Options

Live Premier League Games 2012/13

Comments

• Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, both West Brom and West Ham have performed better than expected this season so a match between them would be a decent draw regardless of the quota obligation reasons.
  • Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When they picked the game both teams I believe were in the Top 8

Stoke in the Top 10 on the other hand are ALWAYS ignored for TV picks !!!
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    No, it makes perfect sense. By choosing a lesser tie as a 1st pick (on a weekend when they have all picks), they can choose Man City and Arsenal as lesser picks, thereby not using up their quota of Sunday 4pm games. This ensures stronger Super Sundays later in the season as they can still pick the big teams in the prime slot in the title run in.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Yeah, both West Brom and West Ham have performed better than expected this season so a match between them would be a decent draw regardless of the quota obligation reasons.

Well I was certainly proven wrong about it being a poor game ;) Nothing but razzle dazzle!
  • Options
    pablompablom Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    MARCH 2013
    Sun 3 Tottenham v Arsenal (4pm)
    Mon 4 Aston Villa v Man City (8pm)
    Sat 9 West Ham v Man Utd (12.45pm)
    Sun 10 Fulham v Chelsea (1.30pm)
    Sun 10 Liverpool v Tottenham (4pm)
    Sat 16 Everton v Man City (12.45pm)
    Sun 17 Sunderland v Norwich (1.30pm)
    Sun 17 Wigan v Newcastle (4pm)
    Sat 30 Sunderland v Man Utd (12.45pm)
    Sun 31 Aston Villa v Liverpool (1.30pm)
    Sun 31 Southampton v Chelsea (4pm)

APRIL 2013
    Mon 1 Fulham v QPR (8pm)

(http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12942,00.html)
  • Options
    pablompablom Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    And on ESPN in March:

Saturday 2nd Wigan v Liverpool (5.30pm)
    Saturday 16th Manchester United v Reading (5.30pm)
    Saturday 30th Everton v Stoke City (5.30pm)
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Sky only have 2 matches on the weekend of the 3rd of March? I'd expect that to change - I can't think of an obvious reason for them to do that.
  • Options
    loyalsinceloyalsince Posts: 6,071
    Forum Member
    Readingfan wrote: »
    So Sky only have 2 matches on the weekend of the 3rd of March? I'd expect that to change - I can't think of an obvious reason for them to do that.

Not a weekend of very good matches, only have the two and save quota picks.

All Sky's games on 10/11 March subject to FA Cup. Sky will be hoping all are re-arranged, save one match perhaps if it does not clash with an ITV game.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loyalsince wrote: »
    All Sky's games on 10/11 March subject to FA Cup. Sky will be hoping all are re-arranged, save one match perhaps if it does not clash with an ITV game.

Yes, a couple of postponements would set up a strong primetime midweek Tue / Wed doubleheader.

Only problem could be if all 3 are postponed. I think PL now generally pushes for games to be rescheduled as soon as possible - so if all 3 were rescheduled in the same midweek then Sky would have to drop one of them - most likely Fulham v Chelsea.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could this Super Sunday's double bill, cause trouble for sky, as looking at the forecast, snow is forecast for mainly the south east and London on sunday, and snow during the match or on the day, may leave Chelsea and Tottenham with no choice but to call them off.

I know last year I think when similar happened luckily Leicester had a championship game that day, and they sent the cameras there, but on sunday the only other football, is 2 matches up in Scotland but are both ESPN
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    london is forecast to have non stop snow through to sunday night, I would say it is highly probable as things stand that both super sunday games are postponed.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    london is forecast to have non stop snow through to sunday night, I would say it is highly probable as things stand that both super sunday games are postponed.

Doesn't mean it will, and London is rather a big place. Seen already this week that forecasts can change in a short period (eg yesterday there was meant to be basically no snow in Huddersfield, yet it snowed for a good few hours yesterday late afternoon/evening). Not heavy like in London etc today, but it still snowed despite it being mentioned that it wouldn't snow, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to it saying it'll snow non stop in London through to Sunday night, because it probably won't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guess in a way, if that did happen it wouldn't be the worse thing, as those fixtures might then, become more important later
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Doesn't mean it will, and London is rather a big place. Seen already this week that forecasts can change in a short period (eg yesterday there was meant to be basically no snow in Huddersfield, yet it snowed for a good few hours yesterday late afternoon/evening). Not heavy like in London etc today, but it still snowed despite it being mentioned that it wouldn't snow, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to it saying it'll snow non stop in London through to Sunday night, because it probably won't.

Yeah the forecast seems dry for tomorrow, which bshould mean most of Saturdays fixtures should be ok, if they can make the surrounding areas safe.

Obviously they can play in snow but of course it depends on how thick it is on the pitch, if they do go ahead it could mean people with brooms coming out clearing the lines, but I remember a champions league match in Zagreb, where they painted the lines blue I guess they could do that
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    stevvy1986 wrote: »

even if it stopped snowing now, you will have sub zero temperatures throughout london for the next few days at best, is going to be very treacherous underfoot, be interesting to see what they do.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    Yeah the forecast seems dry for tomorrow, which bshould mean most of Saturdays fixtures should be ok, if they can make the surrounding areas safe.

Obviously they can play in snow but of course it depends on how thick it is on the pitch, if they do go ahead it could mean people with brooms coming out clearing the lines, but I remember a champions league match in Zagreb, where they painted the lines blue I guess they could do that

Snow can be removed on the morning of the game. If it keeps snowing, have minor breaks to sweep the pitch during the game and then restart. More of an issue (given PL grounds will have undersoil heating, as well as covers no doubt) will be the surrounding areas, the roads leading to and from the grounds, the stands themselves etc (as proven by some games being postponed already today for safety reasons, rather than specifically because of frozen pitches).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    even if it stopped snowing now, you will have sub zero temperatures throughout london for the next few days at best, is going to be very treacherous underfoot, be interesting to see what they do.

