Options

YouTube...on NOW TV box

walmesdanwalmesdan Posts: 806
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

Just noticed on my NOW TV box that 'YouTube' is officially on the app list..& they have posted on Facebook etc it's now on the NOW TV box :) Haven't had chance to try it yet.

Comments

• Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please let me know if it has all the same glitches as on my Humax HD recorder.

Many files won't play as they're in the "incorrect format".

There is no "back button" facility, so that if the suggestions list on th eright of the screen gets populated by things you don't want. You can't go back a page, but have to go back to the search menu and start again from the beginning.

The initial screen is populated by "popular" searches, which are always rubbish. Who cares what the popular searches are?
  • Options
    KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel Store is down.

Useless!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Please let me know if it has all the same glitches as on my Humax HD recorder.

Many files won't play as they're in the "incorrect format".

There is no "back button" facility, so that if the suggestions list on th eright of the screen gets populated by things you don't want. You can't go back a page, but have to go back to the search menu and start again from the beginning.

The initial screen is populated by "popular" searches, which are always rubbish. Who cares what the popular searches are?

Tried it out tonight...as someone mentioned on NOW TV's Facebook page that it is slow to load...but I think that will improve in time. You can link your mobile/tablet/PC so you can play from them to the NOW TV box....they seem to load quicker from them. As mentioned in the quote above...it does seem to be the same as the Humax HD recorder....comes up 'Incorrect Format' on some videos etc......but most I've tried tonight have worked.

Good addition to the NOW TV box. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    walmesdan wrote: »
    Tried it out tonight...as someone mentioned on NOW TV's Facebook page that it is slow to load...but I think that will improve in time. You can link your mobile/tablet/PC so you can play from them to the NOW TV box....they seem to load quicker from them. As mentioned in the quote above...it does seem to be the same as the Humax HD recorder....comes up 'Incorrect Format' on some videos etc......but most I've tried tonight have worked.

Good addition to the NOW TV box. :D

Forgot to mention...there is a back button...that goes back to your previous screen or search...& you login to your YouTube account (same as PC/mobile/tablet)....that brings up your history & saved 'ready to play' so you can play (quicker than searching) on your NOW TV box.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see a Back button on the screen, although there is one on the remote, which takes me back to the Search screen. It's also quite annoying that you can't delete individual search words - it's all or nothing.

I'm also wondering how the iPlayer works on different platforms, as I'd greatly prefer the new version with nature and history programmes (from what I remember) given their own category, rather than being all lumped together under Factual. I would have thought that if the BBC changes the interface it would automatically take on the new format no matter where you were viewing it from.
  • Options
    chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'Pair' your phone function of the NowTV box YouTube app pretty much gives you the same functionality as a ChromeCast !

not sure I need my ChromeCast any more now ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is doing my head in now.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very welcome addition , I've linked it with my phone and tablet and it works perfectly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only person who can't get it?
  • Options
    AnotherPOVAnotherPOV Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 26/04/17 - 15:34 #11
    Today in order for Dad and me to watch You Tube videos together on our 'smart' TV and some of the videos on You Tube channels I subscribe to I got the small black Now TV box from my local Sainsbury's as Now TV has the You Tube app, and I've just finished trying to get the You Tube channels I've subscribed to.

No luck.

Now TV is also essentially a subscription TV service, so beware. I am not the only person that Now TV has disappointed, as You Tube on my PC has lots of videos showing Now TV isn't as good as it's been promoted as.

Note: I had zero interest in all the TV features, all I wanted was access to You Tube via the app, as Sony has removed the You Tube app, from our TV as it was built in 2010, as Sony has discontinued support for it in older TV's, and I'm also not the only person who feels they have been shafted by corporate interests, as the You Tube feature was one of the main reasons I bought this TV in the first place.

I'll give searching for my subscribed channels another go tonight after I've put Dad to bed, but if still no luck, I'll be cancelling my account, and the little Now TV black box, will end up in the big red electrical recycling skip at my local council recycling tip.

Just as well I'm only down 15 quid, as it was on offer and not the usual 25 quid the little Now TV box costs.

Not a happy bunny am I. It looked to good to be true, and it was. :(

• Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 26/04/17 - 16:49 #12
    What is the exact nature of the problem? YouTube will work fine on Now TV boxes, even if you don't have a subscription (to Now).

To see the channels you subscribe to on YouTube, simply sign in to YouTube on the Now box and your channels, watch history etc will all become available.
  • Options
    ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems the poster is complaining that a subsidised streaming device designed to give access to NOW TV isn't giving them access to everything they want!?!

FORGETTING it is a subsidised streaming device for NOW TV!!!