a weekend of tribute repeats of his work?

I waited the last couple of days for something to be on the BBC (all the BBC channels) but nothing so far? Or have I missed something

I feel that if it was some old actor somewhere they cant wait to get a film on but why not the same for him?

UK Gold had Bottom and The Young Ones on in the evening of his death which was good of them,but I think other channels are letting the family grieve first before they show Riks new stuff GED done before his death and of course tribute stuff,
    But I'm so lucky I have all my DVDs of Bottom so I watched them on the evening of his death and yeah they cheered me up!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was sad when Mel Smith died, but there were rumblings for a few years about the state of his health.
    I remembered Rik Mayall's quad bike accident, but he got over it. So I thought he would be around for another 20 years at least.
    When someone dies before they get in their 70's, it brings it home a bit.

Yes it does,plus he was only a few years older than me and it does make you question your own mortality,
    The quad bike accident made him have brain damage and epilepsy and he would forget people he'd known all his life so it must have been like a miracle that he survived and with Rik even that was made into a joke as he'd been in a coma over Easter for 5days then woke up so he always said he beat Jesus 5-3 :D
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have read elsewhere that the BBC are preparing a tribute.
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella71110 wrote: »
    thanks for that ive set the TiVo to record them,i know we've all seen them again and again but like Bottom,The Young Ones,New Statesman and Filthy Rich and Catflap-they still make us laugh 20 years on ;)

20 years and more. :)
    His comedy is timeless. :)
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I loved drop dead fred
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He really was hilariously funny. Why do comedies and films these days need to have this `quirky` kind of humour that can't make you laugh? Bottom and Blackadder make me laugh great big belly laughs even now.

I feel sorry for Ade too :( he is also a nice man.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's because a lot of us grew up with him. I personally feel like I owe him a "thank you" for all of the wonderful laughs he has given me over the years and I guess I feel sad because in life I had never considered it. I probably never would have had the opportunity to say thank you and now I never will so I just hope he knew what a hero he was to so many and how grateful we all are for his time here on earth. He made many many people smile and his passing leaves a hole of sadness in so many strangers. That's pretty amazing.

I'm planning a 'Rik' night, all by myself so I can watch his shows, say a silent thanks and raise a glass :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think its very often you can get a comedy actor who is fondly remembered for his 1980s work, his 1990s work & his 2000s work.

I still say its a crying shame All About George still hasent been given a DVD release date.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's because a lot of us grew up with him. I personally feel like I owe him a "thank you" for all of the wonderful laughs he has given me over the years and I guess I feel sad because in life I had never considered it. I probably never would have had the opportunity to say thank you and now I never will so I just hope he knew what a hero he was to so many and how grateful we all are for his time here on earth. He made many many people smile and his passing leaves a hole of sadness in so many strangers. That's pretty amazing.

I'm planning a 'Rik' night, all by myself so I can watch his shows, say a silent thanks and raise a glass :)

what lovely words xx.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I must admit I was surprised there wasn't even a mention the following day on BBC breakfast.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I must admit I was surprised there wasn't even a mention the following day on BBC breakfast.

There was a segment on The One Show about him. I expect there will be a proper tribute in the planning though.

I was shocked and upset by Rik's sudden passing too. I'm in my fifties and my husband is just one year older than Rik. When members of your peer age group die it's very sobering. Also, I think that because Rik was known for being SO energetic and full of life it seems terrible that someone like that should be taken from us. I feel really sorry for his wife, children and friends. I hope that the outpouring of love for Rik will comfort them. I hope that somewhere Rik knows he was loved so much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rik Mayalls Facebook fan group have set up a just giving site to raise money for a charity close to Rik -
    it was the charity Headway UK that helped him after his quad bike accident and it seems apt that the group choose this charity to raise money in memory of Rik

Please pass this on as they asked to raise a thousand pounds and as you see they have surpassed the amount ten fold :D

Headway (UK) - the brain injury association. Each year, approximately one million people visit A&E departments following a head injury, with 135,000 people admitted to hospital due to the severity of their injuries. Head injury is the foremost cause of death and disability in young people today.

http://www.justgiving.com/FlashCashforRik?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=fundraisingpage&utm_content=FlashCashforRik&utm_campaign=pfp-share-mobile