Options

Thom Yorke and BitTorrent

TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
Forum Member
✭✭
Can't believe there isn't a thread on Thom Yorke and his surprise album released on BitTorrent.

I would never have seen this coming given his comments on other online distribution methods but it is good to see him experimenting with BitTorrent.

Technology does not have to be the enemy and I wish more big name artists would go down a similar road in distributing their work.

Comments

• Options
    SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charging people to download a torrent... I find that idea hilarious.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    I'm not quite sure he has fully understood the purpose of Torrents.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charging people to download a torrent... I find that idea hilarious.

Its ludicrous. All its doing is promoting torrents and getting people interested in them who previously were not. There will be hundreds of free torrents of his album available to download, so why does he think everyone will pay for his one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Its ludicrous. All its doing is promoting torrents and getting people interested in them who previously were not. There will be hundreds of free torrents of his album available to download, so why does he think everyone will pay for his one.

He admits that he is trying something new and has no idea how it will go. At least there is someone out there willing to try something new, god knows the mainstream music industry would never do it.

This is how innovation happens. Trying new things, failing, trying again with changes.
  • Options
    DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmm its not really new or innovation though is it? What next, Thom's super innovative idea of using a strange place he recently discovered whilst out on a Sunday called a "car boot sale" to sell his next album? I love the first three Radiohead albums but the words "plot" and "lost" sum up everything he and the rest of the band have done after that, both musically and in terms of selling and promoting their music. Just more smug self-indulgent crap from Thom as per usual, nothing new there.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He admits that he is trying something new and has no idea how it will go. At least there is someone out there willing to try something new, god knows the mainstream music industry would never do it.

This is how innovation happens. Trying new things, failing, trying again with changes.

But how exactly is it something new. Every album that an artist releases becomes a torrent anyway so what's the difference. Whats wrong with a simple download that's everyone has been doing for the last 10 years.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmm its not really new or innovation though is it? What next, Thom's super innovative idea of using a strange place he recently discovered whilst out on a Sunday called a "car boot sale" to sell his next album? I love the first three Radiohead albums but the words "plot" and "lost" sum up everything he and the rest of the band have done after that, both musically and in terms of selling and promoting their music. Just more smug self-indulgent crap from Thom as per usual, nothing new there.

In Rainbows is right up there with The Bends and OK Computer as a complete album, and all their albums have their fair share of good songs, although Pablo Honey, Amnesiac and The King of Limbs are probably their weakest efforts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    But how exactly is it something new. Every album that an artist releases becomes a torrent anyway so what's the difference. Whats wrong with a simple download that's everyone has been doing for the last 10 years.

Umm, it's illegal? At least there is someone who is trying to legitimise torrents as a valuable distribution network for all creators instead of leaving it primarily used by pirates.

I have been arguing all these years that torrents have a host of legitimate uses and not just for copyright infringement and here we have a big name artist trying to incorporate it into his business model.
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    In Rainbows is right up there with The Bends and OK Computer as a complete album, and all their albums have their fair share of good songs, although Pablo Honey, Amnesiac and The King of Limbs are probably their weakest efforts.

Hail to the Thief is rubbish - sounds like a collection of half baked B-sides.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Umm, it's illegal? At least there is someone who is trying to legitimise torrents as a valuable distribution network for all creators instead of leaving it primarily used by pirates.

I have been arguing all these years that torrents have a host of legitimate uses and not just for copyright infringement and here we have a big name artist trying to incorporate it into his business model.

Don't a lot of people use torrents for Linux distros and other open source software as well? I know the makers of LXLE offer the download as a torrent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't a lot of people use torrents for Linux distros and other open source software as well? I know the makers of LXLE offer the download as a torrent.

They do (as well as other things) but it is mostly used for copyright infringement. That's why I see Thom Yorke's attempt to legitimise the technology as a good thing. If he is successful, it could spread and become the de facto distribution method.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hail to the Thief is rubbish - sounds like a collection of half baked B-sides.

I actually rate at least three quarters of that album quite highly. The other quarter is less impressive to me.
  • Options
    rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from the OP most people commenting here seem to have missed the point. The album has been released via a torrent, but one you have to pay for. Obviously yes there will immediately be other free i.e. illegal torrents of it available so anyone can still steal it, but the point he (Yorke) is trying to make is that it's now possible for artists to sell their music direct to a large audience, for a smaller price than they would through a middle man. Of course it still relies on a basic agreement on the part of consumers to part with an amount of cash, but £3.68 through a BitTorrent paygate seems great value as opposed to nearer £10 through iTunes or whoever.

