1303132333436»

Comments

• Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    Looks like The Maldives is off the Holiday Destination list now too

Maldives will censor all books to protect Islamic codes
    In a move condemned by free speech advocates, the islands’ government moves to curb literature and poetry’s ‘adverse effects on society’
    http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/sep/25/maldives-censor-books-islamic-codes

Bizarre.

It boggles my mind that Islam, once a great powerhouse of architecture and literature, should have regressed into...well, I don't know what.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bizarre.

It boggles my mind that Islam, once a great powerhouse of architecture and literature, should have regressed into...well, I don't know what.

Unfortunately the rest of the world has moved on and Islam is still stuck in the 6th century. :(
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately the rest of the world has moved on and Islam is still stuck in the 6th century. :(

It's not stuck. It actually seems to have gone backwards.

Look at this photo of women in Afghanistan in the 1960s http://i.ytimg.com/vi/cxboRdXBwck/hqdefault.jpg
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not stuck. It actually seems to have gone backwards.

Look at this photo of women in Afghanistan in the 1960s http://i.ytimg.com/vi/cxboRdXBwck/hqdefault.jpg

I thought that photo had been debunked... isn't it from america?
  • Options
    The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bizarre.

It wasn't:
    http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/2757/golden-age-of-islam
    http://archive.frontpagemag.com/readArticle.aspx?ARTID=21117
    http://wikiislam.net/wiki/How_Islamic_Inventors_Did_Not_Change_The_World
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwXtTwNvWXc
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this is accurate then IS are experiencing the full terrible power of US military might.

They will now be feeling some of the fear of their thousands of innocent victims felt before they were murdered.

Good.

Thankfully not only US might. Saudi and UAE are also heavily involved in bombing the oil sites. Did IS stupidly not expect this to happen? More countries are entering the bombing fray now.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/25/us-syria-crisis-coalition-factbox-idUSKCN0HK1IT20140925

Factbox: U.S. wins more pledges in war against Islamic State

Russia still whinging whilst Assad is quietly pleased.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like The Maldives is off the Holiday Destination list now too

Maldives will censor all books to protect Islamic codes
    In a move condemned by free speech advocates, the islands’ government moves to curb literature and poetry’s ‘adverse effects on society’
    http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/sep/25/maldives-censor-books-islamic-codes

A bit of a hash job? Social media and news outlet's aren't affected. What is the point apart from putting off tourists in the current political climate. Madness.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Thankfully not only US might. Saudi and UAE are also heavily involved in bombing the oil sites. Did IS stupidly not expect this to happen? More countries are entering the bombing fray now.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/25/us-syria-crisis-coalition-factbox-idUSKCN0HK1IT20140925

It is odd, considering IS have been credited with their impressive approach to propaganda and carefully-organised internal structure.

What did they THINK was going to happen once they gained excessive power, pushed towards the borders of Turkey and Europe while loudly proclaiming they want to take over the Western world?

In addition to provocative actions such as slaughtering French, American and English civilians?

Did they really think we were going to just sit watching while they spread fear and bloodshed across the world?

Hopefully they are not as intelligent as previously though.
  • Options
    oncemoreoncemore Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This drives me crazy.

I'm not a Christian, or Buddhist, or Islamic or whatever. I'm not religious in any sort of way, but I'm an economist and I work with and teach young people every day.

Often they come from religious backgrounds. It's insane to me when I hear things like "Islam is stuck in the 6th century, so that's the cause of ... ", because it's so demonstrably false. I work with people daily who bring criticalt perspectives to the field, and these people are Muslims or Christians and honestly nobody cares.

You aren't a scientist, you aren't anything. I reject you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oncemore wrote: »
    This drives me crazy.

I'm not a Christian, or Buddhist, or Islamic or whatever. I'm not religious in any sort of way, but I'm an economist and I work with and teach young people every day.

Often they come from religious backgrounds. It's insane to me when I hear things like "Islam is stuck in the 6th century, so that's the cause of ... ", because it's so demonstrably false. I work with people daily who bring criticalt perspectives to the field, and these people are Muslims or Christians and honestly nobody cares.

You aren't a scientist, you aren't anything. I reject you.

:confused:

Not sure what you mean by that last statement.

