Options

Who misses Rose?

RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know Donna is the most popular companion on here. I really really miss Rose though! It's a shame she can't come back, although it is best if she dosen't anyway so the show moves on. I'm annoyed how she went with the human doctor.

I miss her :( Do you miss Rose? Billie Piper's acting was fab.

Comments

• Options
    VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Donna is the most popular companion on here. I really really miss Rose though! It's a shame she can't come back, although it is best if she dosen't anyway so the show moves on. I'm annoyed how she went with the human doctor.

I miss her :( Do you miss Rose? Billie Piper's acting was fab.

Like a hole in the head.
  • Options
    molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah i liked Rose alot. She was MY (start of the new series) companion i.e. people from the previous series remember their starting companion like they do the doctor.

I think for now, it's best left where it is. Unless a one off special like the earth defence thing happened.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked Rose, but I don't miss her, for me her story is over, the Doctor is over the pain of losing her....so no strory to go back to. I love Donna, do miss her, but I still don't want her back either. I am pretty much looking forward to the kooky Amy Pond....
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've missed Rose a few times.
    But my aim is improving, so fingers crossed...
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really, tbh. I think she was a great character in series 1 but rather diminished in terms of likability there after.
  • Options
    VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Not really, tbh. I think she was a great character in series 1 but rather diminished in terms of likability there after.

I was being a bit facetious with my previous reply, but I think you've hit the nail perfectly on the head here. I did actually like her a lot in series 1, but she became thoroughly smug and dislikeable in Series 2.
  • Options
    RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They ruined her character by her going with the human doctor. I miss that voice of Rose's as well and Billie's acting :-( I'm looking forward to Amy though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't really miss her after she was gone - although Martha's uber-hotness helped, of course. I missed her more in most of series 4, but then I missed just about every companion the Doc had ever had then, cos they all would have preferable to Donna. Even bloody Adric.

I was initially pleased to see Rose back at the one his of series 4, but then RTD went and made one of his, admittedly rare mistakes (Donna being the other one), and just brought her back to waste her for three episodes, and then undo one of the best endings ever with some ludicrous clone/replacement-boyfriend tosh.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I didn't really miss her after she was gone - although Martha's uber-hotness helped, of course. I missed her more in most of series 4, but then I missed just about every companion the Doc had ever had then, when compared to Donna.

I was initially pleased to see Rose back at the one his of series 4, but then RTD went and made one of his, admittedly rare mistakes (Donna being the other one), and just brought her back to waste her for three episodes, and then undo one of the best endings ever with some ludicrous clone/replacement-boyfriend tosh.

Yeah. I actually thought Rose worked best with
    Eccles' Doctor rather than Tennant's -there was
    some tension there, and they did argue, but they
    also had a friendship. Ten and Rose's relationship just seemed very lovey-dovey and smug, which was a shame as
    otherwise I liked Season 2.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah. I actually thought Rose worked best with
    Eccles' Doctor rather than Tennant's -there was
    some tension there, and they did argue, but they
    also had a friendship. Ten and Rose's relationship just seemed very lovey-dovey and smug, which was a shame as
    otherwise I liked Season 2.

I agree with you, other than that I'm honestly not that fond of series 2 as a whole - a few gems aside. It's a shame because the character worked so well initally, and I think Billie really proved a few people wrong who wrote her off before the series started. I understand the intent was, I think, to demonstrate a 'pride goes before a fall' kind of story arch, but it didn't really work for me, in so much as I didn't really care about Rose leaving period by the end of series 2 and I'm sure that wasn't the intent. Ironically enough, the scene with Rose and Ten in EOT was the only time I actually felt they worked well together on screen...
  • Options
    QuantumLeapQuantumLeap Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Rose in the first series. The second series she annoyed the hell out of me and in the fourth series they shouldn't have brought her back again.

However, I did like her in The End of Time. Her character was reset, so to speak, and I remembered what it was I liked about her back in 2005.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Rose a lot, and was sad to lose her in Doomsday. But companions have always come and gone, and she got a great bittersweet ending. And then Martha came along and I liked her too, so the show moved on as it always does.

Then they brought her back in Series 4 and gave her a crap and meaningless ending that destroyed the point of the great ending in Doomsday :mad:

I miss her in a sense, but that doesn't mean I want to see her again. Let's move on; there's a new companion waiting to charm us and take her own place in Who history, hopefully without any past companions coming back to steal her limelight.
  • Options
    ducturductur Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss the Rose who didn't have the speech impediment... The one that came back from the other dimension to lock horns with Davros was a right royal irritation..

D
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... sorry, thought it was a rhetorical question ... :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That last smile she gave the Doctor in The End of Time was a perfect goodbye. Billie was wonderful as Rose in the Ecclestone series in particular, and though I'd be happy to see her back for a special in the medium-term future, I'm optimistic that we've got one hell of a treat, in the form of Amy Pond, approaching at a rate of knots.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do miss Rose every episode she isn't in i go well rose would of done this and that. Cant help but every time i watch doctor who i think of rose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again i agree with those who preferred series 1 Rose. And have to admit to being a bit excited about her little appearances throughout series 4, but was let down by the ending she was finally given. Totally ruined the Doomsday ending in my eyes.
    I don't miss her at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Nope, don't miss her. I liked her series one, and she didn't even really irritate me in series 2 all that much - I cried over Doomsday for sure. But then I dried my eyes and fell in love with Martha when she joined the TARDIS.

I think it depends really when you first came to the Who fandom. I grew up with it (Five was my first Doctor) and so I expected a regular turnover of companions - while I was affected by Doomsday's ending I didn't expect the Doctor to mope about losing Rose for any great extended period of time, and I didn't miss her when she left. Frankly got a bit annoyed when the Doctor consequently wouldn't shut up about her ... way to make your next companion feel completely undervalued (and don't even get me started on making unrequited love a plot device ... that sucks badly enough IRL without including it in programmes you watch for entertainment!!). But yeah, for those people whose first experience of Who was the new series, I guess it might have proved harder to let Rose go than I found it.

I've liked every companion so far, aside from annoyance at the show for refusing to let Rose go - she's just another companion! - but am looking forward to seeing how Amy and Eleven click. :-)
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Not at all.She never enters my head. I would miss Martha before missing Rose, I did not like her character, and she can never compare to Donna Noble, the most noble of all companions in nuWho.
  • Options
    ultron29ultron29 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YES!

She was the best and got two awesome endings...they finished her storyarc well! :)

Doomsday was just immence!
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I was sick to death of seeing her in every series.
  • Options
    musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I don't miss Rose. They ruined her by bringing her back in season 4. Her role in Series 4 was pointless and added nothing to the on going plot and action. She was a great character but I miss Donna more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    I love all the companions and I'd love to see them all again. But no, I don't miss them. I'm ready for change and Amy looks like she's going to be crackin' :)
  • Options
    mrellis33mrellis33 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not really, i didn't like her with DT, only with Eccleson
  • Options
    NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    musicdude wrote: »
    I don't miss Rose. They ruined her by bringing her back in season 4. Her role in Series 4 was pointless and added nothing to the on going plot and action. She was a great character but I miss Donna more.

I think her role in Turn Left was great. And really, the only problem with her in Stolen Earth was the necessity of writing her out again without a good reason. Russell learned from that I think, and didn't give Donna her memory back because once she had it back, she'd go back to the Doctor. It's easy to bring back companions who left willingly like Martha, Jack (second time) and Sarah Jane (after school reunion). But if they're forced to leave the Doctor you can't bring them back unless they get over him in the interim.

Probably should have left her in Turn Left. She does her part to repair things and leaves, without ever seeing the Doctor again.