Breaking news: Phones bend if you bend them

Comments

• Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    davethorp wrote: »
    Sadly that's not going to happen. Even with a very low rate of 0.00009% that means there may be a few more impacted

Yep. I don't offer hat consumption on a whim :p
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Yep. I don't offer hat consumption on a whim :p

You said hardware! Not hat! And given the subject matter I'd have accepted nothing less than an iPhone 6 Plus. Just not mine :D
    Forum Member
    You said hardware! Not hat! And given the subject matter I'd have accepted nothing less than an iPhone 6 Plus. Just not mine :D

Damn. Spell check corrected headware to hardware :o

Worst case it'll be raspberry pi and cream :p

I reckon I'm safe though ....
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BREAKING NEWS...

Due to all the negative publicity of late, it is rumoured Apple are re-branding.
    Forum Member
    TheSloth wrote: »
    BREAKING NEWS...

Due to all the negative publicity of late, it is rumoured Apple are re-branding.

Yeah the boomerang joke on the last page still wins for today :D
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, at least Dave has declared a percentage rather that the usual 'It only affects a very small percentage, but what that percentage is we are certainly not letting on'.

So its either 0.000009% or 100% depending on how you want to see it. A bit like those batteries that seemed to cover both 100% and 'a very small percentage' simultaneously ?

Heres some stuff on Bendgate 1 from 2012. (1a maybe as comments relate to older)
    http://www.tekcore.co.uk/2012/10/10/iphone-5-bend-gate/
    "but what is interesting from the forum reports is that some users are simply stating that the bend developed on its own over time. "

"..Apple’s stance is that I damaged the phone and my phone is out of warrantly.... I would have never purchased the phone if I knew I could not transport the phone in my pocket..."

"Now they are saying we probably didn’t put it in the case correctly...The old IPhone 4 was not in a case & my husband carried the Iphone 5 the same way except he bought the case for it since the phone looked more fragile. We don’t know what happened but feel there’s a problem. we are in our fifties, no kids at home, & no one but us handled it. Sad! "

So maybe the 5 was by far the worst for it ?
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,594
    Forum Member
    You missed the sarcasm?

Yep, that's one thing that doesn't really carry well in writing ;-) sometimes it needs a bit of inflection or the odd smilie like :p or :D.

;).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/25/iphone-6-bends-6-plus-moto-x-test

So, reading that it seems only Apple could get away with using cheap metal.
    The HTC M8 with its brushed aluminium chassis is quality and does not bend.

Poor Apple, they got away with it for years so this must have taken them a bit by surprise.

I'm not sure about the Guardians claim about the S4.
    That old posting of mine found literally thousands of images of bent iPhones and none on Samsungs. So I call it 99% bullshit there.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    This was my point years ago when iphone users used to go on about cheap plastic samsungs! Plastic CAN bend and does not mean its cheap.

Can you remember the YouTube video which showed the rear plastic cover for the GS2 quite literally being bent in two? Someone should have the nerve to put that link on the rumours forum - and this one too.
  • Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    Very unlikely! The "problem" (if it can honestly be called a problem!) is pretty much certainly going to be people who thought (or just did not think!) they could treat their iPhone 6+ exactly like their iPhone 5/4/3 etc.

(a) it's much bigger giving much more stress if put in tight pockets
    (b) it is thinner as well

If the problems go any deeper than this I will be very surprised!:confused:

Well all I can say is my HTC One, which has the same screen size, hasn't bent and I treat it the same way as all my previous phones. Telling people they shouldn't treat their phones the same as the precious models is just ridiculous and just adds to the evidence that there is a design fault.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From that G link Apple commented"“feature a precision engineered unibody enclosure constructed from machining a custom grade of 6000 series anodized aluminum "

6000 series as expected, though notice how they left it actually numberless.
    They are all different but soft as shite, even when hardened, compared to any in the 7000 series.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member

He will be ok they are pretty soft and pliable by all accounts :)
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9 phones out of 10 million odd is pretty good odds.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I can imagine if it is only 9 so far that it could be a manufacturing defect with just those phones, like they forgot to put in the titanium strengthing or something. I doubt it will only be 9 phones but if we remember Antenna gate, which the majority of folk saw no issues from there were thousands upon thousands of online videos, pics and comments. I've not seem that with this at all..
    Forum Member
    I think any company would be delighted with a rate of 9 out of 10,000,000. I'm sure the numbers will increase and the percentage may increase slightly but it still shows it was blown out of proportion.