A bit baffled to be honest - reject me?

I have never spoken to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    It is odd, considering IS have been credited with their impressive approach to propaganda and carefully-organised internal structure.

What did they THINK was going to happen once they gained excessive power, pushed towards the borders of Turkey and Europe while loudly proclaiming they want to take over the Western world?

In addition to provocative actions such as slaughtering French, American and English civilians?

Did they really think we were going to just sit watching while they spread fear and bloodshed across the world?

Hopefully they are not as intelligent as previously though.

Why was I thinking rationally? Big mistake. They see themselves as martyrs and dying for the cause ie. exposing and wiping out Apostates means heaven is the next residence.
    The starkness of that insane unreality has never been more evident.
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Why was I thinking rationally? Big mistake. They see themselves as martyrs and dying for the cause ie. exposing and wiping out Apostates means heaven is the next residence.
    The starkness of that insane unreality has never been more evident.

It seems to be so childish. I can hardly believe that that is their sole motivation. Are we being naive?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    It seems to be so childish. I can hardly believe that that is their sole motivation. Are we being naive?

No not naive. Realistic. They are Jihadists interpreting it's meaning to the horror we see.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Tiggywink wrote: »

I think a lot of them are motivated by revenge, it's obvious we were going to create enemies whenever we interfere in things we have no business in. Our military interventions can ruins peoples lives or even take lives and for every civilian the US decides to blow up in a drone strike, it creates a martyr because that person probably has relatives and friends who will want to avenge that death. And they probably think that if its ok for the US to kill civilians through drone strikes then it's ok for them to kill civilians with a knife or axe. Again I'd say we should put out a message that we're willing to negotiate a truce with IS, we stop foreign military involvement, we stop toppling governments and installing puppet regimes we stop involving ourselves in things we have no right to get involved in, and in return they do not harm any British person. If they don't want to negotiate we could still airstrike them so it's not like we'd lose anything by making that offer.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axtol wrote: »
    I think a lot of them are motivated by revenge, it's obvious we were going to create enemies whenever we interfere in things we have no business in. Our military interventions can ruins peoples lives or even take lives and for every civilian the US decides to blow up in a drone strike, it creates a martyr because that person probably has relatives and friends who will want to avenge that death. And they probably think that if its ok for the US to kill civilians through drone strikes then it's ok for them to kill civilians with a knife or axe. Again I'd say we should put out a message that we're willing to negotiate a truce with IS, we stop foreign military involvement, we stop toppling governments and installing puppet regimes we stop involving ourselves in things we have no right to get involved in, and in return they do not harm any British person. If they don't want to negotiate we could still airstrike them so it's not like we'd lose anything by making that offer.

It is our business because someone from over here was beheaded by them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    It is our business because someone from over here was beheaded by them.

I'm talking about before any of this happened I'm talking about the 2 gulf wars, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axtol wrote: »
    I'm talking about before any of this happened I'm talking about the 2 gulf wars, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya.
    So we shouldn't have stopped Saddam taking over Kuwait & gassing the Kurds? We should have let Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan just carry on as normal after 911?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    So we shouldn't have stopped Saddam taking over Kuwait & gassing the Kurds? We should have let Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan just carry on as normal after 911?

If it was up to me then no I wouldn't have invaded Afghanistan. If you're talking about the Halabja gassing, you do realize that it was an attack on a town controlled by an enemy military?
  • Options
    tour de forcetour de force Posts: 4,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused:

Not sure what you mean by that last statement.

A bit baffled to be honest - reject me?

I have never spoken to you.

Come now.

We all know you doused yourself in glitter, wrapped yourself in bubble wrap and duct tape and had yourself fed-exed to the poster in a box marked SCIENTIST in the forlorn hope they would 'accept' you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come now.

We all know you doused yourself in glitter, wrapped yourself in bubble wrap and duct tape and had yourself fed-exed to the poster in a box marked SCIENTIST in the forlorn hope they would 'accept' you.

The poster totally lost me I must admit! :D

What the hell they were waffling on about is a mystery.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Nws17.16

19 year old from Brighton killed in Syria by airstrikes, whilst fighting for terrorist group.

Excellent news! One less of these muslim fanatics on our streets.