It may catch on, it may not. At the end of the day some people will still steal. Thom Yorke can afford not to make money out of this record, of course, but many smaller artists would like to make a living wage out of their output and the principle is that charging a few quid by selling direct may ultimately make them more money than simply streaming through Spotify and receiving a pittance, or handing over a vast chunk of proceeds to a record and distribution company.

It's easy to be cynical and assume there is nothing that can be done any more to change the way music is sold, but you never know till someone tries to challenge the status quo, so good on Yorke and Godrich for at least having a go.

Moreover the album is, in my opinion, very good and well worth £3.68. I won't miss that money - and believe me I am on a very very tight budget - and nor would many other people, and I know it's all going back to the people who created the music and not some suit in an office somewhere.

And..if you don't like Thom Yorke you don't have to download it. It's not been forced on people like that other album this month..:D
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I look forward to hearing his new album.I liked The Eraser.
    And Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows are great albums, just sayin :p
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

this is probably what a lot of radiohead fans are thinking. what happened to the guy who make the bends and ok computer?

recently it seems to be more about releasing music in ways slightly different from the norm, rather than bothering to make good music

radiohead are a bit like pink Floyd or Fleetwood mac in that they have an early period liked by some fans and a later period hated by early fans and vice versa fans of the later stuff don't like the early stuff much. with the bends and ok computer there were great b sides and non album tracks, but since then it's like he's mashed his MacBook keyboard in garageband whilst wearing a blindfold and rambled into the mic. the only thing memorable about the new album is all the digital effects used, not the actual music of lyrics
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    this is probably what a lot of radiohead fans are thinking. what happened to the guy who make the bends and ok computer?

recently it seems to be more about releasing music in ways slightly different from the norm, rather than bothering to make good music

radiohead are a bit like pink Floyd or Fleetwood mac in that they have an early period liked by some fans and a later period hated by early fans and vice versa fans of the later stuff don't like the early stuff much. with the bends and ok computer there were great b sides and non album tracks, but since then it's like he's mashed his MacBook keyboard in garageband whilst wearing a blindfold and rambled into the mic. the only thing memorable about the new album is all the digital effects used, not the actual music of lyrics

Radiohead still release plenty of great songs, they've just moved on with their music, like most interesting bands do. Something like Staircase from a couple of years ago stands right up there with their best work. :)
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many artists already sell music directly to fans via their own website or sites like bandcamp. Not sure how this is being particularly ground breaking
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So can anyone actually talk about the music and tell us what the album is like?

What does it sound like? Radiohead stuff or more electronic or something different altogether?
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Except In Rainbows was the best album they've ever made.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it's not on CD this is where I part company with Mr Yorke after 22 years.
  • Options
    DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think this comment absolutely totally spot on, especially about him operating the Macbook blindfolded whilst mumbling into the mic :D. I have nothing against Thom and Radiohead making electronic music, its just that to me they don't make very good electronic music. And even when they plug the guitars in again you think...oh dear...where's the magic gone? As a wise man once sang:

Ground Control to Major Thom
    Your circuit's dead,
    there's something wrong
    Can you hear me, Major Thom?
    Can you....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    So can anyone actually talk about the music and tell us what the album is like?

What does it sound like? Radiohead stuff or more electronic or something different altogether?

It's electronic. Okay, but I prefer the Radiohead material more.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rachelgata wrote: »
    It's easy to be cynical and assume there is nothing that can be done any more to change the way music is sold, but you never know till someone tries to challenge the status quo, so good on Yorke and Godrich for at least having a go.

Well the talk is that Apple are going to try their best to change it in conjunction with U2. Something about a new way to consume music that will make it very easy for independent artists to sell music and make people want to buy music rather than download it. No details yet tho.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the talk is that Apple are going to try their best to change it in conjunction with U2. Something about a new way to consume music that will make it very easy for independent artists to sell music and make people want to buy music rather than download it. No details yet tho.

Bandcamp does that nicely :p
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »
    Except In Rainbows was the best album they've ever made.

You make it sound like that is a fact rather than your opinion.