Grit the carparks and the immediate areas surely, cause you don't want another occasion like December 2010, when Chelsea v Man Utd, got postponed on the Saturday lunchtime, only for the area to be totally free of snow come the sunday
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grit the carparks and the immediate areas surely, cause you don't want another occasion like December 2010, when Chelsea v Man Utd, got postponed on the Saturday lunchtime, only for the area to be totally free of snow come the sunday

I know this isn't premier league, but in Bristol the Bristol Rovers match, has only just been postponed, even though 7cms fell in the immediate area to the ground today.

Feel sorry for Barnet fans
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Live TV games to 1 April 2013:

(Sky + ESPN = Total)
    (Max 21 + 5 = 26)
    (Min 4 + 1 = 5)

Liverpool 16 + 3 = 19
    Man Utd 14 + 5 = 19
    Man City 14 + 4 = 18
    Arsenal 13 + 4 = 17
    Tottenham 14 + 2 = 16
    Chelsea 13 + 1 = 14
    West Ham 11 + 2 = 13
    Newcastle 10 + 3 = 13
    Everton 10 + 1 = 11
    Aston Villa 9 + 2 = 11
    Sunderland 9 + 1 = 10
    Fulham 8 + 2 = 10
    QPR 7 + 1 = 8
    Southampton 7 + 1 = 8
    West Brom 7 + 1 = 8
    Swansea 6 + 1 = 7
    Norwich 5 + 2 = 7
    Wigan 5 + 1 = 6
    Reading 4 + 2 = 6
    Stoke 4 + 1 = 5

Games remaining:
    Sky 22, ESPN 3

Rounds remaining = 7
    Approx breakdown:
    Sky 2@4, 4@3, 1@2 (Final day)
    ESPN 3@1, 4@0

Sky:
    - Can show Man Utd and Man City on all 7 remaining rounds if necessary
    - Man Utd can be any pick on all remaining rounds as ESPN has exhausted Man Utd
    - Liverpool continue to lead the way - will be less Liverpool games in run-in
    - Minimum quotas all complied with
    - Continuing policy of showing most weak teams well above minimum quota

ESPN:
    - Minimum quotas all complied with - Everton v Stoke picked as widely predicted
    - Likely no game in Round 37 (FA Cup Final) or Final day
    - Man Utd exhausted
    - Picks remaining for all other teams so fairly free hand to choose whatever Sky doesn't pick
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everton v Stoke, is good for me, as im a ESPN subscriber, and have been waiting for them to show an Everton game.

As this is about Live Premier League Games, why do you guys feel espn haven't shown everton up until then, weve had a really good season, and feel they could have shown us more. I think Sky have probably shown us more than tey normally do though.

Come next season, and with BT coming in, do you think they will often pick Everton Games, as we aren't a top 4 side, even if wed like to think so. Surely BT will be interested in teams between like 5-8, which I would class everton, if Sky, try to get the majority if not all the top 4 clashes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If both Super Sunday games are postponed then Sky will obviously show both of them when they are played as they are must show marquee games. They would both go to midweeks which means prime-time and good ratings.

Only problem is there are 5 other games which could also be postponed:

- 3 games on 9/10 Mar subject to FA Cup R6
    - Man City v Chelsea (Sun 24 Feb) subject to Capital One Cup Final
    - West Ham v Spurs (Mon 25 Feb) subject to FA Cup R5 replay

So in total up to 7 live Sky games could get postponed. Obviously it's very unlikely all 7 will be postponed but if it's as many as 4 or 5 then it could get quite messy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As this is about Live Premier League Games, why do you guys feel espn haven't shown everton up until then, weve had a really good season, and feel they could have shown us more. I think Sky have probably shown us more than tey normally do though.

Come next season, and with BT coming in, do you think they will often pick Everton Games, as we aren't a top 4 side, even if wed like to think so. Surely BT will be interested in teams between like 5-8, which I would class everton, if Sky, try to get the majority if not all the top 4 clashes

It's impossible to say really - ESPN has also only shown one Chelsea game and two Spurs games.

There's quite a bit of luck in how it pans out - ESPN's strategy will mainly focus on picking the big 6 and it's a question of whether the available games for them lead to them "hitting" a big 6 v Everton or a big 6 v Newcastle or a big 6 v Villa or West Ham which are the teams in the 7th to 10th choice bracket.

It'll be much the same with BT next season - impossible to predict accurately - ie in the weeks BT has 1st pick if no big 6 head to head then who is Man Utd / Liverpool etc playing which will come down to luck.

In contrast Sky picks are much more predictable as with vast majority of live games they can construct overall strategy which is then only subject to very minor interference.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,077
    Forum Member
    I suspect Sky are really looking forward to Southampton v Everton given today's rather surprising and harsh sacking of Mr Adkins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    I suspect Sky are really looking forward to Southampton v Everton given today's rather surprising and harsh sacking of Mr Adkins.

Yeah, I bet sky have there fingers crossed it isn't affected the by the weather, cause of the snow and wanting to see how many fixtures get postponed ive watched SSN a lot today, I couldn't believe it when they announced Nigel Adkins have been sacked, but listening to a supporters guy just now, Nicola Courtese has never wanted to go to a supporters event, another owner, who has totally no idea, how football works
  • Options
    Stereophonic83Stereophonic83 Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That game was actually scheduled for the Sunday, that and Blackpool v Spurs got called off and Sky didn't have a Super Sunday and if I remember correctly the Blackpool-Spurs game wasn't shown on the rearranged date.