To put it in perspective 40000 people were affected by the iOS 8.0.1 bug or 0.4%. Yet bend gate was the issue that got the most attention from the media. Even though we only had 9 bent phones but 40000 phones that had suddenly turned into massive iPod Touches
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think the blame lies with the user. Buggered if I'd spend hundreds on a new phone then treat it like a 3310. My note 3's never been out of its case & 6 months later is still in A* condition.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think the blame lies with the user. Buggered if I'd spend hundreds on a new phone then treat it like a 3310. My note 3's never been out of its case & 6 months later is still in A* condition.

A hard case? The cases I have on my phones are mostly to protect the casing from dents/scratches, not give the device more structural protection.

I do feel like a real clot now though, as I've put so many phones in my back pocket over the years - but now it's clear that doing so is reckless, stupid, and obviously going to bend a phone! What an idiot I've been, but at least now I know how stupid I've been.

And as Apple confirms only 9 people have complained, this never was a problem. So that's good. I mean the phone has been on sale for a week, a problem has been found, and it's solved. So that's it, no more bending phones next week or the week after, or in six months or a year. And if anyone DID suffer, then it's their bloody fault.

Why do I think that if any other company handled things this way, everyone would have reacted somewhat differently?
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone who enjoys Apple products the iOS 8.1 debacle is a far bigger issue and something Apple should have been bashed for, yet this bendy phone non issue has taken all the limelight.
    Forum Member
    I think any company would be delighted with a rate of 9 out of 10,000,000. I'm sure the numbers will increase and the percentage may increase slightly but it still shows it was blown out of proportion.

To put it in perspective 40000 people were affected by the iOS 8.0.1 bug or 0.4%. Yet bend gate was the issue that got the most attention from the media. Even though we only had 9 bent phones but 40000 phones that had suddenly turned into massive iPod Touches

So the various tests done out there on random handsets that all (as far as I can tell) show the 6+ to be more likely to bend and stay bent than the competition all happen to be using "dodgy handsets" ? (I'm assuming they aren't included in the 9 as I doubt you would purposefully bend your handset and then complain).

What are the odds of that !!?? :p
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Well all I can say is my HTC One, which has the same screen size, hasn't bent and I treat it the same way as all my previous phones. Telling people they shouldn't treat their phones the same as the precious models is just ridiculous and just adds to the evidence that there is a design fault.
    And just how do you know that an iPhone 6 would have bent if used in the way YOU use phones?

Some people seem to seriously abuse the things!
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    So the various tests done out there on random handsets that all (as far as I can tell) show the 6+ to be more likely to bend and stay bent
    And just whose tests are you selectively choosing?

The BBC website had a test they did (in a highly subjective manner) showing no problems.

Like most Apple issues this problem seems to be vastly exaggerated by the usual suspects!
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people obviously don't understand mass-manufacturing.

If 9 iPhone 6+ phones bend then it's certain that all iPhone 6+ phones bend, if used in the same way.

Unless this is a manufacturing defect and not a design defect.
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Some people obviously don't understand mass-manufacturing.

If 9 iPhone 6+ phones bend then it's certain that all iPhone 6+ phones bend, if used in the same way.

Unless this is a manufacturing defect and not a design defect.

Well of course they will all bend. The question is how many people will it affect from daily usage. You can break anything under extreme circumstances. If it does become a widespread problem it will be interesting to see how Apple fix the issue. You have to think that people who work for Apple would have been carrying these things around for months now in pockets and put it through normal wear and tear tests.

I have to say lugging one of those beasts around with me would be very uncomfortable. Same with any so called phablet. But then they aren't aimed at me.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    on the odds, I wonder how many the video guy had to try and bend before he found one that responded noticeably differently to all the other phones he tested. Maybe he spent all week filming himself trying to bend phones before he found one that exhibited the fault. Maybe he was (un)lucky. Or maybe its a more common issue than Apple make out....
This discussion has been closed.